question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question

i heard this person talk about people with disabilities like us have kids taken away ,force sterilitzation , maybe years years ago but now? i am thinking someone is nuts. it was a disability forum celebrating ada anniversary
    Last edited by vjls; 31 Jul 2022, 8:25 PM.

You might be interested in a book I just finished, "A Celebration of Family.....Stories of Parents with Disabilities", published 2021. (187 Pages).
    Thirty parents, with various disabilities were interviewed, or wrote their experiences themselves. There were some stories in which a parent lost their child for a period of time due to nasty divorce; one or two stories of nurses in delivery room reporting to authorities 'the mother is blind...she can't take care of baby'/'the mother is deaf and can't take care of a baby'.
    Hopefully, this can't still be happening, but negative comments/reactions apparently still happen when a mom with a disability is out in the community with her babe.
    Some of the wheelchair-using parents of toddlers reported negative stares or comments because of the use of a tether on the child when outdoors and shopping. One parent reported that the child's pre-school used tethers when the kids went for a walk, so that child was already trained in its use.

As far as forced sterilization is concerned, I believe the ADA would protect against that.

Comment

shoot i see able bodied parent use tethers there are people out there that bitch at anything no matter who. i was 50 when hurt personally i take my hat off to anyone that would have a baby now. i was just super surprised to see those comments

Comment

I still see people with disabilities having a hard time getting even partial custody of their children in a divorce. The rest of that is probably pre-ADA, but there are still a lot of ableist bigots out there in the community.

I figure eventually karma will catch up with them and they or a close family member will have a serious disability and think back on how mean and cruel they were.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X