HELP, NEW POWER CHAIR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP, NEW POWER CHAIR?

I went to a wheel Chair Clinic at my rehab and got fitted for a new power chair. A Quickie P-222 with tilt recline option. I have a worn out P-200 that a guy gave me right after I was hurt and I have used it for 6 years now. The problem is I drive from my chair in my mini-van. When I was down there I explained to them all that the new chair couldn't be any higher then the old one I have now. . They took all the measurement for the new chair. Well when my new chair came in this week its 4 inches to tall. I'm 6' tall and a C-7 Quad. My knees hit the hand controls and my head hits the roof before I can even reach the steering wheel. They took it back and said they would get it fixed. They called and told me today that they don't make a Quickie power chair any lower. I just can't figure out why they can not built one lower then that one. I know I'm not the first to have a mini-van and drive from the power chair. I need ideals on a chair that will work now. Does anyone else know?

Thanks,
    Brad

it's the tilt that makes it too tall. i think jazzy and permobile have lower profile tilt systems.

'The more you dissaprove the more fun it is for me.'
    Death and taxes

Comment

Originally posted by TIGGER74:

I went to a wheel Chair Clinic at my rehab and got fitted for a new power chair. A Quickie P-222 with tilt recline option. I have a worn out P-200 that a guy gave me right after I was hurt and I have used it for 6 years now. The problem is I drive from my chair in my mini-van. When I was down there I explained to them all that the new chair couldn't be any higher then the old one I have now. . They took all the measurement for the new chair. Well when my new chair came in this week its 4 inches to tall. I'm 6' tall and a C-7 Quad. My knees hit the hand controls and my head hits the roof before I can even reach the steering wheel. They took it back and said they would get it fixed. They called and told me today that they don't make a Quickie power chair any lower. I just can't figure out why they can not built one lower then that one. I know I'm not the first to have a mini-van and drive from the power chair. I need ideals on a chair that will work now. Does anyone else know?

Thanks,
      Brad
      why as a c7 would u even consider a power chair
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps:

why as a c7 would u even consider a power chair
        Well I live out in the Country and it's not very flat. I work on a Construction site and it is not easy to get around either. I'm more a C-5 or a C-6 on my right arm too. If my right arm was as strong as my left arm I'd probably be in a manual chair full time. I also have a 8 year old son I have to keep up with too... Soccer, fishing and doing things around here on the farm. A manual chair is just not a option for everyday use.

Comment

Invacare has the lowest floor-to-seat height chairs that I've found. Don't put a tilt system on it... it's expensive & not necessary @ your level.

I'm c6/7 too - & yes, I understand why you'd consider a power chair. I live in hilly areas & I'm 10x more independent with it than in my manual chair... plus I'm typically out all day on my own. Not having to worry about getting stuck somewhere is a major plus for me.

I've had a Ranger X for 5 years. I can't say I really like it, but it's been quite a workhorse for me, w/ very little problems.

Comment

Cspine is right, it's the tilt. We went round and round on this issue, and ended up lowering the leg hangers a little (without putting undue pressure on thighs) to get under tables. It seems that the front wheel drive chairs are lower. Considered a low-profile cushion, but decided it wasn't worth the risk. DON'T feel bad about a powerchair- everyone has different needs and abilities, C5 or C7 are just numbers and don't tell the whole story. My brother ducks a little to get in the van but head is clear once in, I would think it dangerous to not have enough head clearance while driving, especially if you hit a bump. Go to wheelchairjunkies.com, this problem has been discussed there with solutions offered. Brad D uses a Quickie with tilt and a mini van, maybe he could help also. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Tigger.

I too have a P222, am 6 ft tall and drive a minivan similar to member Brad's pics.
              I am C 5-6.

I purchased my P222 when it first came out and, as I recall, It was pretty adjustable. Can they lower the rear seat (dump)?

I am sure the tilt feature adds to the height as cspine mentioned.

Anyhow, what's important is you have a chair that meets your needs and are comfortable in.

You seem to be a very active guy and I was impressed with the features/abilities of Quantum Blast. I never heard of them. Have you? Has anyone else? Anyone use it?

Look at www.pridemobility.com and click "Quantum". All the size specs are there.

Here is direct link to product:
              http://www.pridemobility.com/quantum...sp?ID=q-xtreme

I'm going to check it out when it comes time for a new chair.

Good luck and best regards,

Comment

I have a Permobil w/tilt and recline and I'm 6', I fit in my mini van just fine, better than my old Invacare. However I do beleive the new Invacare's are lower.

Dave
                Dave
                C5/C6 complete
                http://www.davegrotzinger.com
                http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Comment

Working...
                X