Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Is Your Place In Line To Get The Covid-19 Vaccine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please make an informed decision about this vaccine. There have been too many deaths and disabilities from this virus.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• juniorsenior
      juniorsenior commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like this making an informed decision is the problem here. You are telling people they can read whatever information they deem credible and now they know better than an expert whether or not to take this vaccine. Professionals have to say “read these sources if you don’t trust me but you should take this vaccine”

"juniorsenior,"
    The best informed decision is probably made after a discussion with the physician you see regularly and who knows you and your situation the best. That is not to say you shouldn't read as much as you can from reliable sources to educate yourself about the vaccine. Likely, your physician will appreciate that you have taken the time to educate yourself, understand the options, and be able to have a meaningful discussion with him or her, and ask intelligent questions, rather than having knee jerk reactions to hearsay.

NL

Comment

Having a friend who is a pharma VP and having a kid currently in a PhD program w peers involved in covid research, I can’t get my hands on the vaccine soon enough. My concern is that it doesn’t sound like we’re classified as a priority group. I wasn’t aware of the immunocompromised possibility for us. I had assumed that the inability to breathe or cough deeply should be really important but that’s technically not asthma, not COPD....How do we advocate for ourselves to be ahead of the general public for this?

Comment

The VHA (Veterans Health Administration) has prioritized SCI/D long term care Veterans for getting the COVID-19 immunizations. At our local VA SCI unit, they, and the clinical staff working at the SCI Center, were the FIRST to get the immunizations this last week for the entire facility. Inpatients are first, and they will be rolling it out for outpatients in the next 1-2 weeks.

https://www.sandiego.va.gov/features...accination.asp

You may be able to share this information with your PCP in your discussion about being included in the Phase 1C immunizations coming in January, 2021.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by yoda291 View Post
          I'll sit this one out. I was in the Bronx VA in '76 during swine flu. Only ones who got sick were the ones who took the swine flu shot.
          Yepper, when I was in the Navy in the 80s, I served aboard the USS Nimitz, bombing the hell out of innocent people. They gave us a FLURRY of shots before we went to the med. Still have my vaccine records. While in the med, they made the entire ship, some 6500 squids ake the flu shot. Better than 2/3 of us got the flu and had to work through it for over a week. LAST vaccine I ever took. Started my research and learned the truth. I can link you to a video that shows the entire history of it from the very beginning, if interested. I don't get sick with colds, flu or anything else. I keep my body's immune system working to the best of it's ability.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
            SCI-Nurse commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope that works for you. This vaccine is made with a completely different process than the swine flu immunization, and the COVID-19 virus is a much more virulent virus with serious complications for many who do survive it. 300,000+ dead in the USA alone! Not getting vaccinated is a selfish act; as herd immunity can only be achieved if at least 70% of the population get immunized. I can't wait to get mine. (KLD)
            Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 29 Dec 2020, 2:41 AM.

• yoda291
            yoda291 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Cap! I'd check it out but am not on Facebook

Originally posted by CapnGimp View Post

Yepper, when I was in the Navy in the 80s, I served aboard the USS Nimitz, bombing the hell out of innocent people. They gave us a FLURRY of shots before we went to the med. Still have my vaccine records. While in the med, they made the entire ship, some 6500 squids ake the flu shot. Better than 2/3 of us got the flu and had to work through it for over a week. LAST vaccine I ever took. Started my research and learned the truth. I can link you to a video that shows the entire history of it from the very beginning, if interested. I don't get sick with colds, flu or anything else. I keep my body's immune system working to the best of it's ability.
          Every year when the annual flu vaccine season arrives, you hear the same story.

But consider, the thing is with any vaccination is that you might have been exposed before you got the vaccination or after you got the vaccination, but before your body had developed immunity. We should fully expect to hear those kinds of anecdotal stories popping up with the Covid vaccine as it is administered to the general population.

Likely, "Capn", the crew on the Nimitz had multiple exposures to the flu before the Navy became aware of it, the flu spread like wild fire in such tight quarters, and the Navy was just trying to play catch up by vaccinating everyone to help prevent the entire crew from getting the flu. People got sick, but maybe their exposure took place and took hold before people could develop immunity.

New opinion from the CDC about immunocompromised individuals receiving the Covid vaccination:
          CDC Weighs In on COVID-19 Vaccine for Immunocompromised Patients:
          https://www.docwirenews.com/docwire-...ised-patients/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued guidance over the weekendregarding messenger RNA (mRNA) COVID-19 vaccines in patients with underlying medical conditions. According to the CDC, “mRNA COVID-19 vaccines may be administered to people with underlying medical conditions provided they have not had a severe allergic reaction to any of the ingredients in the vaccine.”

The two vaccines currently approved for use in the United States are the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, with
          Pfizer’s approved on Dec. 11 and Moderna’s receiving approval just one week later. Both vaccines use mRNA. (Here’s a full explanation of how the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine works.) They have both also generated a lot of buzz—excitement in the scientific community, and caution or hesitancy among patients—as they are the first mRNA vaccines to receive FDA approval for any disease, leaving many questions yet to be answered as further research is awaited.
          The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
          issued guidance over the weekendregarding messenger RNA (mRNA) COVID-19 vaccines in patients with underlying medical conditions. According to the CDC, “mRNA COVID-19 vaccines may be administered to people with underlying medical conditions provided they have not had a severe allergic reaction to any of the ingredients in the vaccine.”

The two vaccines currently approved for use in the United States are the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, with
          Pfizer’s approved on Dec. 11 and Moderna’s receiving approval just one week later. Both vaccines use mRNA. (Here’s a full explanation of how the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine works.) They have both also generated a lot of buzz—excitement in the scientific community, and caution or hesitancy among patients—as they are the first mRNA vaccines to receive FDA approval for any disease, leaving many questions yet to be answered as further research is awaited.

Comment

Originally posted by yoda291 View Post
            I'll sit this one out. I was in the Bronx VA in '76 during swine flu. Only ones who got sick were the ones who took the swine flu shot.
            I do not think so. The H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic was during 2009.

Comment

• yoda291
              yoda291 commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't know about 2009 but I was there in '76

1976 swine flu outbreak - Wikipedia
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak
              In 1976, an outbreak of the swine flu, influenza A virus subtype H1N1 at Fort Dix, New Jersey caused one death, hospitalized 13, and led to a mass immunization program. After the program began, the vaccine was associated with an increase in reports of Guillain-Barr? Syndrome, which can cause paralysis, respiratory arrest, and death.

Originally posted by CapnGimp View Post

Please post or send the link.

Comment

The flu shot cannot cause the flu. It’s biologically impossible. Any immunization can cause an immune reaction and make you feel sick. That’s kind of the whole point of an immunization. Anyone who’s had the flu vs the extremely mild flu like symptoms after an injection knows the difference.

Also with the flu specifically, but very few other immunizations, it is entirely possible to get the flu after getting a flu shot because what we call the “flu” is really dozens and dozens of different viruses that are constantly mutating and we only make the immunization for the 3 or 4 that we think will be most prevalent.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                Also, the flu immunization takes 14 days to be effective, and is at best 80% effective in preventing the flu. If you get exposed around the time you got the flu shot, you could still get the flu. If you have the bad luck of being in the 20% ineffective group, and get the flu, it will be much less severe. (KLD)
            Working...
            X