Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something to ponder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Something to ponder

    Soon most of us will be using electric cars, trucks and other vehicles (excluding power chairs). As these vehicles’ batteries fail or go dead from use, what’s to become of them .
    Landfills refuse to take them and recycling hundreds of thousands batteries will over load the the system. Where will these batterie go? I envision storage, most likely out in the weather. Will they become menaces to the environment? I have yet to see or hear anything about this issue. Perhaps millions of discarded battles will not become a global problem.


    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

    #2
    I am pretty certain there will be a sophisticated re-cycling program for them styled after what some German carmakers are doing in Europe. (Cars aren't "junked", they are disassembled and recycled by the manufacturer in special dedicated facilities. The `amount of material not getting to landfills is startling!)

    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nDzCV7Bmt9GRa9

    https://insideevs.com/news/436066/bm...cling-rate-96/
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

    Comment


      #3
      Interesting article from Science magazine on this topic:

      https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...dead-batteries

      (KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

      Comment


        #4
        In the near future, lithium recycling will need to be like lead acid battery recycling. However, if lithium batteries catch fire, you can not put it out (to the best of my knowledge). Imagine a big truck load of used lithium batteries on the highways. Dangerous is an understatement. This may be why our government hasn't addressed this issue. A lot of cowards in office not wanting to join the "protect the environment" band wagon. I'm sure lithium recycling will cost more and that costs will be included in the price when purchased new.

        No doubt you raised a good question. I've pondered it myself but not researched it, yet.
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
        Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Interesting article from Science magazine on this topic:

          https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...dead-batteries

          (KLD)
          Everyone should read this. I found it interesting that China recycles more batteries than all other countries combined.
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
          Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Gearhead View Post

            Everyone should read this. I found it interesting that China recycles more batteries than all other countries combined.
            I also just learned that China has, more or less, stopped taking in the world's plastics for recycling, so my state (Virginia) sorts all the plastics OUT of the recycling bins ($$$), then sends it to our landfills! Our entire system was based on sending the stuff to China. WTF. I had no idea that putting plastic into recycling bins did nothing but waste time and money!
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

            "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Oddity View Post

              I also just learned that China has, more or less, stopped taking in the world's plastics for recycling, so my state (Virginia) sorts all the plastics OUT of the recycling bins ($$$), then sends it to our landfills! Our entire system was based on sending the stuff to China. WTF. I had no idea that putting plastic into recycling bins did nothing but waste time and money!
              China quit buying our clean plastic because of Trumps tariffs. He's such an amazing negotiator. Maybe the best ever.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gearhead View Post
                In the near future, lithium recycling will need to be like lead acid battery recycling. However, if lithium batteries catch fire, you can not put it out (to the best of my knowledge). Imagine a big truck load of used lithium batteries on the highways. Dangerous is an understatement. This may be why our government hasn't addressed this issue. A lot of cowards in office not wanting to join the "protect the environment" band wagon. I'm sure lithium recycling will cost more and that costs will be included in the price when purchased new.

                No doubt you raised a good question. I've pondered it myself but not researched it, yet.
                BURN??
                https://www.facebook.com/SouthallNam...74412199583045
                69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                NW NJ

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Oddity View Post

                  I also just learned that China has, more or less, stopped taking in the world's plastics for recycling, so my state (Virginia) sorts all the plastics OUT of the recycling bins ($$$), then sends it to our landfills! Our entire system was based on sending the stuff to China. WTF. I had no idea that putting plastic into recycling bins did nothing but waste time and money!
                  I worked for Honda Manufacturing years ago. They claim to be a zero landfill company. We would sort our trash (massive amount daily). A sub contract company would come down the isles towing a large box, almost dumpster size. They would dump all our different colored cans in that one box. The contents of that box was loaded in a garbage truck bound for the landfill. Technically Honda wasn't lying as the sub contractor was doing the dumping. Ethically they lied every day.

                  The same thing happened in Birmingham. Special (more expensive) garbage trucks with different compartments for recyclables were filmed dumping their contents in the landfill.

                  Proper recycling will require a government funded infrastructure.
                  Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                  Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...ery-recycling/
                    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                    NW NJ

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The "red's" anti-EPA stance will make this a slow & rough road. From what I've read on Lith recycling, it will require close monitoring. Much more than lead/acid. On the positive side, like all renewable energy sources, it will create jobs. Replace jobs like those being lost in the coal industry. I live in a coal state and it is running out or not cost effective to mine. Of course the miners are in denial and big anti-EPAers despite our major coal ash problem.
                      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                      Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Gearhead View Post
                        Of course the miners are in denial and big anti-EPAers despite our major coal ash problem.
                        Yes, people fail to understand that the demand for most coal products has plummeted over the last 10 years. Whatever the EPA rues are, you cannot sell coal if there are no buyers. China has reduced it's coal consumption radically over recent years.

                        It concerns me that most of the senators and representatives boosting electric vehicles seem clueless about the environmental impact of the burgeoning quantity of lith-ion batteries needing to be recycled or disposed of. Biden's plan includes some money for recycling research, but that is the extent of awareness.

                        I recently read a description of the European Union's research and planning re recycling electric batteries. It is long, complicated and expensive.

                        The public tends to embrace new tech, like lith-ion batteries, as miraculous solutions to environmental problems. There is very little discussion of of the new environmental consequences of the new tech. There is no action without reaction and this will be a long and expensive road to reducing carbon emissions. The recycling programs will create emissions, and I pray the new tech improves our situation on balance.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          [QUOTE=Tetracyclone;n2910158]

                          I recently read a description of the European Union's research and planning re recycling electric batteries. It is long, complicated and expensive.

                          Also dangerous and toxic, hence the expense.

                          Our Governor is promoting quick charge station infrastructure. I'm amazed due their penalty (they call it a fee) on solar homes. The anti green movement is huge with our legislators.

                          AL is also not known for it's adherence to EPA laws. Coal ash piles near rivers and populated areas. If you fish, don't eat any caught in the wild from my state. Fishing farms are popping up everywhere. Safest why to fish here.





                          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                          Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X