Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

awesome concert, lovely night... ruined - new AD trigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome concert, lovely night... ruined - new AD trigger?

Well new for me.... In 18+ years of living the Gimp-life, i've had 2 serious bouts of AD, both after sex. By "serious" I mean a headache that made me feel like my head was going to explode. both times, I was with a nurse, who put me in an ideal position to bring my BP down and talked me through it. Each only lasted a few minutes. I followed up with doc afterwords, who said all was good - keep an eye on it.

Fast forward 15 years or so...

Last night I was at a concert - loud, heavy bass, lots of flashing lights (probably compounded by the fact that I was right near the front). Everything was fine for the opening act, but within the 1st 10 minutes of the main show, when they let the sound system loose, I developed a slight headache almost right away. It wasn't anything too bad, but it started getting exponentially worse with each song. I thought maybe it was a bowel/bladder thing, so I went to to restroom - all good there, but by the time I came out, the headache was at the head-exploding-level.

The medical tent was right there, so I went in and explained what was happening (rather my gf did - I couldn't put together more than a couple words at best). None of the paramedics had even heard of it. As they were realizing my bp was sky high and Googling AD, i asked if they had any nitro paste. They called a doc and got permission to give me a dose sublingually. That brought my BP down and my hear rate up in about 5 minutes or so. They had me stay there until my BP was down around 150/ninety-something.

We got in the car to drive home and I knew instantly that we needed to set course for the ER. By the time we reached the 1st ER, my head was back to near explosion state. Yadda, yadda yadda... the headache lasted through 3 ERs who all triaged me with BPs in the area of 160/100. Thanks to our friend COVID (and a bad car accident), they had nowhere to put me but the waiting room and besides the intake nurse, who was doubling as the security desk person at one of them, there was not a free medical professional to be found.

My guess was that they were confident my head wasn't *actually* going to explode (i.e. I wasn't going to die), i was just wishing i would.

Finally after about 2 hours of bouncing between ERs with this tear-producing headache (I can't even remember the last time that happened as a result of pain) and no one that could do a thing about it, while sitting with all but the bottom layer of my clothing removed in the 3rd ER's waiting room, the headache started to subside over the course of about 30-40 minutes. I informed the intake nurse who then informed me that they were no closer to getting me back than when I arrived over an hour ago, so I woke my gf up and we came home. I went straight to bed and experienced no more headaches through the night.

Has anyone ever had AD brought on by music or lights? i've been to at least 5 or 6 shows with comparable environments and not had anything but an amazing time. Is this a sign of getting old? I'm a little bit freaked out today by all this. i have an appointment with my pain doc next week - wondering if ned to see someone sooner.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

For me, alcohol not only makes the night more pleasurable, but also reduces (more often than not eliminates) spasms and AD. A good reason to enjoy a few drinks whenever going out.

Comment

AD can be caused by any painful/noxious stimulus below your level of injury. Was your bladder draining OK? 90% of causes of AD are related to the urinary tract. Had you had bowel care recently? 2% of cases are related to the GI tract. The other 8% of cases are caused by anything from bad sunburn to broken bones, skin breakdown, improperly fit seating systems, or, as you say, genital sexual stimulation.

Yes, your head can "explode"! I have seen people have strokes and even die from uncontrolled AD. You much take action to remove the cause immediately when you have signs and symptoms.

You should discuss this with your primary care provider, and see about getting a home AD kit you can keep in your wheelchair backpack with things like nitropaste or nifedipine capsules, a blood pressure cuff, and a way to empty your bladder (cath kit or irrigation supplies to unblock a catheter). Although recent research indicates lidocaine jelly 2% is not effective in the rectum for preventing AD, I have seen in practice many times this lowers the blood pressure and allows bowel evacuation without further increasing the BP.

You should also carry with you an AD card or the professional clinical practice guidelines to give to health care professionals when you are seeking assistance for AD. Few paramedics, doctors, or nurses know about AD unless they have worked in SCI care for sometime.

You can get a good card from the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation: https://s3.amazonaws.com/reeve-asset...Adult-5-18.pdf

You can get a copy of the Clinical Practice Guideline from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine, published on the PVA website: https://pva.org/wp-content/uploads/2...ysreflexia.pdf

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I just downloaded the card. Gave one to mpy GF to have on her at all times too. I knew that AD was not a well known thing amongst healthcare providers, but i did not expect for them to act as if i was making shit up. That "blew my mind" almost as much as my headache.

I'm still not sure about the cause. Bowel and bladder were fine. No ingrown tonails or skun issues. It was just like any other day... with the exception of being at the concert.

I was SO wiped out all day yesterday (the day after) and still had a bit of a linfering headache. Gonna try to get in to see soneone in the outpatient clinic at my rehab hospital this week. If nothing else, they should be able to help me get a "kit" together, i guess.

​​​​​​​The whole thing has got me a little weirded out. I've always considered myself lucky that I've been able to mostly dodge this potential bullet of the SCI world. Hopefully this was a fluke and not something that is going to be putting any heavy milage on my new AD Kit.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

It would good if you talked to your SCI provider to get a prescription for nitropaste to keep on hand to treat yourself if this happens again. And keep and AD card on you in emergencies. I hope you’ve recovered from such a traumatic event.

SCI-Nursepbr
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
          X