Doubling up today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubling up today.

In addition to Thanksgiving, my wife and I are celebrating our 55th wedding anniversary. Despite Covid we have a lot to be thankful for. Hope y'all have a great day too.

Agreed. I just TKO’d a bladder infection and got out of the hospital last night. 3 days of no sleep and 9 bags of Meropenum. Grateful for their lab’s diligence, as my first culture came back clean. Grateful to be home with my family, instead of still being admitted, like so many are. This life ain’t easy, but it’s finally been completely worth it to me. For that I’m truly grateful. Keep crushing it, my friends. Happy Thanksgiving

Comment

Same to you! Nice 311!
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

Comment

Thanks. I’m able to sell my tundra, but I’m hanging on to my baby. Only 2000 miles on the power train before my fall. Steve Tim’s 2017cc with a KCR 3.88 super street trans. Dyno’d 115hp @ crank. Ran high 14s when I got a few traps. Cruises like a Cadillac on the freeway. Hard seeing it sit right now, but I can’t decide.

Comment

You CAN drive it and you'd love it!
          I built an 88 GTI and raced it for 3 years in SCCA's ITB (improved touring) class. You need to get some 68 on automatic stickshift parts: the vacuum control device, the shifter with microswitch built into base, and the vacuum servo. The vacuum tank is good, but any ~1.5 gal vessel that will withstand a vacuum works fine. (I used an aluminum on board extinguisher bottle). Trust me on this, it works incredibly well! You'll need to find a way to mount the vacuum servo,
          `8" canister 6 inches, long with 8mm threaded rod protruding, and link it to the clutch arm. My hunch is direct connection to clutch arm would work but you might need to lengthen the arm slightly to get it optimized. It's a compromise between having enough mechanical advantage that the servo can easily handle the load and minimizing the amount of vacuum/airflow which, of course also slows the process.
          It's probably a simple bolt in deal for the shifter but you'll probably be able to use the 4spd reverse lockout plate. What's essential is that you incorporate the base of the autistic shifter which has a microswitch deal in it. When you move the shifter fore or aft, the first ~10mm of movement closes the switch which grounds the solenoid in the vacuum control device which almost instantly fully opens and pulls the vacuum servo, depressing the clutch.
          The vacuum control device has 3 1/2" ID hose nipples. One delivers vacuum from the intake with a check valve so vacuum is not lost when it goes low. One goes to the vacuum tank, basically a closed bottle with a nipple. The third goes to the vacuum servo.
          We got the autosticvk in 68 which had a torque converter in the bell housing feeding into the transaxle and a 180mm clutch deal inside the transmission. This allowed dumb American drivers to start and stop using only brake and gas.
          Mid sixties, VW 1200 sedans had "Saxomat" transmission option which was like autistic but no torque convertor; when you stopped, you had to either hold the shifter, to declutch, or put it in neutral.
          The vacuum control device also has a small/3.5mm vacuum hose to the carburetor where it gets a "load signal" which is generated by a portjus Upstream of the throttle plate. This provides a weak vacuum signal that mimics airflow. I hadn't expected how ell it could work until I tried! On the Digifant EFI GTI, I took out the idle bypass speed screw and stuck a 1/8NPT x 3/16" compression union deal, through drilled it and inserted a 3/16 steel brake line through it so the opening was just clear of the throttle butterfly as it came off idle.
          There is an adjustment screw in the vacuum device that controls how quickly the device releases the clutch based on this load signal.
          I had a momentary contact toggle switch mounted to the hand control to hold the clutch open at stops, etc. Shifting gears otherwise controlled clutching on the fly.

In the GTI racer, which requires basically a .040 over stock engine, blueprinted with headers (IOW-no racy cams), I was able to let it idle and release the clutch, and it would slowly move off on level ground.
          <OR> pulling out onto the highway from stopped, give it about 1500rpm and it would engage just like it should, with me feeding in throttle as it was engaging; it mimicked nearly exactly the dynamics of driving before injury!
          <OR> pull up next to the kid in the Civic and when the light changes, at 2500 rpm, dump the clutch and hell-out.
          It was simply wonderful!!
          PM me and I'll give you my number. Believe me! The hardest part of this will be finding the parts!

Happy Thanksgiving and anniversary, and sorry for the threadcrap but I couldn't not!
          Last edited by pfcs49; 27 Nov 2020, 3:09 AM.
          69yo male T12 complete since 1995
          NW NJ

Comment

For sure! DM is definitely best...we’ll give the thread back

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55+yrs View Post
              In addition to Thanksgiving, my wife and I are celebrating our 55th wedding anniversary. Despite Covid we have a lot to be thankful for. Hope y'all have a great day too.
              congratulation yes we all do have a great day

Comment

Working...
              X