cars that lend to easy transfers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cars that lend to easy transfers?

not that i'm really in the market for one right now - i'm just curious what cars some of you have found easy to transfer into -- i know there have been vehicle posts in the past - but what helps ease transfers the most? (2-door, ground clearance, etc)

i saw a few pics of a para getting into a 3-door saturn SC2, & i just started thinking & observing other cars on the road to see what might be resonable options (e.g. honda accord or civic coupes, toyota camry solara, pontiac grand am, etc.)

any thoughts? what works?

I find it easiest to get into and out of a vehicle thats level with my chair....hard to find. Easiest so far is actually a small truck...If it's parked near a curb then I am level with the seat.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

I find the easiest transfers into cars with seats the same height as my chair. Before I could drive myself, I got rides from many friends in many vehicles. The easiest was a Subaru Forrester because the door was wide enough and the seat height was perfect. Other cars that work well for me are our Toyota Prius, the Camry and my Dad's Olds 98. I've found Hondas to be more difficult as their seats are lower than most. However, I'm now strong enough to transfer in and out of everything from a Mazda Miata to a Ford Explorer.

Door width enters in the equation most if you're taking the chair apart next to the vehicle. You need enough clearance between the door post and the steering wheel for the chair frame, especially if it's an ultralight.

I actually drive a Dodge Caravan, without any adaptations except hand controls. I transfer in and take the chair apart. By tilting the seat back, I can brace my shoulder against the door post for support when I lift the frame into the car and place it in the passenger seat. When I was first looking at driving again after my accident, I figured that if my minivan didn't work, I'd buy a used 2-door Cadillac and cruise in style. But the minivan lets me haul around the kids and the dog along with the chair. Darn, a lost opportunity!

Hope this helps.

- Bruce

Comment

I have a dodge intrepid, I went to visit a guy I met in rehab ,c6/7 quad, he did his first car transfer into it solo. The seat height is perfect and like projectorguy said the doorpost helps when geting your chair in and to put it together. I also drive a full size truck but the transfers are anything but easy. The best thing about the four door is I can still get stuff out of the back seat after I get out of the car.

Comment

A friend of mine has a Mitsubishi Galant, and it's easy for me to get in and out of.

~Rus

"Sometimes it's hard to see tomorrow through yesterday. It's alright to talk about it, but I'm here today" (Zac Maloy / The Nixons)

Comment

I like my Taurus

Easy to transfer into and the chair fits nicely in the front seat when necessary.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
            ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

I drive a Volkswagon Golf. I have found that a lever to move the entire seat up and down (as well as the back rest) is really helpful. Volkswagon will rebate the cost of hand controls and lifts- but I imagine that other car manufacturers would as well if it was brought to their attention.

Comment

I have a Saturn SC2

and I love it. Seat level is fine for me because I'm short enough that I have to sit on a cushion to see over the steering wheel, so it's actually level with my chair. Loading my chair in the back seat is a breeze with the third door - no door post! One thing about it: the door sill is wider than normal, which puts my chair a little farther from the seat. But I had a grab handle installed above the door, like usually found on the passenger side. It works great for transfers.
                Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
                ~ Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by Tara:

I drive a Volkswagon Golf. I have found that a lever to move the entire seat up and down (as well as the back rest) is really helpful...
                  hey tara - what kind of lift do you have on the seat? I used to drive a VW before my accident -- too bad it's a stick shift though [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Mazda Capella - is easy when I'm well enough to drive

Comment

Apparently the new Golf models have the adjustable seat. My car is a 1997 golf. at that time it wasnt available so I just had the dealership replace the driver's seat with the one from the Jetta model. It just has a lever on the botom left and I push on the steering wheel to raise and lower the entire seat.

I am not sure about the newer Golf models as Volkswagon has changed the body styke and it sems quite a bit different than mine.... Maybe it will even work better for accessibility.

Comment

Chris, got a rotary car?

Me too. They're Rx2s over here in the US. They are among the easiest cars to get in and fun to drive. I just put a long primary header from Racing Beat on mine.

Comment

I think

The Cadillac Coupe Deville idea is a good one. I have 1992 Coupe Deville and it is a great w/c Car. Level transfers and plenty of room for the chair behind the seat. Problem is they stopped making this car in 1993, I guess there were a lot of complaints because of the big long heavy doors. That is one problem with the car in that the doors are so long it is very easy to get blocked in if someone parks too close, thats what I like about my three door GMC Sonoma pickup in that doors are short and I almost never get blocked in with that vehicle, whenever I have to go to the city, I take the truck.

"Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          challenges you're dealt but
                          the challenges you seek...If
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred
                          "Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          challenges you're dealt but
                          the challenges you seek...If
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

hey thanks everyone - part of me wants to explore other options other than my caravan... ahh... to be practical, fun, or both?

emi & curtis - you both mentioned small pickups - does it make a difference between 4wd & 2wd models? curtis, what's yours? i know 4wd models tend to ride higher.

peace,
                            ~scott

Comment

GM scores PR points here.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/vehicle...ity/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X