Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you would freeze yourselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you would freeze yourselves?

If we had mature, inexpensive cryotechnology that could put you in a deep freeze until the cure, how many of you would do it?

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~
    Not me, I'm having too much fun the way I am
    0%
    Not me, I don't want to come back and have everyone be old and the world gone to hell
    0%
    Yes, but just for five years
    0%
    Yes, but only ten years or until a definite cure is available
    0%
    Yes, freeze me for as long as it takes!
    0%
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Forty-seven views ...

but only six votes. I wonder why people take the time to read a poll but don't vote. No wonder we're still in these chairs!!!

Comment

You're choices didn't include mine: If we had the technology to freeze someone and revive them later, we'd have a cure for SCI. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo

Comment

I don't think cryotechnology is as sophisticated as the SCI cure

They've successfully revived a dog after seventy-two hours in the deep freeze. The show I watched said the dog appeared normal but because it doesn't speak they couldn't know for sure. Plus, it's a purely hypothetical poll designed to gauge our interest in a cure vs. continuing our current lives the way they are. Takes a little imagination, I guess.

Comment

It would piss me off if I was frozen for 5-10 years and then get thawed and still nothing's changed regarding the "cure." I would rather be awake, looking toward the future.

Comment

70 % water

Greetings

I haven't seen the article about the dog, but I was led to believe this is impossible because our body (including our cells) is mostly water and freezing expands the cells, rupturing the membrane, thus destroying/killing all cells. I could be wrong.
            Dr. Young will most likely know the correct answer.

Thanks, Paul

Comment

Paulsaks, cryotechnology has overcome some of the problems that you mention. You have to put in a form of anti-freeze to keep down ice crystal formation. The main problems are still:

1. they still have not been able to completely eliminate all forms of damage, particularly to the brain.

2. freeze storage of tissues does not eliminate all possibility of damage to the DNA. This is one of the reasons why even frozen cells or embryos do not really last much longer than a few years without damage.

3. the thawing procedure is quite complicated.

Wise.

Comment