Newsweek: The Arrogant Empire

The Arrogant Empire

full story at:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/885222.asp

[This message was edited by mkowalski99 on 03-19-03 at 07:15 PM.]
    "Oh yeah life goes on
    Long after the thrill of livin is gone"

John Cougar Mellencamp

The Stock market taking off today is not helping any with the way we are precieved.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

we got some nerve giving iraq's ppl their freedom. we should do like the rest of the world and let them suffer under 20 more years of saddam and sanctions.

Comment

Just the normal Newsweek "spin" on issues...

to begin with a Looming photo of 30 (I think I counted right) people from South Korea (if they truly are, we have thousands more Koreans than that in Fayetteville, NC.) does not indicate that the Majority of South Korea's, nor the World's population agrees with "NO WAR"...as this photo seems to indicate.

And to put it all in a nutshell, NewsWeeks editors would not allow anything to take up the Front Page that was not also their Personal Opinion, along with "By Fareed Zakaria NEWSWEEK".

As for me, and all others, we all have opinions, just that others have a larger, more public and much more expensive "Soap Box".

Comment

DA thinks BusinessWeek is a left wing "liberal" publication.

Is Newsweek now also considered to be Communist Propoganda?

Remember: Just because someone had the audacity to actually question GWB doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make them an Anti-American terrorist or some kind of Marxist.
          "Oh yeah life goes on
          Long after the thrill of livin is gone"

John Cougar Mellencamp

Comment

How could we be right and the entire rest of the world be wrong?

Easy.

Reread the first paragraph of that article. The facts are with us.

"America's unprecedented power scares the world...."

Irrational fear is with everyone else. They just don't want one nation to have so much power.

All I can say is, "Get used to it." And, "Sorry - that's just the way it is."

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
            ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

mko...in this case, it does.

Comment

All empires come crashing down eventually.
                Andrew [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"You can stand me up at the gates of hell
                But I won't back down"
                Tom Petty
                So there we were, Two against ten thousand.
                **** we killed those two!!

Comment

if china decides its land mass isn't big enough for its billions and they try to invade australia, nobody in the world would spill their blood to help you except the usa. and yet you are constantly wishing bad on us.

Comment

I guess we are at a new point in history with the fairly recent outbreak of widespread terrorism as a means of fighting wars on any ground. As easy as it is to critisize the GWB Jr administration, I feeling more comfortable having a take charge guy like him in office rather than a person who was doing nothing. I think we are making tremendous progress in the war against terrorism.

"Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

the left brain women liberals may be right on this issue.

lets give sadam a hand his current killing rate is to low. we should give him more nerve gas then help build a nuke but dont mention it only travels 50 foot before exploding.

Comment

Andrew-

You can't compare the prospect of America's longevity with examples from history.

In the past, the building of an empire is defined in set terms.

The conquest of territory by the feat of arms; the subjugation of foreign citizens; and the plundering of their culture and financial wealth.

I can't think of one exception to this rule.

Obviously America doesn't fit that definition.

As soon as a stable government is installed in Iraq our forces will be pulled out. We will spend billions of dollars rebuilding its infrastructure and aiding its economy.

In two years from now, Iraq will be a free and united country. It will use its natural resources to enrich its people instead of enhancing the vanity of a despot.

On a different note, China has designs of becoming a super power. It has the fasted growing economy in the world and one of the largest populations. In twenty or thirty years its military will be completely modernized; and it will have the capacity to project its power beyond its borders.

I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable when they start exercising some of their ambitions. You can be their number one cheerleader.

Until then, you can stuff your anti-American sentiment up your _ _ _! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by bilby on 03-18-03 at 07:19 PM.]

Comment

from Jeff , quote ''How could we be right and the entire rest of the world be wrong?

Easy.

Reread the first paragraph of that article. The facts are with us.

"America's unprecedented power scares the world...."

Irrational fear is with everyone else. They just don't want one nation to have so much power.

All I can say is, "Get used to it." And, "Sorry - that's just the way it is." '' unquote .
                          Jeff thank you for putting all of us non American people in our place ! after reading your post i begin to see why citizens in other nations perceive Americans as an arrogant self centred people . i will go on my way being wrong sometimes and thinking of this quote '' if you have never made a mistake , you have never made a decision '' . i am not referring to the war here but life in general .

thank you
                          dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

[This message was edited by dogger on 03-18-03 at 07:46 PM.]
                          Every day I wake up is a good one .

Comment

I have just a couple comments and then im done with this war shit because it's just gonna go nowhere.

This war has nothing to do with terrorism if it did then maybe Bin ladden would not still be running around and that business would have been finnished first.

Ignoring the worlds oppinion and stepping back from the UN to wage a war nobody wants is wrong.

The way Bush addresses those who oppose him and this war, breed anti-american senitism through out the world and breeds in countries where it perhaps wasnt found before.

~Shaun~

Comment

just had to pipe up in defense of sanity and good will

andrew, please keep posting in spite of hostility. some ppl around here are getting a little, uh, testy . . .

shaun, what can i say? it's just a fact that a lot of u.s. citizens are sort of like george w.--born luckily into entitlement and privilege, convinced they somehow earned it. . . they do not see how they look from the outside.

and i forget who used the term "left brain liberal women", but i'd appreciate a definition, please . . . it sounds like something i might want to be!

also--seems to me that IF we were always justified in going in virtually alone to take out the nutcase saddam, we should have just gone ahead and done it. the whole charade with the united nations was a mistake, and it's left us looking like we're either stupid or bullies or both. hopefully that observation won't inspire anyone to invite me to go live in iraq . . .

and finally--da, i can't resist! did you actually READ that whole article mike so thoughtfully posted?

[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X