What are you proud of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you proud of?

Since your sci, what have you accomplished that you really are proud of...whether it's a big thing or a little thing that's big to you?

(I am just trying to jazz up the topics...hey, you can't blame a girl for trying! LOL!)...

Teena

I've been a quad since I was three years old. In my lifetime I've completed grade school, high school, and now I'm almost finished with college. I've been a camp counselor, led a church group, and was selected to Iowa's first YLF. I feel that everything I've done has been an accomplishment of same sort.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

I am most proud of

Running my own service station starting in 1987 and retiring in 1998. It was hard for sure, especially being a t-4 paraplegic, but very rewarding, both financially and knowing what I am Capable of doing. There were times when workers did not show and I had to work on cars myself and pump gas all while rushing back and forth and greeting and cashing out customers from behind the counter. I remember, at busy times, I would have to replace my wheelchair tires every couple of weeks due to all the rolling around I would do. It was a very physical job, sometimes, especially when I first started out, I would work alone for 14 hour shifts, and then go right back to work at 6am the next mourning and be flipping those open signs again.

At one point I got run into by a car as I was Directing it onto one of the lifts and the Worker mashed down the Accelerator instead of the brake and I was catapulted right out of my wheelchair and onto the hood of the car and crashed through the rear wall of the station and down a 12 foot high embankment. The wheelchair was smashed into about 20 pieces, luckly somehow my legs were not crushed. Spent the night in the Hospital and was back at work the next day to open at 6am. Business went gang busters after that as all the local newspaper reporters came down the next day and did a story on me and called me "Man of Steel". Had to Hire new workers to handle all the business, that was in 1992 and for the next six years, I was so busy, I got burned out and sold the business.

I still get people saying to me, "oh it must be nice to have all you're money", well, I just tell them, then you go and work for it, thats how I made it.

"Life is about how you
      respond to not only the
      challenges you're dealt but
      the challenges you seek...If
      you have no goals, no
      mountains to climb, your
      soul dies".~Liz Fordred
      "Life is about how you
      respond to not only the
      challenges you're dealt but
      the challenges you seek...If
      you have no goals, no
      mountains to climb, your
      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Survived

this last year, and done better than anyone expected. This has/is been the biggest challenge I've ever had to face and I'm damn proud of how I've done thus far.
        Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Being a Father

My son was six weeks old when I was injured. He is twenty-four now.

I became a single parent when he was two. He still has a close relationship with his mother but I have been the "primary parent" since he was two and his mother lives out of state.

Like many fathers and sons we've had our share of ups and downs but He hs turnd out to be a good human being.

Being a parent has always been what I considered the most important and significant job in my life.

Comment

I'm proud of the fact that, despite the doctors prognosis that i'll never walk again, i am able to walk short distances with forearm crutches. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Damn Near Everything

After my accident my aunt gave me a sticker that said "I've survived damn near everything". That in itself is true... in reality:

Within the past 2 months:
              Graduated college
              Started a real job (and a DAMN good one at that)
              Moved into my own appartment alone
              Got Engaged!!!!

And all that as a Quad... Screw the doctors that told me my life would change... My life is the same, i just do things differently!!!!!
              -Torsten

Comment

Everything...

Considering I was injured young, I have accomplished a lot. I graduated high school with an honor's diploma, went to college and got a psych degree (and graduated in 3 1/2 years), and have a great job. I am VERY proud of the fact that I don't have a huge chip on my shoulder, like a lot of SCIs, and I don't feel that the world owes me. I am also very proud of the fact that no one has ever had to pay my way and that I've always done for myself. Not everyone can say that. I think sometimes you have to look around at others to see how fortunate you are and really count your blessing (or even better so, to give yourself a pat on the back).

Right now I am most proud of my relationship with my boyfriend. He is the best thing that's ever happened to me and there is none other like him in the world.

Comment

Wow, all of you are amazing. Congratulations. I'm bowing and applauding.

I'm not sure what I'm proud of except for my marriage. Everything else has changed so much that I'm still in the rebuilding process.

One thing this year though that will be with me forever. I'm proud to be an American who was able to carry the olympic torch in my country.

Onward and Upward!

Comment

Proud

Hey Teena,
                    I'm proud of the fact I'm a happy 53 year old Paraplegic.To me it is an acomplishment to live,i mean really LIVE...amen

Comment

Special

I read the other's and you know what,YOU ARE ALL SPECIAL PEOPLE....

Comment

those who have responded ahead of me are obviously awesome human beings,,,i don't like to be called or considered an inspiration myself, but you folks are inspiring,,,as for me,,,things i am most proud of,,,,cared for my baby girl from the time she was 3 months old and her mommy had to go back to work so we could eat...then, i owned an educational supply store until i wore myself on those 14 hour days, messed my health up and was forced to sell...then i did the house mouse thing again while my kid's mom went to college,,,i helped all i could to get her, her mother, sister, & brother thru school...then i went myself as my pre-dis profession(firefighter) was not an option(*rueful giggle*)...i graduated with an AAS in architectural technology as the honor grad in my division(3.9 GPA) of which i am mondo proud of,,,now i am operating my own residential drafting/design biz and word of mouth sez i am the best in this small hole in the ground,,,sci has given me the greatest gift,,,the 5 years @ home caring for my daughter,,,time that i wouldn't trade for the ability to walk again,,,kinda strange but i feel that way in my heart...jeff da bear

Comment

Proud...

Wow, y'all!

I first want to tell Harper to PRINT the post you put on this thread...and keep it for that precious child of yours...she will love what you said about not trading your time with her! And keep it someplace until she's old enough to understand...and y'all will be even closer, trust me!

You all have managed to do more with your lives than I have with mine, that's for sure! And you are right, Murrey...living as in existing is not the same as LIVING as in enjoying life and getting the best from it!!! Glad you can see past your nose! [img]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I could email you all privately and comment and comment and comment some more...but I guess I will spare you my thoughts...except to say that y'all are the best and you deserve the best!

Teena

Comment

Working...
                          X