Supervan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supervan

Lizbv just posted pictures of her new supervan on http://newmobility.com/ubbcgi/ultima...c&f=1&t=004812

It really looks like the cockpit of a jet fighter.

Wise.

that is really cool. I am getting closer and closer to being ready to drive. I am trying to learn as much as possible so I don't screw up and get the wrong vehicle.

I still have a few questions though. Can anyone else realistically drive the vehicle after I have it modified for my use? I have seen the role in seats, but can somebody else use the controls? Also, is there anyone here who drives a minivan from a power chair? I have looked at several and it always seems like such a tight squeeze to get the power chair in a minivan. I have a full-size Ford van at present with the lower floor and raised roof, but it is so big that I wonder if I will have a hard time driving it. Plus I don't think I would ever be able to find a parking place and I would like to have something that would fit in a garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl R:

I still have a few questions though. Can anyone else realistically drive the vehicle after I have it modified for my use? I have seen the role in seats, but can somebody else use the controls?
      It depends on brand of control system you get. When I upgrade I am buying EMC. Their Digi system can be switched off and moved aside for an AB driver. The system can also be unbolted and installed on your next vehicle.

http://www.emc-digi.com/explore.htm

My current vehicle, `88 Ford c5-6 quad van, is set up with zero-effort steering and brakes. A drivers seat is locked in for AB drivers to use, but it takes them time to learn how to safely use the sensitive controls.

Also, is there anyone here who drives a minivan from a power chair? I have looked at several and it always seems like such a tight squeeze to get the power chair in a minivan.
      I haven't driven a mini-van yet but I have checked out my friends, and given many new ones a roll through. Fit depends on your powerchair. I can do 360s inside with my Permobil Chairman, and easily fit behind the wheel. However, the Permobil is a little smaller and much more maneuverable than the average chair.

I have a full-size Ford van at present with the lower floor and raised roof, but it is so big that I wonder if I will have a hard time driving it. Plus I don't think I would ever be able to find a parking place and I would like to have something that would fit in a garage.
      The turning radias on Ford Vans and trucks sucks big time. You need lots of room when parking and forget about doing a U-turn. This is the one thing I hate about Fords.

Good luck.

Noel

Comment

van

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl R:
        \

. Can anyone else realistically drive the vehicle after I have it modified for my use?
        Hi Carl. My gas/brake will switch to regular foot pedals with the turn of key mechanism in the dash. However the steering is permenant. There is a driver seat that can be put in a;lso. If I need help I can use ambulette service, get in a car, or call 911 if emergency arises. Currently I still hav a full size in which I do not drive, but has a lift. I'm just waiting for the cold to break, to sell it.

Also, is there anyone here who drives a minivan from a power chair? I have looked at several and it always seems like such a tight squeeze to get the power chair in a minivan.
        I have found that I need to put my service dog in first, then back in the ramp, turn towards the controls and lock down. I don't see anything thats too bad about a fullsize van other than driving in the wind and not getting the 18/25mpg that the caravan gets. I trained for a week in a fullsize at Ohio State University with a man named Dan Cox. It was a raised roof/lowered floor able to train various needs. I think you should look at wat type of chair u have also, when considering minivan.

. I have a full-size Ford van at present with the lower floor and raised roof, but it is so big that I wonder if I will have a hard time driving it. Plus I don't think I would ever be able to find a parking place and I would like to have something that would fit in a garage
        Yes, I hear you. The raised roof is really not nessesary unless you are extremely tall. I think full sized floors can be lowered from 6 to 10 inch, so that could be a consideration. ford minivans [ricon conversion] have 11 or 12 inch drop, but they aren't as wide body as a dodge. If the wind is blowing w raised roof, i think it would be harder, but im sure u'd get used to it.
        its quite a descion to make- good luck. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Dr Young. We can switch the steering back at the sci cure festival someday. I'd like you to officially christen it! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Carl, most vehicles are set up so that an A/B can drive it. It just depends on the equipment.

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

Comment

Andrea does (AndreaLea).

A good conversion company can fit the van to your needs and abilities.

You'll love the freedom you get.

~Rus

Comment

Liz,do you use a power chair? I think part of the problem is my chair (action storm). It is only 3 years old, but the new ones seem much smaller and have better turning radius. What was the final price tag for the van and all conversions (if that's being too nosey, I understand or you can e-mail me)? Thanks for the help.

Rus, I thought Andrea used a manual chair (picture in her profile). But now I remember, she just got a new van too, right?

Comment

Rus, I thought Andrea used a manual chair (picture in her profile). But now I remember, she just got a new van too, right?
                She does, but uses the power chair for her van. And her van is new too. She might have some tips for ya.

~Rus

Comment

Your van

looks really great!! Something mentioned in your post has me concerned, though. You said you had the steering wheel removed so it wouldn't deploy and shatter your neck...yikes...that's what I'm now concerned w/since I use the regular factory steering w/airbag and everything. I also worry about lack of support behind my head. Even a mild fender-bender could mean disaster in terms of whiplash, or god forbid, more broken vertebrae.

Is there any evidence that it will shatter your neck? I was thinking if I got hit from behind, then my face would smash into the steering device and I guess airbags deploy only in head-on collisions?

Do you know of anything (besides always being securly locked in and wearing my seatbelts, of course,) that can prevent this?

Comment

Holy shit girl! Do oxygen masks fall out of the roof at higher altitudes.Very cool,congrats to ya.

~Shaun~

Comment

chair

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl

Liz,do you use a power chair? I think part of the problem is my chair (action storm). It is only 3 years old, but the new ones seem much smaller and have better turning radius.
                      Yes I do. I have a ranger x. I'm in the process of changing over to an arrow. (i know, crazy). so, i have to get new e z lock bracket, etc. my ranger x i bought in 97.

Comment

i got part way done w message to andrea and it got lost. ooooooo i hate that. more tmmrw [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Liz,.... What was the final price tag for the van and all conversions (if that's being too nosey, I understand or you can e-mail me)? Thanks for the help.
                          I am also curious to know what people are paying across the nation. In the Seattle and Portland area, I was quoted $100,000.00 for a Ford fullsize with EMC Digi joystick control, dropped floor, topper, and the rest of the standards. For a used mini-van $59,000.00. tHIS was 9 months ago.

At this point I have decided to make do with my old van. I can not see sinking a fortune into a vehicle I don't even like to look at. My plan is to build a full custom dream machine. For $60-100k, I should be able to build a show quality ride that runs the quarter in the high 12s.

Noel

[This message was edited by Noel on Feb 19, 2002 at 02:07 AM.]

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun:

Holy shit girl! Do oxygen masks fall out of the roof at higher altitudes.Very cool,congrats to ya.
                            ~Shaun~
                            That is cute. Not yet, but I'll let ya know if it happens. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Liz or Andrea, or anyone else

I did the first part of my driver evaluation today. From the looks of the equipment that I used, the set up will look like the one that Liz has in her minivan. I only drove around the parking lot, because we had only a little time left in the day after getting the equipment set up. Anyway, I am curious how long it took for you to get use to the equipment? Hours, days, weeks? And secondly, did you have any problems with endurance?

Comment

Working...
                              X