Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Is Your Place In Line To Get The Covid-19 Vaccine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I may be walking into something that I have been trying to avoid, but here goes. I do not expect to change anyone's mind, but I do hope that I give people pause to think.

I should preface this with I work in NYC at a large academic medical center. We were the epicenter for several months and continue to see over 900 patients a day in our system with COVID-19. Over 30% of them ended up on a ventilator and I am honest in saying I do not know what the mortality rate was or is. I do know a few things: 1 - this is NOT the flu. We see patients who have complications and severe cases of the flu. They are not even close in the amount of care that they require. 2 - I know what it is like to walk past 18 wheeler refrigerate trucks that are acting as morgues. I don't recommend it for anyone. 3 - my colleagues and I are exhausted. Not just tired but spent. We have all known people who have died from this virus- some of them our colleagues - we have all given every ounce of our beings to provide care to these patients, and they just keep on coming. So I beg of you - please Mask Up, Socially Distance and Wash Your Hands. And PLEASE, whether you are healthy or not, consider getting the vaccine.

ckf
    Thank you so much. The country will forever owe you and your colleagues a debt of gratitude.

Comment

KLD- The reason for the March 15 start date for residents under 65 is a shortage of vaccines. We have to get older folks vaccinated first, ,as they are more likely to end up in the hospitals. I was also announced that (most) disabled Californians can begin getting vaccinated immediately.

Comment

New York State just opened the eligibility rules to people with comorbidities and pre-existing conditions, that includes spinal cord injuries, on today February 14, but already there are no appointments available.

There’s a huge demand for vaccinations and still not a lot of supply. Not sure how many weeks it’ll take to get vaccinated… Hopefully not too many since the coronavirus is spreading widely in the area where I live just outside of Albany NY.
        C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

im getting my first shot friday, shitty thing is i cant get my wife vaccinated, she is considered my caregiver, since im a quad, but no go. my doctor did the order for both of us, but in florida there isnt any guidance for this
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Really well organized inoculation system here in our little S. GA community. Over 65s have been getting shots. My husband and I received our 2nd yesterday!

Comment

I’d rather get ivermectin.

Comment

Covid-19 cuts U.S. life expectancy by a year in first half of 2020, biggest drop since WWII
                By Adela Suliman and The Associated Press

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-half-n1258219

Life expectancy in the United States fell by an entire year in the first half of 2020 as Covid-19 swept through the country, health data published Thursday found, a decline not seen since World War II.

Racial minorities suffered the biggest impact from January through June 2020, with Black Americans losing nearly three years and Hispanics losing nearly two years, according to preliminary estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"This is a huge decline," said Robert Anderson, who oversees the data for the CDC. "You have to go back to World War II, the 1940s, to find a decline like this."

Life expectancy is how long a baby born today can expect to live, on average, if death rates remain the same.

Provisional life expectancy in the first half of 2020 was at its lowest level since 2006, the CDC data found.

NL

Comment

US Tops 500,000 Virus Deaths, Matching the Toll of 3 Wars
                  https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...raws-near-500k

Appalling statistic:
                  The COVID-19 death toll in the U.S. topped 500,000 Monday, a staggering number that all but matches the number of Americans killed in World War II, Korea and Vietnam combined.

Unbelievable!!!

NL

Comment

IN NJ, SCI not in group homes, long term nursing homes are not even eligible.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Cris
                      Cris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Would it help if you started smoking?

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
                    IN NJ, SCI not in group homes, long term nursing homes are not even eligible.
                    Appears the Center for Disease Control guidelines in Phase 1C would sweep people with Spinal Cord Injury, under the age of 65 years old into eligibility. Albeit, it is a little late considering the several co-morbidities with which people with Spinal Cord Injury might present, including in some cases, compromised immune and/or breathing systems.
                    • People aged 16—64 years with underlying medical conditions which increase the risk of serious, life-threatening complications from COVID-19.
                    NL

Comment

FDA says Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine meets requirements for emergency use authorization

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/healt...sis/index.html

In an analysis released Wednesday, the US Food and Drug Administration said the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine has met the requirements for emergency use authorization.

The efficacy of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine against moderate to severe/critical Covid-19 across all geographic areas was 66.9% at least 14 days after the single dose vaccination and 66.1% at least 28 days after vaccination, a new analysis meant to brief the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee said.
                      "There were no specific safety concerns identified in subgroup analyses by age, race, ethnicity, medical comorbidities, or prior SARS-CoV-2 infection," the analysis said...

An independent group of FDA advisers, the Vaccines and related Biological Products Advisory Committee, will consider the documents and make a recommendation about whether the Covid-19 vaccination should be authorized. The committee meets on Friday.

We will likely see the Johnson and Johnson one dose vaccination approve on Friday. This vaccine is 66% effective overall in protecting against Covid-19 and 85% effective in preventing severe disease which includes illnesses requiring hospitalization.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/29/covid-vaccine-comparing-jnj-pfizer-moderna-novavax.html
                      How it works:
                      Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine utilizes adenoviruses, a type of virus that causes the common cold, as a vehicle to deliver instructions to cells about how to fight the virus. When injected into the arm, the adenovirus can’t replicate or cause illness, but it does create antibodies.

The CDC has recommended that people get whichever vaccine is readily available to them, rather than waiting for one or another particular vaccination.

NL

Comment

SCI-Nurse
                        Super Moderator
                        14 Dec 2020, 10:31 PM
                        Please make an informed decision about this vaccine. There have been too many deaths and disabilities from this virus.

SCI-Nurse commented
                        7 Feb 2021, 8:56 PM
                        You and your friends' refusal to get vaccinated will make it so we don't reach herd immunity (80% vaccinated), and will have to continue to use pandemic precautions. Selfish. (KLD)

SCI-Nurse commented
                        8 Feb 2021, 5:19 PM
                        Stop posting uninformed posts about COVID-19 on this forum, please. It is alarming how willing you are to display your ignorance. Take it to the Politics forum.
                        Unbelievable that you don't get the Kool-Aid reference to Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple!

From reading this site and the guidance seems to be inconsistent and/or conflicting. We are supposed to make an informed decision about the vaccine as long as decision is to take it. Which SCI nurse are we supposed to believe?

Which SCI nurse is speaking for the SCI Care Cure website, which one is just an opinion, what is the official answer from the Care Cure website. Are personal insults by moderators with different opinions now acceptable practice for behavior modification when assessing the medical guidance? It certainly does not help the dissemination of accurate scientific information.

This site loses credibility because of lack of internal consistency and conflicting answers and responses. It reminds me of the abortion debate either you have control over your own body or the government does, which is it, or do people with spinal cord injuries fall in all different category? In other words, you have the right to your own opinion as long as it agree with mine.

Comment

I got my Moderna first shot at Publix on February 12. I am scheduled to receive my 2nd dose on March 12.
                          No issues to report at all. I am a 68 yo Black Cuban. C6-C7 Quad. Please, get vaccinated; it might prevent you and your love ones from getting sick.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanQuad68 View Post
                            I got my Moderna first shot at Publix on February 12. I am scheduled to receive my 2nd dose on March 12.
                            No issues to report at all. I am a 68 yo Black Cuban. C6-C7 Quad. Please, get vaccinated; it might prevent you and your love ones from getting sick.
                            Glad everything went good with you. I'm 48 and waiting for my turn. Hopefully it won't be long.

Comment

My Dad (78 year old para/lung disease/immunodeficiency) got his first shot (Pfizer) this week. It was pure luck he got it. His area is way behind on vaccinating. His town is focusing on the 1b group of teachers/educators/school staff first, and then over 80 year olds, and then his age group. But we got a call from a friend of a friend who found out they had extra shots one day so we raced and got him in just in time.

The vaccination site was not wheelchair accessible so we had to lift his chair to get him in the building. Ugh. And navigating many feet of snow was no fun.

He did fine. A little ache in his shoulder for less than one day.

It's crazy, but I got both of my vaccinations already. As his family unpaid caregiver, our county decided to vaccinate us with the first group (1a - healthcare workers). After the first shot (Moderna), I had shoulder pain for a couple of days and maybe a little fatigue. The second shot hit me a lot harder. Very sore shoulder, and then by the evening flu like symptoms (fever/body aches/fatigue) with a really bad headache that woke me up in the night. Felt pretty crappy for a couple days and took tylenol, which helped. Honestly, I'm glad I had these side effects. It means my immune system was working/activated!!

Comment

Working...
                              X