Celebrate life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrate life!

Totally off topic, I know, but I had to share the brand new hummingbird nest and eggs I discovered in my rose bushes when pruning yesterday. The nest was empty then, but when I checked again this morning, there were two tiny eggs. This brings me joy, and I hope it does for you too!

(KLD)
    Attached Files
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Oh, KLD, thank you! This fills me with joy, too!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

I don't think it is off topic at all and has the perfect title. Thank you and Amen!

Comment

Indeed. Today was a good day for me too: several Bluejays, Cardinals, in addition to the usual Sparrows, Doves and Juncos. Looking forward to the Chipmunks coming out of their winters nap.

Comment

no I love hummers now you gonna have to please tak pictures of parents and young tks

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
            no I love hummers now you gonna have to please tak pictures of parents and young tks
            Yes! This!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
              Yes! This!
              yep, more pictures of the family. First nest I ever saw with all the 'spider web' at top, guess that's 'insulation' THANKS!

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Originally posted by CapnGimp View Post
                yep, more pictures of the family. First nest I ever saw with all the 'spider web' at top, guess that's 'insulation' THANKS!
                I love how spiderwebs have also been used to anchor the nest to plant stalks...wow, that's ingenious and impressive.

Comment

The white is a mix of dandelion fluff and spider webs, the best I can tell (there are a bunch of dandelions right next to my rose beds).

I will try to get some more photos, but don't want to scare away the parents. They will abandon a nest if disturbed too much. Ruby throats such as these hatch in 14-16 days, and then take another 4-5 weeks or fledge (leave the nest).

If you are interested in live hummingbird nest cams, this is one of the best I have found (located very near the town in Southern California where I grew up): https://explore.org/.../hummingbirds/bella-hummingbird-nest

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    I will try to get some more photos, but don't want to scare away the parents. They will abandon a nest if disturbed too much. Ruby throats such as these hatch in 14-16 days, and then take another 4-5 weeks or fledge (leave the nest).

If you are interested in live hummingbird nest cams, this is one of the best I have found (located very near the town in Southern California where I grew up): https://explore.org/.../hummingbirds/bella-hummingbird-nest

(KLD)
                    Oh no, wouldn't want to scare them at all!

That nest cam link is much appreciated, I'll bookmark it.

Comment

Very great!

And your photos remind me of Ketamine Kitty's.
                      Where is she?
                      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                      NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                        Very great!

And your photos remind me of Ketamine Kitty's.
                        Where is she?
                        Ketamine Kitty is a man. He is on FB but doesn't come here much.

(KLD)

Comment

105 Year Old Great Grandpa Meets 5 day old Newborn Great Grandson

Great link KLD!! On that note, I was sent a video today, that I think fit's the title of this folder. (turn your sound up so your can hear this great grampa's reaction in the beginning)
                          https://www.facebook.com/Break/video...6957960922792/

Comment

That's a cool nest.

Comment

Spring of 2016 was our first year in this house. 2 hummers built their nest in the strut of our kitchen window shade. It was glorious as we set up the camera on a tripod on the kitchen sink so it looked directly into the nest. We took videos. The best was a few days before the 2 chicks finally left. They had been moving around in the next (which bulged as they tried to squirm past one another) they one morning mom stood on the edge, raised her beak and throat and sang. Chicks did likewise and for 3 hours, I swear she taught them to sing proper hummer tunes.

I never felt so welcomed... well maybe. The previous house had welcomed me in the second month when I went out on the new deck to find a newborn fawn had been left 5 feet from the ramp to wait out the day and gather strength. Mom collected it before first light of the following morning. There was some rain that afternoon and I watched the fawn lick drops from its fur, but it stayed in its spot, as it was programmed to do. I've been so blessed. Nature seems to know I cannot go out much to hunt for such sights, and she deposits them in my lap. sort of.

Comment

Working...
                              X