Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardening

Has anyone else been playing in the dirt? Anyone have any good tips, esp. for limited hand function?

Wal-Mart had good hand tool. Big wood handles 2" diameter w/ rubber grips-for 1.50 each! If you have good upper body strength or one good leg, you can dig with a sharpshooter (long skinny bladed spade)from your wheelchair.
    \
    I got my numb leg in an ant pile and didn't know it until I came in. Lucky I wasn't still in Texas, fire ants would have eaten me alive.

Planted 4 tomatoes, ordered hostas and 2 shrubs.

Saw an idea-bury soda bottles with pinholes in the bottom of them when you plant. Just fill them with water. Should encourage deep roots and less maintenance.

Y'all chime in-it's springtime! (Finally)

You'd better get a big gun 'cause I'm not dead yet."
    ---The Bad Examples
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

I have always wanted to get a Cannibus garden, maybe one of these days.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

"I have always wanted to get a Cannibus garden, maybe one of these days."

I've always wanted a big lush cannabis garden too Curtis. [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] I guess I'll just have to move to Holland.
      "Oh yeah life goes on
      Long after the thrill of livin is gone"

John Cougar Mellencamp

Comment

Betheny , taking the idea of putting a bottle below the root zone of shrubs etc , i used to put a piece of hose [ use a size that just fits into opening and then tape around it ] into the top of the bottle . cut the hose long enough so that the top end of it is above ground level after burying bottle . then fill this every few days [depending on climate etc ] .

thank you
        dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .
        Every day I wake up is a good one .

Comment

Bethany, I use normal garden tools. Then again I dont have any problems with grip. I dug a new flower bed last week and put soil in it saturday. Now if it quits raining I'll go and get some flowers. Last year I dug a pond in the corner of the back yard. Took a few days but I got it done. My perinials I planted last year have come up [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"Often our suffering or the suffering of others blinds us to the reality that the sovereign God is working His own good purposes through a fallen world"
          T-10 complete
          10/08/01
          "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

I would love to garden too but bending over with no trunk control doesn't work and using gardening tools is difficult with limited hand function. Having a raised garden would be neat.

Comment

Here are a few adapted gardening sites:

http://geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/1391/disabled.html

http://www.hort.vt.edu/human/pub426020d.html

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...m/homepage.htm

http://www.uchsc.edu/atp/library/fas..._equipment.htm

http://www.achievableconcepts.com.au/garden.htm

http://www.store.yahoo.com/capabilit...andgarden.html

http://abe.sdstate.edu/agrability/rat/lwngrd.html

Books:

Adil, Janeen (1994). Accessible Gardening for People with Physical Disabilities: A guide to Methods, Tools, and Plants. Woodbine House.

Blease, Peter ed. (1990). Able to Garden: A Practical Guide for Disabled and Elderly Gardeners. Horticultural Therocey, Great Britain.

Rothert, Gene (1994). Enabling Gardening: Creating Barrier-Free Gardens. Taylor Publishing Company, Dallas, Texas.

Woy, Joann (1997). Accessible Gardening: Tips & Techniques for Seniors & the Disabled. Stackpole Books.

Yeomons, Kathleen (1992). The Able Gardener: Overcoming Barriers of Age and Physical Limitations. Garden Way Publishing.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I filled some big cow water tanks that had holes in em with dirt so I dont have to bend over and play in the dirt

Comment

Seneca, Put me up for two weeks and I'll bring my tools and build your raised beds. I'll be down about January.

"Often our suffering or the suffering of others blinds us to the reality that the sovereign God is working His own good purposes through a fallen world"
                  T-10 complete
                  10/08/01
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat(wheelinarcher):

Seneca, Put me up for two weeks and I'll bring my tools and build your raised beds. I'll be down about January.
                    Hehe, ok. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] They're basically just wooden boxes on a platform right?

Great resources KLD, thank you.

Comment

I finally finished my garden pond! Just thought I would share it with everybody. I started it last year. We knew what we wanted to do just needed money and time. I am t-10 and I did mostly all the work.

T-10 complete
                      10/08/01

Comment

Ponds are great! Six years ago, a former neighbor installed a small 130 gallon preformed pond for me. I have a few goldfish (shub unkins and sarassas) and some rosy red minnows in it, and my pride and joy, a painted turtle (named Dixon, after Maryland Terrapin basketball star Juan Dixon), which I got from a turtle rescue group. Dixon decided to stick around (it's free to leave if it wishes, and my house borders a woods with a stream), and has hibernated through two winters without a problem, including this past winter from hell. Since it's a native species, there's no problem if it does ever decide to amscray.

What I've never gotten, and want, are toads.

Every day the weather allows, I go sit by the pond. Since I don't get out much due to the dang pains, it's great to have the pond to relax by.
                        Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Alan- A guy down the street has had toads. But they come and go on their own. I thought of picking up a box turtle next time I am in the mountains and see one. I also want some BIG river snails. It would help with the algea. My neighbor said everytime she comes out for a smoke she has to go back in for a pee because of hearing the fountain I have on it.

T-10 complete
                          10/08/01

Comment

Originally posted by Pat(wheelinarcher):

Alan- A guy down the street has had toads. But they come and go on their own. I thought of picking up a box turtle next time I am in the mountains and see one. I also want some BIG river snails. It would help with the algea. My neighbor said everytime she comes out for a smoke she has to go back in for a pee because of hearing the fountain I have on it.
                            A box turtle isn't a water turtle, so it won't live in your pond. The snails are a good idea.
                            Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Maybe what Im seeing is not a box turtle because I see them on the banks of the creeks and lakes. Get too close and in they go!

T-10 complete
                              10/08/01

Comment

Working...
                              X