No announcement yet.

When were you injured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was injuried after a bout with spinal meningitis when I was 17 at my c2-c3 level in '97.

Comment

Hit by a drunk driver at age 8, July 1978. C7 (maybe C8), possiby sensory incomplete.

Comment

Injured November 25th,1998. 30 years old when injured from a 30 ft. fall. C5. my little girl was born two days before my injury and is what keeps me looking forward to every day.

Comment

2nd Feb, 2001 (7 months post)- 29 y/o, T 3-4 complete para in a car accident first vacation day going to Salvador - Bahia when a huge dead animal - it was still dark - was on the road. Car hit animal and overturned many times. No time to brake, or anything.
          [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

1991 (I was 28y old)
            hockey accident
            c4 complete
            no movement shoulders to toes

Comment

I am a t-4 complete

And I was Injured on May 9th of 1981. I was injured riding my beloved Honda CBX inline 6 cylinder motorcycle. I had drank about 4 beers and was all depressed as my Uncle had died at only 48 years old that Mourning. I was very close to him. So I stopped at a friends house where I stored my Motorcycle (driving my beefed up chevy monza, remember those cars anyone? a fastback with the eight cylinder motor) and he really could not talk to me about how upset I was as he was preparing his Motorcycle for a race the next day.

Anyhow, I played frisbee in the yard with his brother for a while (and thats the last time I remember running and jumping) and then rolled my Honda out of his garage and fired my baby up to hear that sweet gurrgle of the inline six motor with the six to one kerker headers. I let her warm up for awhile and then rode the bike to the intersection. I will never forget that intersection as I should have taken a left at that intersection to go to the gas station as my fuel petcock was switched on reserve at the time and I needed gas.

Instead I took a right as I wanted to go around the hair pin corners and really lean my baby down and hear that motor rev as I felt that would sooth me in the emotional state that I was in. I hit full throttle coming out of the intersection and the front end lifted a little just as I hit second gear and 60 mph. I almost instantly accelerated up to 80 mph in second and started entering the first real tight hairpin corner and was a leaning, at this point another car was coming heading the other way ( and he was going way too fast also) and was veering into my lane. I had a big problem on my hands.

I backed off the throttle and instinctivly went for both the front and rear brakes at full force. I skidded alongside the road for about one hundred yards and got the bike way slowed down, at that point going only about 5 mph, I hit a rock wall off the side of the road (about 8 feet to the right) and hit it with my front wheel and was catapulted over the handlebars and did a slow backflip over and on to the top of the stones with my back and heard a loud crack when I hit. Ever since then, Have not been able to feel or move below my upper chest.

The Driver of the other car yelled to me from the side of the road "are you alright" and I told him "I think I am Paralyzed" he jumped back in his car and took off and I believe he was the one who called the ambulance and I never heard from him again. I think he was afraid of getting involved as it was partly his fault, of course i should not have been going over 80mph in a 25 mph zone. When I was in the hospital a couple weeks later, I got a speeding ticket in the mail (as if being Paralyzed was not bad enough) anyhow, thats my story.

[This message was edited by Curtis on September 09, 2001 at 11:26 PM.]
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

9/10/00 one year to the day, diving, 43yr. C/6-7 incomplete.

Comment

March 11, 2000. At age 31, t-12 Off-road motorcycle accident.

Comment

My injury was the result of an auto accident on June, 21, 1992. I was 22 years old, and my level is c2c3.

Comment

C6/7 AUTO ACCIDENT MARCH 9, 2000 11:30PM. TRYING TO PROVE THE RELATIVE THEORY ONE CAN NOT SLEEP AND DRIVE A CAR SIMULTANEOUSLY. TEST SUCCESSFUL [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!
                      LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!http://spamhate.com/beerchug.gifhttp://spamhate.com/affection.gifhttp://spamhate.com/bondage.sml.gifhttp://spamhate.com/sperm.sml.gifhttp://www.spamhate.com/wav.gifhttp://spamhate.com/banghead.gif

Comment

Rustyjames

Happy anniversary, bro. Happy cuz you're still here, not cuz you cracked your spine. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo

Comment

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
                          If you want to write to a person like you, don t hesitate.
                          I m completly paralysed shoulders to toes (sports accident)
                          I had my injury in 1991
                          ouietnon@hotmail.com

Comment

Scorpion,

Thanks for the anniversary salutation bro, for some reason, I don't think I'm going to be celebrating. It's a day that you don't want to remember, but it's one you'll never forget.

Wheel like the wind

Comment

Aug 12/1990, 23yrs old, rolled my 4x4. I was coming home from a wedding reception and I was loaded. It was all my fault so I can't bitch! [img]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Rustyjames

I hear ya. Don't celebrate the accident, celebrate another year living when you coulda been. Not easy, especially on #1, but it gets easier each year.

~Rus

"Because you're not promised tomorrow." ~ Stuck Mojo

Comment

Working...
                                X