dogs puppy quads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dogs puppy quads

who all here is a quad c6c7 or close have a puppy how did you get a harness on it any ideas and and walking it with a ma
    nual chair

Have you applied to a local assistance dog program for a dog? Training a dog by yourself is possible, but with a puppy it would be especially difficult. (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

.I use a Julius K9 harness, which requires only one clip. I use a treat to get him to jump into my lap and put it over his head, then when he sits in front, I bend forward and I’m able to attach the clip around his chest. there are a bunch of pictures of him on his Instagram @meatballmtl

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Have you applied to a local assistance dog program for a dog? Training a dog by yourself is possible, but with a puppy it would be especially difficult. (KLD)
        no did not know about it i refuse to have any dog but a skipperkee. he is here 8 weeks sort of potty trained this gonna be fun not... thank god for tile floors
        he does use pads . we got the deck fenced buthe can go in the screen room but not on deck unless i am with him hawks owls eagles we got them. he has learned i have wheels so far not run over him Click image for larger version  Name:	20220812_154329.jpg Views:	0 Size:	354.2 KB ID:	2921668

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Some local organizations that train service dogs will do so for you with a dog of the breed you select. A friend of mine did this with a series of pugs that he dearly loved for years and years. (KLD)

G'aaaaaaaah I LOVE puppies - SO excited for you. Yes tiled floors are definitely helpful but you'll learn quickly not to be phased by it regardless... just part of the process.

I'm c5... incomplete.

I've trained 2 puppies and have fostered dozens in my adult life. The first was mostly trained pre-sci, but it is absolutely a lifelong journey. She was my best friend for 14 years and it kills me to be without her, still 9 years and another dog later. They definitely do not live long enough in proportion to the part they play in our lives. Anyway...

I got my 2nd pup about 2 years after my first passed (12 years post sci). I learned some lessons the 1st time around and obviously had to make some adaptations for SCI. I know your question is about harness and walking with the chair so I won't digress too much, but before i get to that, here are a few things I HIGHLY recommend:
        Regarding the harness and chair, I just use a standard strap harness that clips on either side of her chest (kind of around the sides, actually). She associates wearing it with going out and about, so there's no problem getting her to suit up. Admittedly, with my quad hands, the clips can be quite the headache from time to time but not much worse than just about everything else that quad hands make difficult. Maybe someone else knows of something better that doesn't require negotiating those *@$#$ clips???

As far as the chair is concerned, he will learn to get out of its way - that's almost automatic. There may be a few yelps in the process but it's mostly harmless. From relentless repetition, by default, my girl walks at my left side with slack in the leash. On command, she will walk in front, switch sides and will even pull ("Rabbits, rabbits rabbits!!" is a fun command). With a clicker in hand, a pocket full of treats and A LOT of patience, you can get him to just about anything.

He looks like a lover - best of luck to you both. Feel free to get in touch if you are running into problems or just have any questions that someone who has been through it might be able to answer.
        Last edited by daveh0; 6 Sep 2022, 7:53 AM.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

absolutely he s doin great with potty training almost 100% we workin on sit stay he doin well ith that he is nippy we are workin on that as he is a pryanna. hi sister is tooo. i really will not be taking him out by myself. we live rural a lot of weekender have homes here and they bring their dogs and take them out to to business and let them loose./ tere is a black shephard here that will attack. not huans dogs. so scamp will not be out on a leash withj out someone ablebodied. buut he is a skipperkee lol he nuts throughly enjoying him. yep i have got hi a few times with chair

Comment

• daveh0
            daveh0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds great - have a blast! Couldn't be more psyched for you all!!

Originally posted by christopher View Post
          .I use a Julius K9 harness, which requires only one clip. I use a treat to get him to jump into my lap and put it over his head, then when he sits in front, I bend forward and I’m able to attach the clip around his chest. there are a bunch of pictures of him on his Instagram @meatballmtl
          i don.t know how to use instgram could i see a picture p[lease

we now play fetch he bring it right back now this nippy is gettin better but boy he knows when he is in something he should not be

Comment

Working...
          X