No announcement yet.

How many use power chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm a c6-7 quad. Injured in 1985, now 34.

I have a real hard time keeping up with my 4 year old. This summer I rigged up my Halls wheelchair to a 24v power scooter (power board)

the sucker does 12mph! lots of fun. it's good for about 4-5 miles & disconnects when we are done playing

working on incorporating something for other wheelchairs.

Comment

when i was first injured, two years ago, i was told i was too young to use a power chair. im a c6-7 and had some difficulties getting around, but figured in time id get stronger. i did, i get around good, depending where I go. i get a lotta pain in my neck. i have the emotion power assisited wheels, but havent used them very much. theyre way to heavy to take them off a manual chair everytime I go somewhere. the only exercise i really get is pushing my chair, so i figure as long as i can, ill use a manual, but sometimes I think a power chair would be nice too!

Even if your body cannot move, you can still think and meditate ~Dalai Lama~

Comment

This poll is yielding some very interesting results. While the sampling of the population is not scientific, it is suggesting that over 50% of our population use a power chair all or some of the time, want to but cannot due to expense. This is considerably more than I had expected. With nearly 400 people voting, I think that the numbers are getting more and more credible. Wise.

Comment

As I point out in my novel, we (the SCI community) are a cash cow needing many expensive items just to maintain a certain level of quality of life. An inexpensive cure here in the US will not be a reality any time soon. They will not make the same mistake they made with polio. Thank God for the progress they are making in China.

Yes, I'm using my 2nd electric chair. My first lasted me 25 years using duct tape and prayer.

Rusty
          www.rustyreeves.com

Comment

i never have always a rigid

Comment

I use mine all the time at home other wise I wouldn't be able to go outside. I live in the country & its all hills hear. I have a Ouicky S626 powerchair its a life saver. I can't take it any place with me. When I go places I use my manual chair. Thats the only exercise I get. Has anybody seen or have 1 of the power chairs with the tracks like a bulldozer uses or a 4 wheel drive chair? I wish I could get an all terraine chair but I dont think medicare or medicade will by me 1. It would shure help keep me from getting stuck on a hill from time to time. I have already fliped over backwards in this chair once. tried to make a new trail up 1 of the hills in me yard. Luckly me neibor was home & seen it happen he picked me up & got the chair up & put me back in it. I went back 2 me old trail. But I would feel much safer in an atv chair. By the way I'm a C6 C5 incomplete quad.

Comment

I can get one if I want but I think they are so big. I can't get it in my car.

Do anybody know a small nice one? My manuell chair is 36 cm inside and 56 cm wide with the wheels and I do not have place for a bigger one.

http://www.panthera.se

Happely I live in the middel of Oslo and it is mostly flat from my house and down to the main streets
                TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

manual "V" electric

I'am 7 years post, waited 5 1/2 years before I got a scooter. Best thing I have done post injury. I walk very slow with cane, but now I get out there shop, go on field trips with my nine year old. In general have become more involved in the community.

J Clark
                  J Clark

Comment

I use a Storm TDX5 for just about all of my mobility. I have a TiLite TRA for when I go out with my friends and we need to get me in a car. Now that I am moving to the city I will probably use the manual a little more often becuase I will not have to travel as far.

:-)
                    Jenn

"Be ashamed to die until you have done something small for humanity." Horace Mann
                    "Be ashamed to die until you have done something small for humanity." Horace Mann

Comment

I recentely bought a Pride Hurricane PMV.(outdoor scooter). I wheel my rigid and handcycle everywhere, but my shoulders are taking a beating. It doesn't help that I've dislocated both shoulders years ago working construction. The scooter is there for the days I'm hurting. It does 8 mph which isn't to bad either.

Comment

I've never used a power chair.

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash
                        Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

mrbreeze: I live on 100acs and use a 4x4..they are fantastic..if you want to use it inside they have a small wheel that is placed in a hole between the front wheels..the wheels are held an inch or so off the ground..then you have same turning circle as any other electric chair..

Comment

Hi,,,, at the end of april '04, i finally received my TDX5 powerchair. It is my first powchr after 22 years of quadhood. The addition has been great; having a powchr has changed my life in all positive ways.

Hi Jen,,, Re; ''We corresponded awhile ago about the ''xterra'', you told me of your experience/situation. Well,,,, I see you got a TDX5, as I did. Isn't it a pretty good chair,,,,

Peace,,,,Freej

Comment

I have never tried but I ordered one today, because the manuell is so difficult in the snow and on the ice.

So people told me the Permobil Trax Servo was the best one, nobody answered me here [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img] so I hope I have made a good choise. It is very big so I do not know how I am going to feel.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.
                              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Yep, think people can feel more like a cripple in a power chair (and look more like one too), not utilizing much of your body/arms and being overwhelmed in a physically larger contraption. Then again, it can be much more liberating in other ways for a quad, who can be much more independent - from mobility, access, travel, to saving time, though it can also limit the aforementioned things due to size, weight, portability and non disassembly.

One thing about the poll choices-
                                it doesn't differentiate between persons' level of function, which can help in understanding the responses better.

Comment

Working...
                                X