Hunger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunger?

Since my injury, I haven't felt hunger. I always assumed it was because the abdominal pain sensation makes me feel full, but I'm curious - do quads generally feel hunger, or would I not get hungry even if I had no gut pain?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Interesting question. I'm C5/6 complete and can feel hunger. Would be interesting to hear from others.

Comment

I remember Dr. Young commenting about this. I'm C7/8 and do get hungry but I also get full very quickly. After a couple of bites I no longer have an appetite. Vitamins like zinc and b12 are good at increasing appetite, they worked well for me for a while but don't anymore.

Comment

I suppose if I went without food for awhile I could feel hunger... but I rarely ever get to that point. I guess I don't burn off food that quickly.

PS. Alan I just tried sending you an e-mail at the address in your profile but it got returned...what gives?
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

I'm C5/6. I feel hunger. I didn't always though. I think it took a year or more after my injury before I could feel hunger.

Comment

Great Question!

I know you directed this to quads, nonetheless I completely forgot that this had happened to me within my first couple of months of being injured. I just wasn't hungry...I'm not sure if it was the depression, but hunger was completely nonexistent.

Comment

yumm i'm a c5/6 usually hungry [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Eat by the clock

I am avery incomplete para and have almost no hunger sensation so I eat by the clock. Like Seneca I am very thin but my walking burns a ton of calories because of how I walk. I took zinc which improved my sense of smell and helped my appetite for a short period of time. A nutritionist worked out that I need between 3500-4000 just to maintain at 100 lbs. Not feeling hunger makes it hard to do.
                Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Yeah, I get hunger pangs. (C-6 ASIA B) A friend of mine who's a C-4 does too. When I lived in Florida, he'd call me up to drive over to his house & bring some fast food if he wasn't expecting anyone home for a while. Ah, the carefree days of college in Florida...

I also hunger for love at times, but that's a different kind of hunger. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Rus

"...because you're not promised tomorrow" ~ Stuck Mojo

Comment

Hey Clipper...

When you are feeling hunger, lets go out for lunch!!!
                    I'm almost free....
                    1FineSpineRN

Comment

Yeah, I get hungry and love to eat!!!!!
                      Claire

Comment

Hunger

Actually, the main location of the sensation we call hunger is from your brain, not from your stomach. It is not from your stomach being empty, but from the blood sugar level dropping, as well as habit (have you ever noticed that you may not be hungry until you look at the clock and notice it is "time to eat"?). Depression can also suppress appitite in some, although it can increase it in others. Marinol is a drug that is sometimes used to stimulate appitite and hunger.

People with SCI above the mid-thoracic level often have significant decreases in their rate of stomach emptying. This can cause some to feel full with only a very small meal. It can cause problems with tube feedings accumulating in the stomach, and for some can cause problems with medication absorption as it takes so long for the medication to get to the small intestine (where more drugs are absorbed). Reglan is a medication that can sometimes help with this, but can also have significant side effects, so care should be used in prescribing it.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I'm c7 and feel hunger I get full pretty easily and after I eat my blood pressure always goes down and I'll be dizzy for the next couple hours, the longer I go without eating the worse it is, it's like my stomach shrinks very quickly or something. I really hate and dread having to eat alot of the time. I guess it keeps me from ever getting fat though.

Comment

I could give up eating now, and still wouldn't feel hungry. If my blood sugar drops enough, I'll feel weak and know I need to eat something, but I'd still be feeling full and have to force it. Before I got mangled, I loved to eat.

Tried marinol once, among other things, for that very reason (induce hunger.) No joy.

Send me e-mail at alan@min.net. No .spamaway.
                            Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

eclipsegt, that's what happens to me. I can eat one potato chip and 20 minutes later I'm restless, my heartrate increases, pulse decreases, my breathing becomes shallow and rapid and if I'm too active my vision will get blurry and my ears will ring. This lasts for about an hour. I hate having to go through that after every meal, it's a miserable feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X