The years keep piling on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The years keep piling on

Today I became 55 + 11,or 66 years post injury. That is a heavy load to carry.. The years have taken a toll on me. Early in my SCI life I was a C-7 complete super quad. These days I am functioning more like a C-5. Next month I will be 83 years old. I get tired just thinking about what my body has been put through. Here are a few:

I lost 2\3 of my stomach because of a medication error
    I had an illegal conduit put in.
    I am a testicular cancer survivor.
    I had my left hip joint removed.
    I fractured my femurs 3 times.
    I fractured my right wrist.

I am awed by how much punishment a body can survive.
    It has been a long hard road that I traveled.

If you are interested, here's my autobiography.
    Last edited by Jim; 30 Oct 2020, 11:34 AM. Reason: added link

you are a inspiration i have enjoyed your post and you are a pioneer for us that followed.

even if we don/t agree on something
    Last edited by vjls; 26 Oct 2020, 4:22 PM.

Comment

The epitome of resilience.

Comment

You are Great!
        Keep on truckin'!
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Well done and amazing!

Comment

We are very fortunate you've been on CC all these years.

I shared your autobiography with the medical director of Kessler, he was blown away!
            Last edited by Jim; 30 Oct 2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I've seen many of your posts during the years I've popped on & off the forums here, and I had no idea you were in your 80s. One thing I have feared as a part of my injury was the potential for a reduced life expectancy. I'm so glad you are still fighting the good fight doing what you got to do despite the BS the injury brings!!!
              "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Comment

You are one who I read as to what is possible in the elder years, as I start to age into the 60's. I hope I can do as well as you have done.

Comment

Thanks for hanging in there. I enjoy all of your posts.
                  "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    We are very fortunate you've been on CC all these years.

I shared your autobiography with the medical director of Kessler, he was blown away!
                    I have many fond memories of my 1955-56 stay at Kessler. Things like squirrel hunting trips in the nearby woods, using sling shots we made with coat hangers and leg bag straps in O.T., and letting the air out of the11-7 nurses car tires when there was 6" of snow on the ground. Fortunately, my quad friend and I were never suspected of doing it because quads were thought to be incapable of doing something like that. Lol We even used the forceps from the dressing cart to get the valve caps off! Where there is the will, there's a way. My quad friend did quite well. He became a bank manager in Montclair. Bob arrived at Kessler about a month after me, and I was supposed to be his mentor. Try to imagine a 17 year old farm boy mentoring a 16 year old kid from nearby Livingson. He taught me that city boys had a life. He actually shared some of his numerous girlfriends with m. Lol.
                    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs; 31 Oct 2020, 4:59 PM.

Comment

25 years in (I was in Superman's class), I'm now 73 and very aware of my transience and I feel vulnerable! Thanks for breaking trail for all of us.
                      Not that far behind, and wondering how well I'll do, Phil
                      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                      NW NJ

Comment

Hey Bob. It’s been too long since we spoke or posted. I too reached my 83rd year. Only the last two decades in a chair. Yes our bodies are amazingly resilient. My planking days are behind me, however, I still manage to get in situations that afterwards makes for humorous stories,
                        You C.A.N.
                        Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Bravo for your resilience and endurance. From the persona your project, I presume you are quite content in your reality. I’m glad that you made it. I’m curious what you might offer as a response to those who seem to presume we might consider this life not worth strenuously pursuing/preserving.

Comment

Working...
                          X