Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCI tips for getting acclimated to A/C office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCI tips for getting acclimated to A/C office?

C7 quad, 12 years post.

factors in play, no particular order:
    1. I quit drinking 17 months ago, seems that my blood alcohol level used to keep me warmer
    2. intermittent fasting past 2 years (variant, I eat once a day, drink 2 gallons water)
    3. have gone 90% vegetarian (caveman diet) in the last couple months.
    4. lost ~20lb since I quit drinking and quickly approaching healthy BMI since drastically reducing meat
    5. co-worker menopaused, assumed hot-flashes
    6. another co-worker morbidly obese, sweats just breathing
    7. 2' square forced air vent 10' directly above my workspace, no way to divert/block the air flow
    8. warmest summer on record
    9. A/C set to 65F, blows colder all day long with multiple points of escape (open doors etc) - it never stops because it can't reach the temp set at the thermostat location
    10. turning 45 this year (stay off my lawn!)
    I have a super cushy office job that I would never give up. What work I have to do I enjoy and it is deemed essential I be here in-person. Looking for tips & tricks to keep me from literally convulsing/shivvering to the point where I can't operate a mouse correctly (quad) to do my job.

I've tried taking outdoor breaks throughout the day to warm up but the shock of coming back inside the "walk-in beer cooler" is taxing on my energy reserves.

I have been wearing this - https://www.tegstools.com/milwaukee-...xis-jacket-kit - for the past few weeks, highly recommend to keep core warm. Today (middle of July) I am also wearing a wool toque, ski-pants and alpaca wool socks and I feel ridiculous. Fingerless gloves are en route via Amazon.

What else can I try? I work for/with nice people and not looking to inconvenience them, my SCI is my problem not theirs.

Hope everyone is having a decent summer, I realize I have a really good problem considering people are dying from the heat around the world.

umbrella to divert the blast?

Comment

It would probably benefit your company to look into changing the diffuser over you to distribute the supply air in the room more evenly. And perhaps have a qualified HVAC contractor balance the system.

Comment

I would just add that fixing this problem would be a reasonable accommodation provided by your employer as required under the ADA if requested by you as a way to make your workplace more accessible to you. Talk to your supervisor and HR about making this a formal request.

I know you are not in the USA, but in Canada, so that may not legally apply, but the USA system can serve as a model for you and your employer there.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I’ve been in a similar situation tho my vent wasn’t as big as yours. Why can’t you divert or block it? I’ve purchased angled plastic diverters that stick to the vent w side magnets and re route the airflow away from me. I recently purchased and love this vent cover which is actually a better mousetrap https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive made my own vent covers using four strong magnets in the corner of a shipping envelope lined with bubble wrap. I stapled around each magnet in each corner so they’d stay put. Likewise could glue to a slab of styrofoam.

My daughter bought me a heated chair liner but I never tried it. Seemed inconvenient. I guess potentially a pressure sore problem with that solution too.

There are the microwave reheatable gizmos like booties, wristbands or whatever.

Could you at least switch desks with someone who wants the direct blast of the AC? Ambient 65 is still shockingly cold, even without the direct blast.

Good luck and sympathies!

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
            umbrella to divert the blast?
            winner winner chicken dinner. there's even an unused cable routing hole in my desk that I can plop a patio umbrella into. Going to try to re-produce Neil Young's On the Beach cover. This is going to be fun after all!

thanks bfd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheri View Post
              I’ve been in a similar situation tho my vent wasn’t as big as yours. Why can’t you divert or block it? I’ve purchased angled plastic diverters that stick to the vent w side magnets and re route the airflow away from me. I recently purchased and love this vent cover which is actually a better mousetrap https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive made my own vent covers using four strong magnets in the corner of a shipping envelope lined with bubble wrap. I stapled around each magnet in each corner so they’d stay put. Likewise could glue to a slab of styrofoam.

My daughter bought me a heated chair liner but I never tried it. Seemed inconvenient. I guess potentially a pressure sore problem with that solution too.

There are the microwave reheatable gizmos like booties, wristbands or whatever.

Could you at least switch desks with someone who wants the direct blast of the AC? Ambient 65 is still shockingly cold, even without the direct blast.

Good luck and sympathies!
              I had a co-worker come with a ladder to remove the hanging ceiling tile next to the vent to check but he did not see a shut-off valve on the giant air duct. 🤷‍♀️ I don't want to do anything too permanent because it will cool off again eventually.

thank you for the ideas though, and I appreciate the commiseration.

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post

winner winner chicken dinner. there's even an unused cable routing hole in my desk that I can plop a patio umbrella into. Going to try to re-produce Neil Young's On the Beach cover. This is going to be fun after all!

thanks bfd.
                sometimes the ridiculous is the best way.

Comment

You could also consider wearing a hat if feasible dress code wise. You lose a lot of heat from your head. I used to work with a psychiatrist who saw patients wearing a suit with a kangol style hat for 40 years. I assume it was because he was bald, but it was a pretty professional environment and he pulled it off. They make a lot of those type hats out of wool which could be pretty warm.

Comment

Whatever, don't start drinking again, even if your ass falls off! If your ass falls off, I suggest take it to a meeting
                    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                    NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post
                      C7 quad, 12 years post.

factors in play, no particular order:
                      1. I quit drinking 17 months ago, seems that my blood alcohol level used to keep me warmer
                      2. intermittent fasting past 2 years (variant, I eat once a day, drink 2 gallons water)
                      3. have gone 90% vegetarian (caveman diet) in the last couple months.
                      4. lost ~20lb since I quit drinking and quickly approaching healthy BMI since drastically reducing meat
                      5. co-worker menopaused, assumed hot-flashes
                      6. another co-worker morbidly obese, sweats just breathing
                      7. 2' square forced air vent 10' directly above my workspace, no way to divert/block the air flow
                      8. warmest summer on record
                      9. A/C set to 65F, blows colder all day long with multiple points of escape (open doors etc) - it never stops because it can't reach the temp set at the thermostat location
                      10. turning 45 this year (stay off my lawn!)
                      I have a super cushy office job that I would never give up. What work I have to do I enjoy and it is deemed essential I be here in-person. Looking for tips & tricks to keep me from literally convulsing/shivvering to the point where I can't operate a mouse correctly (quad) to do my job.

I've tried taking outdoor breaks throughout the day to warm up but the shock of coming back inside the "walk-in beer cooler" is taxing on my energy reserves.

I have been wearing this - https://www.tegstools.com/milwaukee-...xis-jacket-kit - for the past few weeks, highly recommend to keep core warm. Today (middle of July) I am also wearing a wool toque, ski-pants and alpaca wool socks and I feel ridiculous. Fingerless gloves are en route via Amazon.

What else can I try? I work for/with nice people and not looking to inconvenience them, my SCI is my problem not theirs.

Hope everyone is having a decent summer, I realize I have a really good problem considering people are dying from the heat around the world.
                      I am c7 also. Had same problem at work. The only thing that helped was staying really busy to keep my mind off the cold. I know its tough working through that.

Comment

I keep a mini heater fan on my desk aimed at me and use it when needed. It works well beside making your eyes and skin a bit dry …
                        Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

When working in the computer room back in the 80s it was very cold and used to wear thermal underwear shirts and take them off as soon as going into a 90° Florida parking lot.

However maybe it's because I'm just scrawny but any moving air across my chest will get me congested.

When hot keep pouring ice water on the back of the neck and as soon as getting home, stick your head under the sink.

If you're coming in from the cold and getting into bed, put a damp towel into a plastic bag and nuke it until it's nice and warm but will not burn you. When you get into bed put the bag between your knees and put the covers over you as well as the thermals and hat :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X