Cope with life and sci well
    0%
    Coping moderately well but SCI a struggle
    0%
    Falling apart because of SCI
    0%
    Life a complete mess and SCI just part of the problem
    0%

Holding it together just enough to make it through the day.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

Depends...

on the day and my mood. Somedays coping with life in general is more of a struggle than SCI. Otherdays its the SCI. Either way, I cope and deal with it and move on.

Comment

All day, all night........

It's all good [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I find...

...the regular daily life issues that everyone including ABs face to be harder to cope with than the sci stuff.

Obviously just a personal opinion.

Comment

Hey, guess what Chris, your poll's exceeded the expected 15-vote count.

[img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

everyday life as a quadriplegic

since my accident i see myself as your average person not as someone who is paralysed or in a wheelchair ! sometimes you just have to take life by the BALL'S and keep trucking !!!

kort
              Kort ...life can change in a split second "a.k.a. paralysis!"

Comment

coping

I don't want to depress anyone, but the first part was a real challenge to gain independence, next I felt near normal for years, had plenty of fun, Coping was easy because there was no time for worry, a new challenge every day. now the ageing process is harder on SCI's and after 35 years it's getting hard watching the hard fought for independence give way to scoliosis, shoulder and wrist injuries. I still have another expert to see on the 10th of July. I've cancelled 4 appointments so far but I'll get to the next one no matter what. Maybe he can glue and wire me back together for a few more years.WR

Comment

so far 17 doing ok or better
                  6 falling apart (because of SCI or life itself)
                  I haven't voted

so if my sums are correct 6 out of 23 is about one quarter??

so three quarters of voters doing OK but a quarter are not
                  that's a high percentage who are not coping

Comment

Whiterabbit11

it is depressing but honest (we may as well post honestly on the forums) as your accomplishments are as much as anyone could be expected to have done

Comment

I answered for my husband, the SCI person in our house. His views mirror those of whiterabbit.

It was difficult but a challenge at the beginning; the middle years he (and I) coped quite well but now that he's been in a chair for 25 years, he's feeling the effects of aging. He's not old (45) but I think the complications of so many years of SCI are catching up. Added to that, of course, is the worry of what will happen to him when I'm not physically able to care for him.

Comment

Hmm...

My coping skills generally don't have anything to do with my SCI. My daily struggles or stresses usually have to do w/ tough day at work (because of work, NOT because of SCI) and things like that. I think that me being injured as a child has a lot to do w/ my coping skills. I went to rehab for 6 weeks and came home, went back to school (second grade), and resumed my life. The rest was just a learning experience. When I learned how to drive I learned as SCI. When I started dating, I started as a SCI. When I went to college, I went as a SCI. So a lot of things everyone had to adjust to AFTER they became SCI's (dating again, going back to school, etc.) I never had to deal with. For that I am very grateful.

Comment

Working...
                        X