An Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Update

Kathy Porterfield is expected to go home today. This is all that I can say for the moment. I will keep you posted on more information as I find out.

I also want to thank WR, Larwatson, and JoyT for giving Kathy the support and for making the calls to her. I also want to thank all of those in CareCure for your emails to call the attention needed for this case. May God repay you with blessings and good. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Raven

[This message was edited by Raven on Dec 05, 2002 at 12:28 PM.]
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Thanx

Raven
    http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Comment

ty, raven

I also want to thank WR, Larwatson, JoyT and all those for giving Kathy the support and for making the calls to her. I also want to thank all of those in CareCure for your emails to call the attention needed for this case. May God repay you with blessings and good.
      but you gave the mostest and the bestest support, tho...you were steadfast. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

i'm blessed to have you for a friend,
      joy
      "Now, the only healthy way to live life, as I see it, is to enjoy all the little everyday things, like a sip of whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, or a cool breeze on a hot day." -Gus McCrae, from Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

ChloeMagazine
      AccessibleProperties

Comment

it is..

awesome to hear that this sweet lady will finally be going home.

Congratulations Kathy! I hope to talk with you again sometime soon.

Russ Byrd

Comment

Cool. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Rus

But I feel it's time to say goodbye to fear, and feel the fury of these tears, as they run down my face...~ "I'm a Cloud" by - Boy Hits Car

Comment

Great news Raven, thanks for letting us know.

Comment

Great work Raven, Joyt, Whiterabbit, et. al. You folks did an awesome job here.
              What we do in life echoes in eternity. Maximus - Gladiator

Comment

Also.....,

Kathy did say she knew of several people in similar situations. With her help, maybe we could start an active group to try to help these people.

Maybe Ben, LW, and WR could give us a rough outline as to what procedures should be tried and in what order?

That would keep us from accidentally making the situation worse.

I know from personal experience that "proper channels" is not always the way to go if you want to get something accomplished [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img], but it would be nice to have them at least as a first option.

Russ Byrd

Comment

Wonderful

Good work everyone!!!

"Life is about how you
                  respond to not only the
                  challenges you're dealt but
                  the challenges you seek...If
                  you have no goals, no
                  mountains to climb, your
                  soul dies".~Liz Fordred
                  "Life is about how you
                  respond to not only the
                  challenges you're dealt but
                  the challenges you seek...If
                  you have no goals, no
                  mountains to climb, your
                  soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

thanks Raven...for sure

Comment

Originally posted by russell:

Kathy did say she knew of several people in similar situations. With her help, maybe we could start an active group to try to help these people.

Maybe Ben, LW, and WR could give us a rough outline as to what procedures should be tried and in what order?

That would keep us from accidentally making the situation worse.

I know from personal experience that "proper channels" is not always the way to go if you want to get something accomplished [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img], but it would be nice to have them at least as a first option.

Russ Byrd
                      russ,

that is an excellent suggestion, since the ''proper channels'' seem not to want to get involved 99 p/c of the time...until those ''proper channels'' are publicly shamed...maddening, yet sad, isn't it? [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]

joy
                      "Now, the only healthy way to live life, as I see it, is to enjoy all the little everyday things, like a sip of whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, or a cool breeze on a hot day." -Gus McCrae, from Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry

ChloeMagazine
                      AccessibleProperties

Comment

Russ,

Great idea Russ! I'll try to post some thoughts this weekend as starting points for disscussion. We have amazing resources on this board as long as we contain the overwhelming urge to slap each other silly! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Russ,

On the day Kathy was told that she would be allowed to go home, I spoke with JoyT with some ideas I had running through my mind. One of them was doing something to continue to help others who might be undergoing such treatment as Kathy did.

I also told her that I was thinking of using my domain for information and/or support to others in that situation. Right now, I have no precise thing planned but since you bring up the subject, I would like to offer my support and my webspace if needed.

Ben,

I also have some ideas which I would like to discuss with you in reference to doing this for others.

As I previously stated in another thread, my wish is to have us all make a joint effort to correct these abuses and neglect to those who need better care and their rights respected as human beings. As Mary once said...

Imagine what a unified voice would sound like.....imagine the power and resonance this energy would have when channeled and applied in a controlled and goal oriented manor.
                          This is my dream. "A unified voice". Nothing more, nothing less.

Raven
                          Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
                          but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Joyt, Ben, Raven.....

Thanks for your ideas..this could end up being awesome! I will help in any way I can.

Raven writes;

"I have no precise thing planned but since you bring up the subject, I would like to offer my support and my webspace if needed."

I have a better idea, why don't you offer your leadership in this venture? I know I would follow your lead and the steps for this new outline.

It would also be great to have Kathy's leadership in this if she can get online soon.She definitely has an inside perspective that will help.

Then, after all else fails in the outline, we can unleash the rage of angels against the evil organizations [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Russ Byrd

Comment

Nursing home watchdog

Sounds like a good idea,I Know this stuff is common from experience.I have a friend with MS in one and had an ex-wife who worked in one.Were these others that Kathy knew in the same Beverly Health system home? You almost need something like the PVA which takes pretty good care of the V.A patients. They check periodically in groups and each patient gets a visit and a card with the rep.'s name address, phone to call if you have a complaint. They did random visits too. I know we can't get near that elaborate but maybe we could at least watch out for each other and make information available.I think I've heard of some nursing home rating sites.When I looked for Law firms that did nursing home neglect and abuse cases they were pretty scarce. I'd be glad to help out. A good way to start is like Ben said-putting together some ideas.All states have regulations, I guess the trick is to make sure they are enforced. Kathy was apparently ignored for a long time.That shouldn't happen.WR

Comment

Working...
                              X