i need a little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need a little help

I've come in contact with a newby. he's t6 young. he's been in a nursing home for 2 years. i've tried to get him to exercise, push his chair and do push ups. he does a bit then just watches tv. anyone got any ideas how to bump him forward?
    thanks

He needs adaptive sports to get that adrenalynn pumping again.

Comment

Sounds as if he could be seriously depressed. Does he also have a TBI?

Does he have any viable options for getting out of the NH? Does he have family? Does he want to do that? If he has no goals, it is hard to get him motivated to do the things he needs to do to make that work. Can you get him to join us? Join a local support group that is doing on-line meetings?

Sorry there is no magic motivation powder we can sprinkle over people!

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

what is his level where is his family

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
          SCI-Nurse commented
          Editing a comment
          It says in the original post his level is T6. (KLD)

Drag him over here! Somebody will connect with him or my name's shit-for-brains!
        Maybe me; there's a very overactive 15 year old in me busting' ta' get out!
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Having become a quad when I was 17, there were a number of factors that kept me moving.

I was a farm kid and valued the independent lifestyle. I hated being dependent.

The thought of me ending up rotting away in a nursing home kept me searching for a way out. I grasped at any straw that offered a way out.
          I was offered an opportunity to go to the Kessler Rehab Institute, which had just opened. I jumped at the chance to give my parents a respite, Nither I or anyone else heard of rehab.

Within an hour after I arrived their in the evening, my mindset changed completely. There were other SCIs there in advanced stages of rehab. They were doing things that normal people do, including having fun. Seeing was believing. If they could do those things, maybe I could too.

About 2 weeks after I had arrived, a 16 year old quad was admitted. I was his designated mentor. The therapists got us in a friendly competition to cee who could dress faster, learn to do transfers.etc. It really worked.

The quad lived nearby. He was a handsome kid with blue eyes and blond hair. High school girls came in droves. Under the circumstances he shared his gird friends with me. We found a curtained off are in the PT area where we engaged in some heavy petting. City girls were a lot more liberal than the country girrls I knew. Of course there are serious downsides to being confronted with sexuality issues, but it have some positive aspects. What guy would not show off his developing biceps hugging a girl. lol

In retrospect, it was a series of unexpected goals that fell into place and kept me moving.

There are motivators out there. Finding them is largely a triad and error process. Sometimes it is necessary and appropriate to drag or push the person to get them moving. I suggest you do a little reading about "learned helplessness." It may be key to what is going on.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I hate seeing lives go to waste.
          Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs; 23 May 2021, 3:37 PM.

Comment

Adaptive sports is a good idea. Start slow and make it fun. Like wheelies (cord attached to the ceiling for safety), slalom courses, and jumping curbs. Beyond just having fun and challenging oneself physically, everyone needs purpose. What is his reason for getting up in the morning?

Comment

Family dynamics can play a big role in motivation/attitude. It did with my injury. They dumped me at my home with no plans for any type of support. This caused deep depression for a long time. Very hard to recover from. Thankfully I have good neighbors & friends.

Simple visits can mean a lot. Listen to what he has to say (even if it's a repeat). Talk about solutions for simple (for AB) tasks IF he wants. Eventually the conversations will evolve into things other than his injury. Mental recovery from being dumped is a slow and long process. Find his interests. Something as simple as bird watching or any other thing that he wants (puzzles, board games, etc). Wake up his mind away from TV. Hopefully better days and interests will motivate him. Life can be more than just existing. Pushing him into activities he doesn't want to do now can have negative effects. He's gotta want to do them himself.
              Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
              Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no magic potion that he can take to fix his motivation. The suggestions given are great. He has to find something he is willing to work for.
                It's great he has an advocate in you.
                ckf
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                X