How many use power chairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I answered for my husband

He refuses to use a power chair because he thinks it would make him look more disabled. I wish he'd change his mind, though (not much chance of that) because I've been the official family pusher for 25 years now and I'm getting worn out.

Comment

Bumping up for more votes

There should be more people who can vote in this poll. We have nearly 1800 registered members and close to 70% of the members have spinal cord injury. This poll is very interesting... because it suggests that a large majority of the community use power wheelchairs. Is this because most of the people who vote in this poll have cervical spinal cord injury and the people with thoracic spinal cord injury are not voting?

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Is this because most of the people who vote in this poll have cervical spinal cord injury and the people with thoracic spinal cord injury are not voting?

Wise.
        I believe so. The title of this thread implies that the subject is for powerchair users. The title should read -

"Poll - Do you use a manual or powerchair?"

And then of course add "I use a manual chair" option to the poll.

Noel

Comment

I think that Emi may have intended this poll to find out how many people in this community use power chairs. About 50% of the members of this community indicate that they have cervical spinal cord injury (this is just a sample, however, of those members who have indicated that they do or do not have spinal cord injury). I think it is interesting to know how many people who have spinal cord injury use power chairs at least part time, regardless of the level of their injury.

Wise.

Comment

i have a power chair; it sts in the garage and acts as a shelf. i like the indoor manouverability the manual gives. and yes, i do feel like more of a gimp (oops, can i be pollitically incorrect for a minute) when i'm in it.

Comment

Emi, I placed a 48x48 avatar of the picture that you posted earlier so that it would show. If you want, you can insert that into your profile so that the avatar shows (the site needs jpg or gif files for avatars). By the way, it is a very nice picture The URL for the avatar is http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...ures/emi--.jpg

I continue to be surprised by the large proportion of people who use powerchairs, even part-time. I realize that the poll may be discouraging people who use manual wheelchairs exclusively to vote but there is a choice of "I never use a power chair" that should be appropriate. If true, this suggests that a majority of our community use a power chair at least part time.

Wise.

Comment

Power!

i feel more enabled by my power chair, not more disabled. i can do all kinds of things in it that i never could have imagined doing in my manual. of course at this point my ms has progressed to the point where i really don't have a choice. but i'm tellin' ya, they really changed my life for the better!

Comment

I also use a powerchair full time. I have a manual for emergency backup but have only had to use it once for 3 days when my power chair was in for adjustments. Like Bruce Stone, I drive an OmegaTrac, but mine is completely "stock" except for the addition of knobby tires. My wife and I are out in the woods and parks with our two dogs every day we can. I can go on logging roads, 4-wheeler trails, and through places where there are no trails at all. Being front wheel drive, my chair can climb over obstacles like tree roots, curbs, and stones with ease. Most power chair have rear or mid wheel drive, which is better indoors and on busy sidewalks because they are smaller and more manuverable. I wouldn't recommend my chair if this is all you need one for. I drive mine indoors, but it is big and I have learned to manuver carefully. OmegaTracs are also quite expensive and possibly out of reach of most people. I was very lucky that my insurance paid for mine. I lived a very outdoor-oriented lifestlye before my injury, and this wheelchair has allowed me to continue much of it By the way, I'm a C5 SCI with fairly good use of my arms and hands. Sorry to ramble on so much, but I'm enthusiastic about my chair and life in general.
                  "Some complain that there are thorns among the roses, but I am delighted to find an occasional rose among the thorns."

Comment

In order to get places in a "timely" fashion, Its been nessesary my life includes a power chair. Im always fashionably late as it is haha! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I cannot remember if I've replied prevbiously, sowwry [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

power or manual

As a C-7 I've used a manual since '67 except for about one week after having rotator cuff surgery. I couldn't miss any more work after 2 weeks in the hospital so my doctor made me rent one.It was the most uncomfortable thing I ever sat in. After a week, I couldn't take it. I promised my Dr. I'd only do tiny little pushes. With the electric I had to ride the senior citizen's bus to work because even if it would have fit in my car's back seat, you'd need a crane to pick it up. I can barely afford my 3 year old Monte Carlo, much less a good van. I know that if my injury were an inch or 2 higher, I'd have no choice so I don't knock those who need to or even want to use them. They're just not for me.WR

Comment

Nearly 60% of the people who voted either use or want to power chairs. This is very interesting and eye-opening. Wise.

Comment

You might have asked, who has the option of choosing power vs. manual.
                          If I didn't use a power chair, I'd never go anywhere.
                          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

Comment

Power

I'm a twenty year old C2/C3 quad. I've been using a powerchair ever since my accident in '85. I feel more independent in my chair than having to be pushed around all the time. I've also learned over the years how to make it do what I want, climb curbs, hills, operate on rough terrain and dance. The times I've had to use a push is when I feel disabled.
                            C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Comment

Im a C-5/6.. 3 yrs. post as of 2 weeks ago. I used a powerchair in the hosp. when i 1st got hurt. The head P.T. told me get the powerchair, you cant push a manual and plus its covered. I got home just as my new powerchair had arrived. Guess how much use i got outta it.. 0% Hell everyone of my friends used it and loved it. LOL Not to mention all my motocross friends jumpin the thing. Have you ever seen a powerchair jump 3 feet in the air or grind curbs? NO? Well i have!! LOL

Yes Even thinking of a powerchair made me feel even more screwed or "more disabled." (Acted like a retard, sorry.. mentally/physically challenged in one throughout my stay in the hosp but thats another story.) LOL

Im sorry if i upset anyone by my post but thats how i feel. As a result from thinking like that it made me work and now 3 yrs later I can push a manual chair as far as my lungs will let me. Im fully independent and its because of that line of thinking (and doctors/negative people) that got me to where i am today.

Ya a powerchair is a load off the body. But!! Say if my injury was any higher and i had no option but to use a powerchair... If i saw anyone being lazy and using a powerchair you'd bet your a$$ id charge them and run 'em the hell over. LOL

"A man may fall many times in his life.
                              But he is not a failure until he refuses to get back up."

Comment

JumpinJ

You sound like my husband. He is a C5, 3 years post. He refused to get a power chair in the beginning. He wanted to be independent and not feel so disabled by using a power chair. He is totally independent in his manual chair. It took work but he eventually figured it out. Eventually our case manager from our insurance co convinced us to at least get one for when we spend a lot of time outdoors. Well, my husband has only used it a few times. Mainly at my parents 120 acre girl scout camp where he can't get around by himself in his manual because of the large hills. Other than that, his friends do have lots of fun with it. It has about 3 inches of dust on it in our garage. It hasn't been used for over a year now. We are very grateful that he does not NEED to use a powerchair. We are very lucky to have the option.

Comment

Working...
                                X