florida living......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• florida living......

so where are ideal places to live in florida for wheelers? we are looking at southern florida currently. st. Petersburgh etc. cost of living looks on par with ohio .....we are considering buying or building a house, just getting a feel for everything. info appreciated.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

We're based in Gainesville, FL. Been here for 13 years now and it continues to grow on me. I know a few people in wheelchairs here, but not many, so I can't really say if it's ideal or not. There is a large paved trail system that would be great for handcycling, the Hawthorne Trail (part of Florida's Rails-to-Trails program).

Tampa / St. Pete area has a LOT going on for wheelchair users. The Tampa VA is huge and hosts a lot of adaptive sporting events. Top End is also based in that area. Orlando has several adaptive fitness centers and is very accessible. Miami is the only other place in Florida that I know of that has a lot going on for wheelchair users, especially related to the Miami Project.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

Comment

I live in Orlando, but Florida in general seems to be pretty great for accessibility. St Pete is a great area, it' not what I;d consider South Florida, but it's still a great area. Just be aware, coastal cities get evacuated for hurricanes. Not to say it will happen, but it is very possible. Plus, quads are text exempt, so no property tax.
      Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
        I live in Orlando, but Florida in general seems to be pretty great for accessibility. St Pete is a great area, it' not what I;d consider South Florida, but it's still a great area. Just be aware, coastal cities get evacuated for hurricanes. Not to say it will happen, but it is very possible. Plus, quads are text exempt, so no property tax.
        yes the tax exempt is a big draw. am i correct on cost of living being decent? home prices look on par as well.
        below are cities nm mentioned
        Gainesville, St. Petersburg and Sarasota?

many thx guys.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com

Comment

We live in St. Petersburg. We enjoy the area. A two bedroom two bathroom apartment is around $1,500. Of course if you want to spend more they have that also. The area is real accessible. I honestly don't think I have had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            yes the tax exempt is a big draw. am i correct on cost of living being decent? home prices look on par as well.
            below are cities nm mentioned
            Gainesville, St. Petersburg and Sarasota?

many thx guys.
            john I live in Crawfordville south of tally 20 miles in a community called oyster bay right on water homes here 90,k to where I live 250k up but that ocean or canal living great place to live

Comment

thx hack. st pete looks very affordable....... if we can find a ranch that we can do minimal remodel too we would go that route if not we will build....
              Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
              We live in St. Petersburg. We enjoy the area. A two bedroom two bathroom apartment is around $1,500. Of course if you want to spend more they have that also. The area is real accessible. I honestly don't think I have had any issues.
              i'll check out that area
              Originally posted by vjls View Post
              john I live in Crawfordville south of tally 20 miles in a community called oyster bay right on water homes here 90,k to where I live 250k up but that ocean or canal living great place to live
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com

Comment

According to the Abilities.com website the best places for a person with a disability to live in Florida are: https://www.abilities.com/community/...st-cities.html
                #4 Tampa
                #5 St. Petersburg
                #44 Jacksonville
                #66 Pembrook Pines
                #88 Fort Lauderdale
                #99 Tallahassee

These are the ratings of these cities in Florida out of 150 places rated in the United States.

For the final ruling on most favored status, the study crunched the numbers from the nation?s 150 most populated cities across three primary dimensions that impact the disability community: economic environment, quality of life and healthcare.

There are many of the places rated lists. It is interesting to take a look at a few of them to see how much the vary. My search criteria was "Best Cities for People with Disabilities to Live."

Comment

Check the cost of home owners insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                    Due to hurricanes and flooding?

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                      According to the Abilities.com website the best places for a person with a disability to live in Florida are: https://www.abilities.com/community/...st-cities.html
                      #4 Tampa
                      #5 St. Petersburg
                      #44 Jacksonville
                      #66 Pembrook Pines
                      #88 Fort Lauderdale
                      #99 Tallahassee

These are the ratings of these cities in Florida out of 150 places rated in the United States.

For the final ruling on most favored status, the study crunched the numbers from the nation?s 150 most populated cities across three primary dimensions that impact the disability community: economic environment, quality of life and healthcare.

There are many of the places rated lists. It is interesting to take a look at a few of them to see how much the vary. My search criteria was "Best Cities for People with Disabilities to Live."
                      Take this with a grain of salt. Older parts of LA can be difficult. But for the most part, LA is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California.

https://access2mobility.com/10-of-th...ssible-travel/

Comment

#4 Tampa
                        #5 St. Petersburg
                        #44 Jacksonville
                        #66 Pembrook Pines
                        #88 Fort Lauderdale
                        #99 Tallahassee

These surveys are all over the map literally. LA rates very low. But in my experience it is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California. Because it is newer.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                          These surveys are all over the map literally. LA rates very low. But in my experience it is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California. Because it is newer.
                          \

Originally posted by August West View Post
                          Take this with a grain of salt. Older parts of LA can be difficult. But for the most part, LA is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California.

https://access2mobility.com/10-of-th...ssible-travel/
                          Yeah, I understand your point, but the realities are there are not too many people who can buy into the California market and the original poster was asking about locations in Florida

Comment

CHcked that already, on par with what we pay now in ohio for home in or near tampa area.
                            Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com

Comment

yah, love socal but not in our budget
                              \

Yeah, I understand your point, but the realities are there are not too many people who can buy into the California market and the original poster was asking about locations in Florida
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                              X