cold climate or warm climate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold climate or warm climate?

Which is better for quadriplegics, cold climates or warm climates?

My vote is for a warm climate.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
      My vote is for a warm climate.
      got my vote.
      20yrs a quad cant do cold my tone/spasms go thru the roof.

Comment

I like it cold, they heat and humidity kill me in the summer.

Comment

Warn to hot.

Comment

Depends... if you want less spasms, warm to hot... if you have trouble regulating your body tempo then cooler is better...

Comment

Is there a climate that is physiologically better or worse for quads?

Comment

Extremes of environmental temperatures can both be harmful for people with tetraplegia or high paraplegia, as the SCI/D may interfere with your body's ability to adjust to these extremes.

This makes people with SCI/D much more subject to both hypothermia and heat stroke. It may provide medical justification for air conditioning at home and work/school or keeping your heat at home higher than the 68F recommended.

It also means that you need to learn to dress in layers in cold weather, and to avoid excessive outdoor time in hot weather, being sure to use some form of artificial cooling such as a spray bottle of water, soaking a T-shirt in water and putting it on, etc., etc.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Currently nursing a coccyx area that was destroyed by North Queensland Humidity

Comment

I like a perfect 75 with no humidity. But since that is impossible I will take warm over cold any day.

Comment

Serious 4 seasons in a place where all snow is plowed immediately and I go to the security police for our Madison Mallards games to bring in a couple bottles of tap water in case I need drenching and always have a hat on. Do not eat too much while out in the heat either. We know our long Johns up here and the best place to get lightweight washable silk ones is wintersilks dot com. They sell men and women's in several weights and if you need to get a seamstress to put in buttonholes where a leg bag tube needs to go. I wear them. For both men and women the mid-weight mock neck tops are great under sweaters. If you get too warm you can wear the darker colors as tops or remove it and just wear the sweater. If you need warmer and are a veteran get your veterans card and buy what we all wore way back. Although I much prefer the new poly layered to the wools when I was in. Yes, at least at Fort McCoy almost all non-outer uniform items can be bought in the PX. McCoy does a lot of winter wear for hunters.

I can always hit the button for the gas fireplace here but once the AC hits in the south they never shut it off. That includes my spouse. So we compromise and try to spend 6 weeks out of the first 12 every year somewhere warmer.
                      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                      X