X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabled man harassed when parking his accessible van

Disabled man harassed when parking his accessible van

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/disabled-...-van-1.5332622
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

No excuse taking up two handicapped parking spots. I'm finding the same with my newer 2019 fold out ramp van. It's just a few inches longer than my old in floor so am concerned about parking because the extra zoned space next to the h'c spaces are getting smaller and smaller. I used to be able to jump the lip of the ramp to get on but am using a ZX1 now and the lips of the fold out ramp is much higher. I plan on taking it in somewher and getting about 12" length of the ramps edge cut down so I can jump up on it.

I either don't park there and try to find a spot at the end of the parking spaces.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
      SCI-Nurse commented
      Editing a comment
      Note that this is not in the USA, where standards for width of van accessible handicapped parking may be different. Not clear if he is parking across two spaces, or into the "grid" (which we have ADA standards for van accessible spaces here). Parking into the grid though is illegal in the USA. (KLD)

• yoda291
      yoda291 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a full size ford E-150 wtth the side open lift. If I can't find a handicap space Wide enough to park in and get out, I look for an end spot or I go to the back of the parking lot where there's lots of empty spaces and take up two there , nobody minds then.

Do you know that in different parking lots the striped area can be different? Any Statewide or Nationwide standard is ignored and almost never enforced. I've lived in two different states FL and PA and had to park taking up two spaces or at an odd angle to prevent people from parking next to me. Its a royal pain in the Butt!

Below picture was from a European country.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DjRr1qcX4AAzh7F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	2907523
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

I hear you Norm, it is a pain in the butt how small some (most) of the H/c spaces and grid zones are now. It's at the point where I don't like going to some places because of the parking and concern others will park too close.

Comment

have you noticed most dr office have plenty of spaces but few that you can lower ramp i refuse to lower mine when i am on the downside of hill.

i have never parked crossways now i will back in so i can use ramp depending on cross. but i too if no wheree find a place out of the way and park side ways. i alway tell stor manager too

Comment

Since I got my SD I park way out in the lot. A lot less aggravation not having to put up with all the #&^$* that use the gimp spots that don't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
            Since I got my SD I park way out in the lot. A lot less aggravation not having to put up with all the #&^$* that use the gimp spots that don't need to.
            whats an SD?

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              I think he is referring to a Smart Drive. (KLD)

Originally posted by Norm View Post
            Do you know that in different parking lots the striped area can be different? Any Statewide or Nationwide standard is ignored and almost never enforced. I've lived in two different states FL and PA and had to park taking up two spaces or at an odd angle to prevent people from parking next to me. Its a royal pain in the Butt!

Below picture was from a European country.

Click image for larger version Name:	DjRr1qcX4AAzh7F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	2907523
            Every unload space should be exactly like this! That way people could not park there illegally.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
              SCI-Nurse commented
              Editing a comment
              You'd still get the scoff-law motorcyclist though. (KLD)

He lost all validity with me when he took up TWO accessible spots. If you have to park at an angle do it in the regular spots.
            "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I am dealing with this issue where I live. It is a private condo building so they will not allow me a handicap accessible spot because Fair Housing laws do not cover such a modification. Believe me I have tried legally with the local ADA group only to be told you are out luck. I was taking up two spots for entry but my vehicle got vandalized and nasty notes were left.

I now look for an end spot outside and park there even though I have an indoor spot. The building does have an indoor handicap spot that can only be used for 15 minutes or you will be towed.

Comment

Working...
              X