No announcement yet.

Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting ready to buy an '03 Toyota Tundra but I'm having some trouble with seat height issues and was wondering if any of you, who own a modified truck (a Tundra would be ideal) with a Bruno TAS system have had visibility issues due to the bruno seat vs. the oem seat?

Toyota is telling my adaptive auto guys that unless the driver is 5'8" or less then there may be a problem with visibility / headroom clearance. The bruno TAS system adds 2" to the seat height and therefore may knock me out (I'm 5'11") of this whole project.

Any experience or advice on this?

Thanks.

Onward and Upward!

Comment

i posted this before...

check these guys: accessunlimited.com, specifically: www.accessunlimited.com/easy-reach/easy-reach_truck.html
      easy-reach for trucks: uses OEM seat, seems much less complicated than bruno's system.

might not hurt to give them a call & see what the height difference is.

~scott

Comment

Loaded Ford F-150

I have a 2000 F-150 4X4 Sport package. It has an extra 4" lift. It has the TAS seat from Bruno as well as the Out Rider chair lift and the Topper. It all works great and I dont have the added stress on my shoulders getting in and out.I cant say enough about it. I thought I was condemed to a van. I am too tall for a car. My legs get in the way of everthing. My truck is the family mobile. My two boys 7&9 have alot of growing room in the back seat. Drop me a line and I'll send you some pics. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

...act like a survivor not a victim.
        T-10 complete
        10/08/01
        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Wheelinarcher, If you don't mind, how tall are you? I was told that the TAS system, again because of seat height, would also be a problem in Fords and Chevys as far as headroom. It doesn't sound like you have any problems?

Thanks.

Onward and Upward!

Comment

10 feet tall and bullet proof !!!!!!!

sorry, I couldnt resist. I am, err was, 6'0. I have tons of room. I'll send you some pics. What I like most about mine is how heavy duty everything seems.I'm no lard butt, but when your throwing 210lbs from chair to seat its gotta be able to take it. I dont abuse it but I do use it. I was told that GMC has the most room from "a" pillar to "c" pillar and floor to ceiling,BUT I was told they could NOT do a truck with intergrated seatbelts because the mounting point MUST be factory for structural reasons.From the time GM started producing the fourth door and then started the seat belt thing was about nine months, so I had a nine month production window to find a truck I liked.This ruled out Chevy and GMC. Rear leg room ruled out the Dodges. Ford is about 3" smaller on opening only between pillars. We had the Tundra, F-150, GMC ?, all club cabs. the toy was the sales rep mod. We measured every way possible. Height was never an issue, it was always width.

T-10 complete
            10/08/01
            "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Hi. I have a 02 Tundra access cab w/the bruno shell and lift. It is working great so far. I was told the same info about the bruno tas system. 5'8" or less or you will have headroom issues in the toyota. I am 6'2" so have headroom issues in most vehicles. The toyota gives me enough head room and leg room (but none to spare) with the stock seats. I have a glide and go lift on order, right now I am just hauling myself up into the truck. It works, but might get messy when winter hits, and I would like to be lazy sometimes and save wear on the shoulders.

JP

Comment

Get anything yet?

Give us an update Chris.

T-10 complete
                10/08/01

Comment

F-250

Thought I would mention that our daily driver is a 3/4 ton Ford F250 extended cab. Automatic/Loaded. Although my spouce can drive it with handcontrols, I usually pick her up and set her in it, then throw the chair in the back. This system works great for us.

Comment

Update,

Shopping for the truck currently and trying to find a buyer for my van.

I think I've worked out the details concerning the TAS system but not quite 100%.

I'll post more as new info comes together.

Btw, have any of you ever heard of, I think its pronounced, "Tummican lift"? It's like one of those elevator lifts on a freight truck?

Onward and Upward!

Comment

Sounds like are vehicles are limited to Toyota.

I just bought a Toyota Tacoma Outrider the day before yesterday and am having a Bruno lift put in. As for getting in I have good upper body strength and am having a strap hang from where the handles are installed by the factory on the passengers seat, wonder why they don't put it on the drivers as well? In anycase, I will be climbing into it tomorrow....WISH ME LUCK!!
                      It has been since my injury since I have drivin, Nov 17th 2001... LOOK OUT:-)!!

Comment

Bought the truck today! Toyota Tundra V8 '03, loaded, Salsa Red, Off-Road etc. Went to www.toyota.com designed my own (options) etc. then had my dealer / friend find it. Just went for a drive an hour ago. Sweet truck.

Taking it in for the TAS (all measurements fit) and Outrider system hopefully next week for the mods and hand controls. www.bruno.com Didn't get the topper system yet. Still thinking about it.

Should be 10 days to two weeks before I can bring it home.

Psyched. Bye bye minivan. Now for sale.

Thanks for all the advice and help - especially wheelinarcher (awesome photos, extremely helpful).

And, btw, jmublue, I checked and called the referral you suggested for the Glide-n-go system but they needed at least 12 weeks to fabricate the system. 12 weeks?, way too long. Decided to go Bruno.

I'll post a photo when complete.

Peace.

Onward and Upward!

Comment

Hey Chris I want to go for a ride! Lets go and get it
                          in some mud! Since you got the off road pack. Go luck
                          Billy [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Good Move Chris

I have been thinking about getting a Tundra lately. The 2003 Tundra Stepside is real cool looking. My only problem with the vehicle is that even in a 2wd it is still about 5 inches too high for me transfering in, although the access cab rear door would work fine for loading and unloading my folding chair. I have been talking to modification people lately about putting a lowering kit on the vehicle and lowering it along with low profile wider tires and nice chrome plated wheels. I am thinking about trading in my GMC truck, I love the truck, but it is nothing but trouble, lots of mechanical problems. The Toyotas are super reliable, I just talked to guy yesterday who has 280,000 miles on a T-100 which is esentially the same truck as the Tundra.

The other problem is Price, the limited Stepside bed model which I want has a list of $34,000.00 plus I was thinking about putting a Supercharger on it which would be like $6500.00 installed, I would be over $40,000.00 by the time I was through. Maybe I'll wait to do this till I hit the lottery, lol

"Life is about how you
                            respond to not only the
                            challenges you're dealt but
                            the challenges you seek...If
                            you have no goals, no
                            mountains to climb, your
                            soul dies".~Liz Fordred
                            "Life is about how you
                            respond to not only the
                            challenges you're dealt but
                            the challenges you seek...If
                            you have no goals, no