No announcement yet.

Week of hell rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read this "response" and am infuriated for you. I don't think they have learned a thing and have no intention of teaching anyone anything about special patient care. This is a perfunctory, lazy and stupid response. Drill the lesson home for them. Drill, baby drill.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Agree with skippy13. This letter is condescending and patronizing. It refers only to your subjective "experience" and "expectations," without accepting any responsibility or culpability on the hospital's part. I don't know what the best course of action would be now. But without public exposure of some kind, like bringing the situation to the attention of a media consumer affairs department, I doubt anything will change at the hospital or in their corporate policies. They're hoping you'll just let it drop.

Nice to see you again, Skippy!
      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Could one of the SCI-Nurses give me a suggestion on how to respond?

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly, they are just trying to cover...you will never get a response admitting they made an error or were negligent. If you want to pursue this further, you may need to contact a medical malpractice attorney to see if they think you have cause for a suit. (KLD)

The only problem with suing is that they are only local hospital that is equipped for major surgeries/trauma. I went to a smaller hospital last Monday to discuss getting a colostomy from the only other colorectal in the area and because of my previous abdominal surgeries that were done, she was worried about getting into more than her hospital was capable of handling. She referred me to UK Hospital but it is too far to risk driving my van, as it is 31 years old. So, it looks like I'm stuck returning to the hospital in question. Win or lose, if I sued, I wouldn't feel comfortable going there for a Tetanus shot.
        If only I could win the lottery and move away...

Comment

Agreed, a lawsuit would seem to be premature at this point. Since you need to be in the local hospital's good graces for the colostomy and postop care, I wonder if it would be advantageous for you to request a meeting with the nursing supervisor, in which you can go over specifics about your needs and the proper ways to deal with SCI. Ask her to educate the nursing staff prior to your admission, and offer to meet with them if that would help. At least you'll be telegraphing that you intend to be proactive about your care.
          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

I'm going to write a serious letter to the hospital... its the one that I was in after my wreck 31 years ago. In less than 4 weeks, I had 3 pressure sores, I had lost about 60 pounds (I was 6'6" and 185lbs, skinny already), I had almost nonexistent protein levels in my blood and a blood clot in my left leg that they didn't know about. When my family arranged for me to go to Shepherd Spinal Center the doctors actually asked them what they could do down there that they couldn't do.
            I'll let the patient advocate understand that I am not really satisfied with the response but that I will probably be having surgery there in the near future and if I have another bad stay, I won't bother with a complaint letter and will go straight to Joint Commission and contact a lawyer.
            If the surgery goes well, my main problem of no one doing a bowel evac won't be a problem, but hell unto the person who does not change my ostomy bag!

Comment

I didn't write my response letter to the hospital yet, as I wanted to wait and see how my colostomy consultation went. Last year I went to Dr. "A" and discussed a colostomy and he was was on board but since I couldn't get him to use an ostomy nurse for placement and I wanted to get vaccinated first, I put it off. Then I required emergency surgery for the torn mesentery tissue and a small bowel blockage, which was done by Dr. "W". A member of the surgical team told me that I would have to wait a couple months before I rescheduled the colostomy. I waited 2 months and called Dr. "A". I spoke to an ostomy nurse pre-hand and was going to ask Dr. "A" to refer me to her office before we did the surgery, but because Doctors "A" & "W" are in the same office and Dr "W" did the emergency surgery, then "W" would have to do it. I was still upset with that previous hospital stay and do to the runaround, I went to the colorectal surgeon I mentioned above. I gave in and called Hell hospital to talk with "W". I go there yesterday and he tells me that he does not/has never done an elective colostomy, mainly because he thinks there are too many drawbacks to them, but because my incision still has a few open wounds that can't stay closed, he uses that as more reason to not do the surgery. I explain that my incision keeps doing that because I have to roll every day for my bowel program and my quad belly pulls apart as I roll. If I skip a day the wound will completely scab over and then when I do roll over the scabs come off. He gets back onto the negatives of doing the surgery but says if I want to see Dr. "A" he'll set that up when he gets back. My worry is that being the more senior surgeon, "W" will poison the well with "A" before I see him. Anyhow, I'll for sure November 3rd.

After that, my only alternative is a larger hospital that is a little too far for me to trust my 30 year old van to make it.

Comment

😔 I admire your perseverance. It will win out... if you live long enough.🤣

Comment

• Scott C4/5
                  Scott C4/5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a big if! lol

If you’re out there Scott please give us word that you’re OK

Comment

Scott, it’s November 7,
                  7 PM where are you?
                  You’re usually posting, are you OK? Please give us word.

Comment

Two weeks is too long not to hear from you please or else we will call.

Comment

Please let someone know that you are ok.
                      ckf
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Still no word from Scott? Does anybody live near the Huntington area of West Virginia or know him as a personal friend? We have been acquaintances for the past year and a half,
                        we met on this website. maybe that makes us friends. We would chat regularly as we suffer many of the same conditions., for sure he’s a real good person.

Comment

I left messages on Scott’s phone, it just goes to voicemail

Comment

Scott we all miss you I hope you’re safe and OK out there

Comment

Working...
                            X