Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musical I am writing about my spinal cord injury

Hi Carecure,

I've posted here before about the fact that I was considering writing a musical about my own journey of being paralyzed by a drunk driver. That was three years or so ago. I am putting the finishing touches on it and it should be ready for workshopping in the next two months. In my opinion, creativity is cathartic for an artist when confronted by a sudden life change like spinal cord injury.

I’ve written approximately 20 songs already. The show tells the story of Isaac, a musician representing me (I am a composer, arranger, accompanist, and pianist by trade) and the parallel story of Jess, modeled off the woman who rear-ended me, and my knowledge of her story before and since the accident. The show delves into the emotional and physical journey of the two main characters, and the fallout that affects their relationships with the supporting roles (Isaac’s love interest, his parents, Jess’s best friend, etc…). My goal with this show, titled “Facing the Music,” is to depict the humanity and courage that arises during times of trial and the often difficult and painful recovery that takes place afterwards. I feel a little uncomfortable speaking on behalf of the SCI community, because everyone's story is different, but my show addresses some of the things we all have in common....grief, the search for hope and the mental toughness we all have that keeps us going. So in that sense, it is a kind of tribute to this community. If it brings more awareness and support for cures and treatments that would be worth it in itself.

Here is a link to a YouTube of the opening song “Life Behind The Wheel,” which I had orchestrated and sung by a professional vocalist. The lyrics are in the description. (One note: there are small scenes that happen in certain sections of the song, so realize that the song is not straight-through singing…I just didn’t want to put in three minutes of vamping 😊)

The context of the song is as follows:

“Life Behind The Wheel” is the opening song of “Facing the Music.” It introduces the main character, Isaac, as the show opens. Isaac, a pianist, is getting ready for a typical day full of rehearsals and concerts. The character can be described as outgoing, sarcastic, friendly, very talented, and even a bit too confident. During the course of the song, Isaac is getting dressed, packing his keyboard equipment in his car, and driving to his parents’, Rachel and Kevin, to pick up his laundry. Isaac expresses his love for his crazy and unconventional life, with wry humor but also genuine reflection regarding the path his life has taken.

Hope you enjoy.

"Life Behind The Wheel", from the musical "Facing The Music" - YouTube

"Leela, you look beautiful. Incidentally, my favorite artist is Picasso."

Very very great!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Sounds great.......hope you continue with this project and see it performed! There's so little in the arts that reflects life with a disability.

Comment

Thanks Triumph. I agree with you. I’d like to broaden the conversation about it. There is still such a fear and stigma surrounding people with disabilities.
        "Leela, you look beautiful. Incidentally, my favorite artist is Picasso."

Comment

Working...
        X