Austin Hospital Withdrew Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Hospital Withdrew Treatment

Now I can't believe this happened, despite of how bad the man might be, The family should have the right to decide is healthcare. Not an aunt or the doctors, but his wife! I hope this does not happen to me because I'm in Texas also. She needs to hire a good lawyer and sue everyone that was involved and have that Dr. fired and never be able to work in the medical field at all.
    After doctors withheld treatment including nutrition and hydration for six days, Michael Hickson died leaving his wife and five children behind.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Yes, I read about this. While this man was quadriplegic, it was from an anoxic brain injury, not an SCI. Still doesn't excuse this though. Unfortunately he did not have an advance directive naming his agent (usually a family member), which he would have had to execute prior to his anoxic episode. This is a excellent example of why EVERYONE should have an advance directing, name your agent(s) and have a discussion with your agent(s) about what your wishes are related to advance life support and other measures.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yes I understand that, that's why I just recently updated my wills and advanced directives just to be safe. Especially with the coronavirus going around, don't need to get that!
      C4 incomplete since 1985

Comment

This is also has something to do with doctors and nurses have to decide who gets treatment or who lives due to not having any resources such enough personnel, hospital beds,ICU beds, PPE equipment.

We also see in the media that a lot of people do not want to wear masks citing their freedoms. I wish governors should plead with the people that "look you might have a right not to wear masks, but we do not have the option of denying care to people who did not wear masks. We have to treat everybody. However, when we run out of resources then nurses and doctors have to make life and death decisons."

If I were the president I would have forced 3M or other companies right away to produce masks and other PPE for the country.

Comment

• 2drwhofans
          2drwhofans commented
          Editing a comment
          Re: ?"If I were the president I would have forced 3M or other companies right away to produce masks and other PPE for the country."

Agree, but China nationalized its 3M mask factories in April.

This is one of the great miscarriages of justice, in my opinion. I am not sure why people think that they can play "g..d" but this man had a wife and as his next of kin, she should have been made his guardian, in my opinion. COVID has certainly given us a wake up call in many areas -please update your Health Care Proxy's, Wills and Advanced Directives.
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X