No announcement yet.

Not so enjoyable Christmas

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Not so enjoyable Christmas

    I usually get a serious case of anxiety in the three weeks leading up to Christmas. It stems from trying to find the perfect gifts and getting them soon enough to be wrapped, plus all the other yuletide stress. This year however, I was done with 98% of my shopping by the 15th and I was feeling I was going to have a anxiety free holiday. I thought that I was getting a bladder infection on the 8th but by the time the weekend was over the symptoms were gone. A day later I felt like I was getting a head cold. I toughed it out for a few days and then took a Xyzal for my tingly nose. I was feeling better after that weekend but on the 17th, I got really full feeling after breakfast, but not sick. By dinner time, I was feeling bloated and decided against eating. Around 9 that night, I got nauseated and threw up. I knew it was an ileus. (I have had 3 in the last 2 years.) I called an ambulance and threw up several more times. I get to the ER and they do their tests (I throw up more). They tell me that it looks like gas is backing up into the liver (if that makes sense) and they might have to do emergency surgery.

    At this point, its like 5-6 a.m. and while I have been there, my blood pressure and pulse have been all over the place.

    I'm in I.C.U., waiting for surgery (that they aren't as urgent about now). I think around noon we get ready for surgery. While in the E.R. they tried inserting an NG tube. (I can not emphasize how awful getting one in is) They were unable to get it in and I pretty much just said no! Anyhow, surgery is nearing and I ask the anesthesiologist if they could put it in after I am "under" and he agrees. (I was so relieved. I was more worried about it than the surgery itself.

    Fade to black and back to light again, I'm out of surgery with 24 staples in my upper abdomen. They dove in, looked around, found nothing wrong and closed me back up. I get a room on the second floor that is not large enough for me to bring my laptop and bed side table into from home, my view is of the other side of the building and the windows weren't double pane insulated, so it was kinda chilly in there.

    Nothing but ice chips for 8-9 days. "Its time for the NG tube to come out!" Then broth and jello for a few days. Finally, I get to eat real food. Breakfast goes down and tastes good considering the source. Lunch comes around and I eat pretty well, especially considering that I don't eat lunch at home. A couple hours later, I regret eating lunch and throw up again. Back to ice chips. A day or two later I get jello and broth again. When solids come around again, I go slow. Anyhow, I get out on the 30th having missed the Christmas I was actually looking forward to.

    I have determined that my ileus's were due to antihistamines. Medical professionals may not agree, but I am adding them to my allergy list.
    My first ilues occurred a day or two after taking diphenhydramine for diarrhea, but it wasn't until almost a year later when I took diphenhydramine again that I put the two together and when I searched online for evidence I found this:

    I quit taking it/Benadryl but in April of 2018 I developed an ileus again. Since I hadn't taken any Benadryl I wasn't sure what caused it. But this time after taking Xyzal (an antihistamine) and getting an ileus, I'm pretty sure that I remember taking a Xyzal in April as well.

    Anyhow, better luck next year...

    Jesus, what a way to spend Christmas!
    But maybe you took the long way (surgery++) and solved the mystery. For your sake, I certainly hope so.
    OTOH, I've kind of gotten accustomed to hospitals-spent Thanksgiving there this year.
    And, spent 12 days with no food or water +NG tube after my colostomy because of "ileus", suddenly diagnosed on the last day as backwards colostomy and emergency surgery to reconnect my colon to the outside
    It's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it......
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ


      Sorry you guys had such a hard time. Hugs all around.