Faking a High Injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting stories here.
    Wow, this is a lot more common than I thought. I don't think I'll call him out on it although I've been very close. It is not just his disability that he misrepresents it is his very name and identity too. He will hand you a business card with his name, profession etc. If you Google his credentials they all check out EXCEPT the picture....different guy. He claims to work for a large University but his business card has a run of the mill Gmail address not the University's education domain. He is an older guy. Maybe I can at least clue him in on how easy it is back check anything these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
      As it happens, most can. My spouse is trans and the majority of transgender people do not get surgery, or not the full package. As we know better than most, surgery is dangerous. A M2F (male to female) would likely love genuine silicone breasts, but the majority will stop there simply because having one's penis removed is complicated surgery. We SCId people should understand anyone's desire to avoid bladder complications! Some opt for castration because it is a simple operation and ends the production of most male hormones. My own spouse would not seriously consider surgery for the same reason I would not seek elective surgery. KEEP YOUR KNIVES OFF MY BODY! All that simply to explain that yes, s/he can take off her boobs to shower.

We have been together a long time so I get to laugh myself silly over this, which s/he does not find amusing.

Some trans people or their allies consider people like my spouse a 'pretender' or a cross-dresser. Since she works diligently to promote human rights for all LGBTQ folk, helps with fund-raisers and such, I would not accuse her of misrepresenting herself, but neither will I argue with anyone who does.

What matters is that people do not deceive others.
      My oldest son is trans and hasn't done anything surgical either, though he's saving for top surgery now.
      T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
        Dang we've had several on here. Remember that guy who said he and his twin brother had Parkinsons or something like that. He led us on for quite a while until he went too far and we figured it out.
        As I remember, it was ALS.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

There was a Mark Pals on here, seemed like his whole family was ailing from something or other, all fake and got caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
            Do you think it possible this woman lies about having worked at Shepherd? Easy enough to check, I suppose. In case she is faking she should be quietly investigated and exposed, if true. It would mean she is deceiving every client she works with.
            Maybe I didn?t clarify. It was a class while I was in inpatient rehab at Shepherd.

Comment

I get muscles spasms so strong that someone else may think that they must be voluntary. My knee straightens and my leg sticks straight out for several seconds. 20 years into my SCI I didn't show any muscle loss on my legs and didn't have a belly. It was really hard to say I had an SCI by observation. It's 35 years now and I have tell signs. But I didn't have tell signs for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                My oldest son is trans and hasn't done anything surgical either, though he's saving for top surgery now.
                I find that a very sensible priority.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
                  Maybe I didn?t clarify. It was a class while I was in inpatient rehab at Shepherd.
                  it certainly is puzzling. I'll leave it as "not my business."

Comment

Working...
                  X