Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Push for trampoline park regulations.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Push for trampoline park regulations.

    CBS reported, "Push for trampoline park regulations."



    Trampoline parks jump in popularity, but expert warns of "catastrophic injuries."




    Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

  • #2
    Recently, one of the park trampoline users became a C-2 quad and died. To add insult to injury, a trampoline park opened about a half mile from my house. ER visits from trampoline accidents have reportedly exceeded skateboard injuries. Hopefully insurance costs will put them out of business like in the 1950s and 60s when I got my C-7. However, with trampoline competitions now in the Olympics, the chances of a rollback are small.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SCIfor55+yrs View Post
      Recently, one of the park trampoline users became a C-2 quad and died. To add insult to injury, a trampoline park opened about a half mile from my house. ER visits from trampoline accidents have reportedly exceeded skateboard injuries. Hopefully insurance costs will put them out of business like in the 1950s and 60s when I got my C-7. However, with trampoline competitions now in the Olympics, the chances of a rollback are small.

      55 ;
      Can you clarify exactly what was put out of business by insurance during the 50s and 60s?

      Comment


      • #4
        The old trampoline parks Tim. They were everywhere in California. They were dangerous; basically a series of dug out pits with a trampoline cover over the top.
        Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-15-2019, 11:02 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          yes they were terrible lots of bad injuries

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
            55 ;
            Can you clarify exactly what was put out of business by insurance during the 50s and 60s?
            In effect, it put the manufacturers out of business. In fact, many insurance companies would not cover trampoline injuries. Those who did had to raise rates to levels that were not affordable.

            Some homeowner's policies now contain exclusion clauses in their policies. It has been reported that the explosion in the number of trampoline parks has increased ER visits to the point that they now exceed skateboard injury ER visits.

            Comment


            • #7
              thank you Patrick, i never knew that.
              Hard to believe a trampoline would be an amenity in a public park? Were they unsupervised?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                The old trampoline parks Tim. They were everywhere in California. They were dangerous; basically a series of dug out pits with a trampoline cover over the top.
                I grew up at the NJ Shore and can remember the same type of parks you describe Patrick. Basically a hole in the ground with a tarp like cover and springs. Crazy now that we know how easy it is to break a neck on one.

                Another dangerous area that I don't think has been properly addressed by the industry is the "quad wall" in swimming pools.

                https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._due_to_diving

                Comment


                • #9
                  What is considered the quad wall in pools?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
                    What is considered the quad wall in pools?
                    Tim,

                    I've seen better info than this re pools/diving and quad wall. I will try to dig up some more
                    Case #1 in this link discusses the problem. Case # 2 goes into trampolines.

                    "Plaintiff went off a diving board into a residential backyard pool. Because of the defective condition of the NSPI Standards as it relates to backyard pools and diving boards, Plaintiff hit the "quad wall." The "quad wall" is the slope where the pool goes from the deep end to the shallow end. Unfortunately, the distance from the end of the diving board to the beginning of the "quad wall" is inadequate. As a result, Plaintiff was a C-2 quadriplegic and on a ventilator. Unfortunately, Plaintiff died exactly six months after the date of his accident due to problems secondary to his spinal cord injury."

                    http://sci-law.net/Settlements.htm



                    Here's an old Seattle Times piece on the issue:
                    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...6&slug=2961019

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ChesBay View Post
                      Tim,

                      I've seen better info than this re pools/diving and quad wall. I will try to dig up some more
                      Case #1 in this link discusses the problem. Case # 2 goes into trampolines.

                      "Plaintiff went off a diving board into a residential backyard pool. Because of the defective condition of the NSPI Standards as it relates to backyard pools and diving boards, Plaintiff hit the "quad wall." The "quad wall" is the slope where the pool goes from the deep end to the shallow end. Unfortunately, the distance from the end of the diving board to the beginning of the "quad wall" is inadequate. As a result, Plaintiff was a C-2 quadriplegic and on a ventilator. Unfortunately, Plaintiff died exactly six months after the date of his accident due to problems secondary to his spinal cord injury."

                      http://sci-law.net/Settlements.htm



                      Here's an old Seattle Times piece on the issue:
                      http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...6&slug=2961019

                      I thought you were referring to what we call the hopper wall.
                      I put two pools in my home during my 50 yrs now putting one at my daughters this week.
                      The hopper wall's placement must meet minimum standards based on calculations.
                      No one puts diving boards anymore.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Boy Dies After Falling At Trampoline Park.

                        Boy Dies After Falling At Trampoline Park.



                        Ti
                        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X