Kill me now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kill me now

my smartnav headmouse died. the company went out of biz. the other couple of headmouses are around a thousand dollars. i've been in bed for 7 years and the only thing that keeps me sane is my computer. aside from my echo, it controls everything. i can type with a mouthstick but it took me forever to get to this site and i accidentally closed a couple tabs getting here. grr... wat i wouldn't give for a boring ordinary life. rant over... i just hope that i can post this without closing my browser.

Completely sucks when stuff like that goes out of business. I know you're blowing off steam, so I'm sorry for responding with a solution. I'm a tech guy, so sometimes I can't stop myself.

Is gaze tracking stuff practical? Does it work? I notice that this software is open source, so you're only on the hook for the cost of the hardware. (Not trivial, but less than $1000). https://precisiongazemouse.org/manual/

That solution also requires you to come up with a way to click, which they don't provide, but they point to a few options including dwell-based (i.e., just stare at something long enough and it clicks). Wobble switches are $150 and sip-n-puffs are like $400! None of this stuff is cheap.

Please forgive me if I'm making stupid suggestions about stuff you've already tried and dismissed.

Comment

• Scott C4/5
      Scott C4/5 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the second headmouse that I have owned in 15ish or so years. I use an old recline switch and a homemade sip-and-puff for clicking. Depending on how tired my arm is. I was able to "fix" it, though. I had to adjust the tracking filter in the software but I think the light sensors are going out. I hope that I win the lottery before it completely dies.

I don't know how well the webcam and gaze software works but I might try it soon to use as a backup.

I spoke to someone at NaturalPoint and he said they could probably fix it for you. He said to give them a call 888-965-0436

Comment

• Scott C4/5
      Scott C4/5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I have a second Smartnav that doesn't work (got a refurbished one) that I will see if they can fix.

• Scott C4/5
      Scott C4/5 commented
      Editing a comment
      accidentally clicked twice...

Scott-
    I'm sorry to hear of yet another problem, er, I mean challenge. 😍

Comment

I got it working for now... hopefully it lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
        I got it working for now... hopefully it lasts.
        Great to hear.

Comment

It started going out again so I called the company and they diagnosed it for me. The sensor needs replaced so I'm getting it fixed for around $100 or less. I hate to do without it for an hour, let alone a couple days but that's better than paying $1000 for a new one. Thanks everyone!

Comment

It started going out again so I called the company and they diagnosed it for me. The sensor needs replaced so I'm getting it fixed for around $100 or less. I hate to do without it for an hour, let alone a couple days but that's better than paying $1000 for a new one. Thanks everyone!
            I would get both refurbished.

Comment

I shipped them out today. I'm not sure if both are fixable but its worth the inspection cost anyway. In the mean time, I'm using Windows "mouse keys" and an app that turns your tablet or phone into a touchpad mouse. They work, but my God this is exhausting! lol

Comment

I shipped them out today. I'm not sure if both are fixable but its worth the inspection cost anyway. In the mean time, I'm using Windows "mouse keys" and an app that turns your tablet or phone into a touchpad mouse. They work, but my God this is exhausting! lol
                Hang in there. Definitely worth the inspection cost. Keep us updated.

Comment

Does this mean I do not get to kill you yet?? 😫

🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• Scott C4/5
                    Scott C4/5 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Its wearing me out just to switch tabs and type, but hold off on the euthanasia for a little while please. lol
                Working...
                X