van battery dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

van battery dying

The battery in my van (2001 Grand Caravan, Rollx conversion) keeps dying. I'm on my second already - a five year heavy duty - and it's dead, too. The only thing we can figure that's draining it is the alarm system. We've called Rollx and the alarm guy, and the van will be checked on Wednesday, but does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem besides the alarm?

Because I so rarely go out, the van isn't exactly overused, but we do start it regularly, and my mom drives it sometimes. We never had this type of trouble with the previous van, a Ford Club Wagan, that also wasn't overused, but had no alarm.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

have your voltage regulator and alternator checked. Actually, newer models may not have voltage regulators anymore, but a screwed up one can definitely wreak havoc on a battery. And so can a bum alternator.

Comment

alan, sounds like you have a negative short. With all the equipment it will take some time to track down. The garage can disconnect one part of the equipment (say the lift for example) overnight and check the battery the next day. This will isolate where the short is.Then they can track it with a volt meter. I would get the people that modded it to do it. They are most likely the culprits.

"Often our suffering or the suffering of others blinds us to the reality that the sovereign God is working His own good purposes through a fallen world"
      T-10 complete
      10/08/01
      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Many voltage regulators are internal to the alternator. Several tests should be performed, a battery no-load test, a battery load test, an alternator no-load test and an alternator load test. More than likely it will be a voltage regulator that is not allowing an adequate charge. Good luck.

Comment

a defective altenator can also drain a battery when it's not running also.

Comment

Thanks - I'll have all these suggestions checked.
            Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

i have a 92 ford van, had battery problems from the time it was new, if it wasnt drove about every 5 days would be dead battery, had it checked out by atleast 5 shops & 30 mechanics no luck.

finaly i got a marine battery & enclosed case for battery at walmart hooked it directly to my wc lift. have not had problems since.

i have heard you should seperate marine battery from regular battery because the charge differantly? mine are not i have had no problems for 4 years now.

Comment

Working...
              X