Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone living in HI, specifically the big island

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Anyone living in HI, specifically the big island

    I am moving to to the big island in a month or two (or three!). I see there's not a HI forum, so I reckon that means nobody is living there. If you are, hit me up please. Thanks

    I found a baclofen pump doc there, that's the main thing I was wondering about. But any info would be great!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

    #2
    Where on Hawaii? Hilo side? Kona side? North Shore? South Shore?

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

    Comment


      #3
      Kona side, Waikoloa Village for the time being, thanks KLD.

      Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Where on Hawaii? Hilo side? Kona side? North Shore? South Shore?

      (KLD)
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

      Thanks!

      Comment


        #4
        Congrats rdf, living the good life. Good check finding a pump Doc, hope your journey goes well.
        "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

        Comment


          #5
          Are you renting or buying? Kona can get pretty hot in the summer, and it is often windy. You'll pay a lot more if you want a view, and traffic in/out of Kailua can be bumper to bumper at times (not just rush hour). It is beautiful there though. Keep us informed about what you find out!

          (KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

          Comment


            #6
            Renting, and I plan on moving closer to the beach after I get settled in. My little brother moved over there a year or so ago. He owes me a lot of money, haha, so he's paying my rent til I die, which is what I asked of him as paying me back. He's making bank over there. Thanks for the well wishes too

            Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            Are you renting or buying? Kona can get pretty hot in the summer, and it is often windy. You'll pay a lot more if you want a view, and traffic in/out of Kailua can be bumper to bumper at times (not just rush hour). It is beautiful there though. Keep us informed about what you find out!

            (KLD)
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

            Thanks!

            Comment


              #7
              Hi McD, how has life been treating you, thanks for the well wishes old friend. Hope all is well with you too.

              Originally posted by McDuff View Post
              Congrats rdf, living the good life. Good check finding a pump Doc, hope your journey goes well.
              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

              Thanks!

              Comment


                #8
                Compared to California, you do not need to make Bookoo to rent a home or an apartment in Waikoloa Village, HI. What is the downside to living on the Big Island?
                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                --General George Patton

                Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                ––Paul Nussbaum
                usc87.blogspot.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hey Paul, yeah rent is about the same here in Missoula, MT, as it is in Waikoloa! Cost of living is higher, especially power. But it works out for me $wise compared to California, north or south. It's a big island, with only 150K or so population, that's an upside for me.

                  Originally posted by PN View Post
                  Compared to California, you do not need to make Bookoo to rent a home or an apartment in Waikoloa Village, HI. What is the downside to living on the Big Island?
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                  Thanks!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    From my friends who live or have lived in Hawaii, a few down-sides:
                    • Apart from Oahu, there are pretty limited medical facilities or practitioners familiar with SCI.
                    • Gas is very expensive; even more than California.
                    • Groceries are often more expensive due to the added costs for shipping.
                    • Some felt socially isolated from friends, family, and professional activities on the mainland. Expensive to fly between islands, and between Hawaii and the mainland.


                    (KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by rdf View Post
                      Hey Paul, yeah rent is about the same here in Missoula, MT, as it is in Waikoloa! Cost of living is higher, especially power. But it works out for me $wise compared to California, north or south. It's a big island, with only 150K or so population, that's an upside for me.
                      Hi Bobby, there's always a price to pay when you live in paradise. Internet prices look very reasonable. 400 Mbps may cost $65 a month. That is so much cheaper and faster than my ISP in SoCal.

                      Thanks and good luck!
                      The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                      --General George Patton

                      Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                      ––Paul Nussbaum
                      usc87.blogspot.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thanks Paul, good vibes your way too!

                        Originally posted by PN View Post
                        Hi Bobby, there's always a price to pay when you live in paradise. Internet prices look very reasonable. 400 Mbps may cost $65 a month. That is so much cheaper and faster than my ISP in SoCal.

                        Thanks and good luck!
                        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                        Thanks!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X