Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Denver from the South? Snow? Ice? Cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is someplace to start. Looks like you should be looking for something on a major street, with a major street route to your workplace. I would imagine that sales people for apt./condos would also have this information:

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...w-removal.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I live in Denver and we get 300 days of sunshine per year. yes we get snow but 90% of the time it melts the following day.
      You would do well to live near your place of work and if possible near the light rail stations.
      The population has swelled the past 5-7 years. The roads are congested of course at rush hour and to and from the mountains on I-70 on weekends and holidays.

if you learn the traffic patterns you need to judge timing to and from places.

pbr
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
        If you're from Denver (or nearby), would you expect that I would be able to get to work somehow even during the worst snow and ice storms if i was living just a mile or two away over (hopefully well maintained) city streets in the heart of Denver? Or does the city sometime become inaccessible, at least to those of us rolling through life?
        I've lived in denver for 14 of my 16 years years of SCI. I live in a neighborhood right outside of downtown (not that different or far from Lincoln Park) and have only been 100% snowed in a couple times... an that did not include efforts such as calling friends to come break me out - I was quite content to stay put those days if I recall correctly. I currently live in a house with a path out to the street where I park. With anything more than an inch of snow, there are gaggles of neighborhood kids and their shovels eager to work. When I lived in an apartment with a garage... even better.

Even if the snow falls faster than the youngsters can shovel and you HAVE to get to work, Uber is always on the prowl regardless. I've only had to have assistance once getting from the front door to the car, but the driver was happy to do it. The roads were awful and it was not an easy chore getting me and my chair through the sludge, but I got where I needed to be and didn't feel too bad asking for the help as Uber allows for tipping away the guilt. It's very rare that snow falls that hard for days at a time (and it's cold enough to stick) bringing the city to a halt. schools and businesses sometimes panic and pretend the wold is coming to an end, but there will be always be people out and about doing their thing. I would imagine that bringing on a new disabled employee with a position that cannot go unmanned as your sounds to be that they would make every arrangement necessary for you to have a place to park and a lear path to the elevator. I work contract gigs and every time I visit a client for the 1st time, most o f them bend over backwards asking what I need to get to them.

Rush hour traffic sucks... we're not talking NY or LA sicks but it still sucks ... as does weekend traffic to and from the mountains (that might be on par with trying to get in or out of NYC on a holiday weekend) but there's ways to mitigate. And it IS getting a bit congested here, but I think that's just the facts of life of living in a growing city. Those of us that have been here for a while reminisce back to 10 years ago when you could blah, blah blah.... I don't hear much of that from people newer to living here. I don't suspect it would be anything too overwhelming for you.

Feel free to ask for any more details or PM if you like. Denver is a great city. Good luck with your interviews and your eventual move.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

Working...
        X