Why Kindness Toward Disabled People Is More Complicated Than You Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Kindness Toward Disabled People Is More Complicated Than You Think

I've Been Paralyzed Since I Was 3. Here's Why Kindness Toward Disabled People Is More Complicated Than You Think
    by Rebbekah Taussig

This essay was adapted from Sitting Pretty: The View From My Ordinary Resilient Disabled Body

This appears in the August 31, 2020 issue of TIME.

"Like anyone else, disabled people are both capable and in need of some help. Just as with every other human, their competence and needs are unique. You have to pay attention to understand them. If you want to be genuinely, actively “kind” to disabled people, invite them into your organizations, businesses and programs. Allow them to perform in more roles than the grateful recipient of generous philanthropists. Recruit disabled engineers and dancers and office administrators and comedians and lawyers and speakers and teachers to participate in your world, and do your best to make that world accessible to them. And if you insist on using “kindness” to describe this kind of inclusion, recognize that including disabled people is a kindness for all of us. Because listening to voices that are typically silenced brings to the table nuance, endurance, creativity, beauty, innovation and power."

https://time.com/5881597/disability-kindness/

Interesting read.
    NL
Working...
X