No announcement yet.

The anniversary of your accident...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starlight - That means you haven't moved over to the dark side.

Emi - Good analogy. Broken things should be fixed. Even cosmetic changes are important to some people. How important should our bodies and health and future be to us? Should be worth everything. I think it was John D. Rockefeller who got very wealthy founding Standard Oil. Near the end of his life he said he'd give up everything to get his health back. There's nothing as important.

Suzin - I was talking about the dread of knowing you'd spent half your life in a chair. I contrasted this emotion with that of Hockenberry who loves being in a chair. I think he probably looked forward to that milestone.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

Urgh... my half-life mark hasn't happened yet. 10 years was bad enough.

Jeff - "dark side"? What are you talking about???
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

The dark side

That's the state of mind where you see your injury as your friend. "Differently abled?" Yeah, I do things differently. But what about all the things I can no longer do? I think focussing only on those is equally a bad idea, but to gloss over the massive loss of SCI just isn't honest. I often hear, "I can do everything I used to do, only differently." Somehow I have a hard time believing that.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
        ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff:

That's the state of mind where you see your injury as your friend. "Differently abled?" Yeah, I do things differently. But what about all the things I can no longer do? I think focussing only on those is equally a bad idea, but to gloss over the massive loss of SCI just isn't honest. I often hear, "I can do everything I used to do, only differently." Somehow I have a hard time believing that.
          Maybe it depends on your level injury. You've seen me and know what my SCI level is. Yeah, I know there are probably some people with similar level SCI out there who might be heard saying, "I can do everything I used to do...", but that only makes me wonder what they used to do in the first place.

Speaking for myself tho, I don't think there isn't one area of my life that hasn't been severely compromised by SCI, and the idea that there might be anything to "celebrate" about the day just seems to me bizarre, to say the least.
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

I celebrate my anniversary every year with gusto...it´s Dec 25th after all! [img]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Christmas trees, lights, great food and holiday spirits...plus some spirits for myself if you know what I mean. Mr. Grinch on the tube. It all takes the edge of the SCI anniversary off. Of course, Mr. Murphy comes by yearly to remind me of his famous rule and how I managed to follow it so diligantly. But I boot him out into the cold every year. Funny though, he always manages to show up again the next year...uninvited of course...damn party crashers! ;
            "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Working...
            X