Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapping out hand controls to a new vehicle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Swapping out hand controls to a new vehicle

    I have mechanical push rock sure grips in my van. Soon I should be getting my traverse back from ATConversions. Of course mobility works will not switch over my old hand controls. They look to me like they are adjustable in length and they are clamped to my gas and brake. Other than making sure you don’t screw in to any electronics in the steering column it looks like a monkey could do it😂.
    anyone have experienced switching out controls?

    #2
    I had monarchs that I used on a Datsun pickup and a Ford pickup and a tractor. They all had just a straight column so the controls didn’t have to be bent. But every car I’ve had required the rods on the controls to be bent in some way to clear. And I think the installer has a liability.

    Comment


      #3
      I used to install Monarch controls-and often moved them from one car to another, for my customer.
      That was in the late 80's. The only parts we sometimes needed was a different mounting bracket-but, back then, there were only 2.
      At some point, the practice was mostly discontinued-I'm not sure if there were liability concerns, or if the dealers profit was the motive.
      Doesn't matter.
      You're right-not rocket science-but finding someone willing to do the work-and assume the potential liability might be difficult thee days.
      Good luck.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cementhead View Post
        I have mechanical push rock sure grips in my van. Soon I should be getting my traverse back from ATConversions. Of course mobility works will not switch over my old hand controls. They look to me like they are adjustable in length and they are clamped to my gas and brake. Other than making sure you don’t screw in to any electronics in the steering column it looks like a monkey could do it😂.
        anyone have experienced switching out controls?
        Perhaps ATConversions are averse to hiring monkees?
        I would lodge a complaint with your version of the Ministry of Cultural and Racial Concerns😉
        Or find a monkee

        Nah, I believe that the truth is, most of the installation pricks like to clip the ticket on the new install equipment-- bastards!


        Comment


          #5
          I use portable hand controls. No fuss. Easy. DIY.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by cementhead View Post
            I have mechanical push rock sure grips in my van. Soon I should be getting my traverse back from ATConversions. Of course mobility works will not switch over my old hand controls. They look to me like they are adjustable in length and they are clamped to my gas and brake. Other than making sure you don’t screw in to any electronics in the steering column it looks like a monkey could do it😂.
            anyone have experienced switching out controls?
            update, with some help got the hand controls switched over. Also fabricated a console shifter with park release button modification. Extended my blinkers and added accessories to turn knobs on radio and heater controls. Total cost around 200.00


            Comment


              #7
              Good news cementhead ! 👍😄

              Also fabricated a console shifter - is that for those bloody cursed foot emergency brakes? I have never liked them ever since I drove a mates Pontiac back in the 70s.
              What was the set up you used? I assume that it was an electrical actuator?

              Originally posted by cementhead View Post
              update, with some help got the hand controls switched over. Also fabricated a console shifter with park release button modification. Extended my blinkers and added accessories to turn knobs on radio and heater controls. Total cost around 200.00
              Last edited by slow_runner; 18 May 2022, 7:04 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
                Good news cementhead ! 👍😄

                Also fabricated a console shifter - is that for those bloody cursed foot emergency brakes? I have never liked them ever since I drove a mates Pontiac back in the 70s.
                What was the set up you used? I assume that it was an electrical actuator?
                no it’s a center console automatic with a park release button on the front. I clamped on some gas pipe and used some bent solid rod and springs to push the button to shift.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by cementhead View Post
                  no it’s a center console automatic with a park release button on the front. I clamped on some gas pipe and used some bent solid rod and springs to push the button to shift.
                  Good on you for reaching a solution that works for you cementhead.

                  I think those units are equally as bad.
                  How to move out of boggy situations if you cannot use the handbrake as a 'feathering' anchor? Hillstarts too.
                  Handbrake 360s ? (joking there😀) Well, not quite - when I was young.......

                  It seems to me that the auto industry is trying its best to make driving easier for mindless idiots who are unable to learn a skill base 😃

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X