Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Due to hurricanes and flooding?
    my home ins is 2800 a year I have no flood ins as I own it also I am 19 feet in air my home in ga that was 3400sq was 1400.00 a year but taxes were 5300 a year

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
      According to the Abilities.com website the best places for a person with a disability to live in Florida are: https://www.abilities.com/community/...st-cities.html
      #4 Tampa
      #5 St. Petersburg
      #44 Jacksonville
      #66 Pembrook Pines
      #88 Fort Lauderdale
      #99 Tallahassee

These are the ratings of these cities in Florida out of 150 places rated in the United States.

For the final ruling on most favored status, the study crunched the numbers from the nation?s 150 most populated cities across three primary dimensions that impact the disability community: economic environment, quality of life and healthcare.

There are many of the places rated lists. It is interesting to take a look at a few of them to see how much the vary. My search criteria was "Best Cities for People with Disabilities to Live."
      I'd encourage anyone with SCI who considers moving to Florida to locate within easy transport distance to SCI trained doctors & hospital.
      If you intend to grow older in Florida, you don't want to have to educate the doctors you may see while in the throes of an SCI emergency.

And the highly-ranked doctors and hospitals often won't accept scans, MRIs, etc. except that are done on their own equipment.

Do yourself a huge favor and research locations near good medical resources.

Also be aware that the waterways on both coasts of Florida are having steadily increasing problems with 'red tide' and toxic algaes in the water, due to warming oceans and pollution runoff. These can cause severe respiratory and skin problems, just from breathing the air near the water.

Florida can be a great place to live, but visit and do your research first before buying.
      Last edited by Crashbang; 03-08-2019, 04:49 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
        Due to hurricanes and flooding?
        Hurricanes, flooding rainstorms, sink holes, stand your ground laws

Comment

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
          Hurricanes, flooding rainstorms, sink holes, stand your ground laws
          Don't forget the rising oceans from the non existent global warming and this morning I saw FL is listed 51 on the list of safest states for seniors. "51st" of the states that's the most interesting part.

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
            Don't forget the rising oceans from the non existent global warming and this morning I saw FL is listed 51 on the list of safest states for seniors. "51st" of the states that's the most interesting part.
            Did Cali subdivide or something?

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
              Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
              Did Cali subdivide or something?
              Possibly Puerto Rico was included in the consideration.

"Baldfatdad," would you share the source of the information?

Comment

Actually, I'd be interested in thoughts on the San Diego area if anyone has some suggestions on areas to consider. As much as SoCal is expensive, I expect it would be lower cost compared to the SF Bay area and still have very good resources and accessibility levels.

Comment

I searched the internet and found this site: https://www.theseniorlist.com/data/s...tates-seniors/

Their ratings listed Washington, DC as one of the states, so 50 states plus DC.

"Our analysis looked at five key factors affecting Americans 65 and older — fraud victimization, violent deaths, living alone, median rental costs and poverty. Each state (and the District of Columbia) was ranked and a corresponding number (1-51) was assigned based on that ranking. Each state’s ranking in each category was then added to create the overall risk ranking. Lower numbers mean states present less risk to seniors in these categories, and higher numbers equal higher risk."

At this website, Senior Advice, https://www.senioradvice.com/article...es-for-seniors, Florida ranked 7th out of 10 best states for seniors. Rankings of the 10 best in order, number one was Virginia followed by Hawaii, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, Maryland, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and West Virginia.

"Analyzing hundreds of variables across four categories, including recreation and leisure opportunities, retirement finances, health and safety, and overall quality of life, we have ranked all 50 states based on senior-friendliness."

There are quite a few of the Best Places... lists, all seem to report differently. Hard to find your haven!

Over the years, since I retired, NL and I have made this topic one of our past times. Whenever one of these lists comes out, yearly, we review them and spend a while talking about the possibilities of living here or there. Maybe it is inertia, we are happy where we are (but maybe there is some place better), moving is a lot of work, spending an adequate amount of time in a new place to evaluate it as a home not a vacation can be difficult...and we aren't getting any younger.

Good luck to all trying to make this big decision.
                  Last edited by gjnl; 03-09-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                    I searched the internet and found this site: https://www.theseniorlist.com/data/s...tates-seniors/

Their ratings listed Washington, DC as one of the states, so 50 states plus DC.....
                    And it says that: " Florida posed the greatest risk to seniors."
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                      And it says that: " Florida posed the greatest risk to seniors."
                      Yes, it does.
                      Last edited by gjnl; 03-09-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Hey fuente,

Ohio's never going to be the same.

I used to hate the thought of living in FLA because of the heat and humidity, but these winter's in Ohio are starting to get old real fast.

Comment

Vicki & me were having this same conversation!!

Comment

My two brothers both retired to FL within the last 5 years. They hate it...especially when you've got to evacuate. Always complaining about food, or lack of it, the cost of living, heat/humidity, gas prices, etc. I have a sister in Scottsdale that said she'd never stay there full time....guess what...she's pretty much full time. We visited her a couple of years back and I liked it. The area was boring as hell so, I'd need to be closer to Phoenix.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc1 View Post
                              My two brothers both retired to FL within the last 5 years. They hate it...especially when you've got to evacuate. Always complaining about food, or lack of it, the cost of living, heat/humidity, gas prices, etc. I have a sister in Scottsdale that said she'd never stay there full time....guess what...she's pretty much full time. We visited her a couple of years back and I liked it. The area was boring as hell so, I'd need to be closer to Phoenix.
                              NL was born and raised in Phoenix. I lived there from age 12 to 23. We have family living in Mesa. We have long term friends all around the valley. We would never live in the "Valley of the Sun" metroplex again, period. Summers are absolutely brutal. We have a rule, we only visit between mid October and mid April. The valley's weather in late spring, all summer and early fall is uncomfortable for us and just as limiting as the winters in the east and mid west. I know...you don't have to shovel sunshine, but in the valley, you don't go out in the sunshine, a good part of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                                Take this with a grain of salt. Older parts of LA can be difficult. But for the most part, LA is great for wheelchair access and so is most of southern California.

https://access2mobility.com/10-of-th...ssible-travel/
                                Unless you live by the ocean -- SUPER expensive -- I think finding areas in LA where you can handcycle without being killed in traffic within 5 minutes (or less), is challenging.
                                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                                X