How many use power chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many use power chairs?

I'm just curious how many people here use power chairs.
    And does anyone else feel more disabled when they are in a power chair? Thats how I feel.

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor
    I use a power chair all the time.
    0.00%
    I use a power chair to be independent when outside.
    66.67%
    I never use a power chair.
    0.00%
    I would like to use a power chair but don't because of expense.
    33.33%
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Originally posted by Emi:

And does anyone else feel more disabled when they are in a power chair? Thats how I feel.
    I used a powerchair when first injured because of other broken bones. I felt much less disabled as soon as I started using a manual chair. (which I always do, I'm a T4 in pretty good shape)
    "Oh yeah life goes on
    Long after the thrill of livin is gone"

John Cougar Mellencamp

Comment

Emi:

I can HONESTLY say that I feel a thousand percent LESS handicap on the electric w/c. I'm a low level quad who SHOULD be on a manual but, I LOVE getting out and on a manual thats VERY tuff. I use an electric all the time and, Im trying to get a handbike for work out but, the independence u get is well worth it IMO.
      I rent mine and the guy there is not only very handsome [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but also nice and helpfull, they just change mine about 1 year ago for a faster one and now i just speed on my own from where i live down to the beach which is 2.5 miles away, (i do this in 20 min.) If u have one, USE IT it without think of what it is, instead think of what it means: FREEDOM!!!!!!!
      go girl [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Me.
      Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

Comment

Love My Power Chair

My power chair an OmegaTrac has changed my life. It's made a mostly inaccessible world accessible to me again. I'm able to go hunting, fishing, off-roading, and climb curbs effortlessly. It's been wonderful to say the least. I've also been able to get a good job and be a better provider for my family. I drive my chair three miles to work regardless of the weather, in fact when we have a bad snow storm I'm able to get to work when my able bodied co-workers can't make it due to road conditions.

Comment

Bruce, that's one badass piece of machinery!

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

Comment

Emi...

I do feel more disabled when using the powerchair but hey it gets me around so thats what counts
            http://www.darkthrone.com/recruit.dt?uid=V23445R23400Y23415L23430T23490

Comment

Bruce,,,u've got the 'bigfoot' of power chairs. Do u have a link for that beast for further specs,,,,

Comment

It seem to me that a power chair has its inconvenience of being impossible to pull into the car. Am I right? I use a manual one and I'm still in rehab but I intend to buy an adapted car to be as independent as possible.
                I'm a T4 complete.
                Can any of you friends clarify my doubt?
                Tks

Comment

Emi

Emi

I use a power chair but I have for 29 years now so its not a huge issue. The big thing that drives me nuts is if it breaks down I'm stranded.

Comment

Fernando

Check this site: www.wheelchairvans.com
                    Vans + electric chairs= GOOD

Me.
                    Thoughts become things, choose the good ones!

Comment

It's An OmegaTrac

Mine is the only one I know of like this though. The company has work with me a lot to build it to just what I need. The electronics have been moved to behind the seat so I can go through up to a foot of water, it has a 6,000 pound winch, trailer hitch, heavy duty suspension, and all-terrain tires.
                      Teftec Mobility Website
                      My off-roading site

Originally posted by FREEJ:

Bruce,,,u've got the 'bigfoot' of power chairs. Do u have a link for that beast for further specs,,,,

Comment

EMI, I've used a power chair for 2 years now, since my accident. I had busted myself up pretty good so that was my only option at the time, I'm a T5-6 complete. I appreciate the freedom it has given me in the past couple of years but, I have to agree with you in that it does make me feel more disabled. I am working to being able to get into a manual chair as soon as I can. I think it will help me be healthier in that I will be able to ge more cardio exercise. Plus, I will be able to go with other people in their cars, right now I'm limited to a van with a lift or the very limited public transportation in town. I know that no matter what kind of chair I am in my vision of how disabled I am is a matter of how I look at myself. Something that is sometimes hard to remember. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Just hang in there and remember that your chair can imprison you or set you free, it's all in how you look at it. In fact I'm working on how to "dance" in my power chair. Wish me luck. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
                        This too shall pass...

Comment

I feel more disabled in a powerchair but I like the freedom it affords me. With my van I can go out by my self and not worry about needing someone to assist me in some situations. Some places are also too difficult to access with a manual chair when your alone.

Comment

PowerChair

Ive been in a power chair since 1976 I dont know what I could do without it. Sure I wish I could push a manual chair, I would also like to walk, but we use what we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Emi:

I'm just curious how many people here use power chairs.
                              I use a power chair 99 percent of the time. I feel like a disabled freak when using the chair, so I don't give it any thought and I avoid looking in mirrors.

When using my manual chair I feel more normal, and alive. I even enjoy looking at myself in the mirror.

QL

Comment

Working...
                              X