Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My terrifying experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    That's just awful! I absolutely detest yellow jackets! They start coming out here in September and we've all had numerous attacks from them while working in the yard. The only thing we've found that will get rid of the hive is to pour gasoline in the hole and light it on fire.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by tarheelandy View Post
      That's just awful! I absolutely detest yellow jackets! They start coming out here in September and we've all had numerous attacks from them while working in the yard. The only thing we've found that will get rid of the hive is to pour gasoline in the hole and light it on fire.
      Best done after they're all tucked in for the night!
      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
      NW NJ

      Comment


        #18
        absolutely at night vicious little bastards

        Comment


          #19
          Yikes! Glad you're okay!
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

          T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

          Comment


            #20
            I had to deal with those things last summer. They were in the ground in a little storage tent where I keep my mower. My neighbor sprayed the nest for me, at around dawn, one day. The next day it looked like an animal dug out the ground where the nest had been. I don't know why that would happen.
            Anyway, glad you are recovering pretty quickly. That's a scary thing to happen.
            Rich

            Comment


              #21
              Oh man, so sorry 55! That's one of my fears when clearing brush and cutting trails in the deer woods. In the haste t get away, it would be very easy to make a bad decision and get stuck and swarmed. Yellow jackets are hateful little bastards. Nothing brings one more pleasure that the WOOOF sound when you drop the match on their gasoline soaked hole.
              "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
                Oh man, so sorry 55! That's one of my fears when clearing brush and cutting trails in the deer woods. In the haste t get away, it would be very easy to make a bad decision and get stuck and swarmed. Yellow jackets are hateful little bastards. Nothing brings one more pleasure that the WOOOF sound when you drop the match on their gasoline soaked hole.
                I have no idea how one can be prepared for something like this. I am fortunate to have had a cap on. At least they did not get my balding head. I am always watching where I park outside because of the fireants down here.They are pretty easy to spot because their hills stand out in the red clay. The bees nest was hidden by somewhat taller grass right along the park fence. The city park manager sent over an exterminator. He sprayed a can of something in the nest hole and said that should take care of them. I noted that he said "should", not "will" lol
                You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                See my personal webpage @
                http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                  Best done after they're all tucked in for the night!

                  That's right!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by SCIfor55+yrs. View Post
                    I have no idea how one can be prepared for something like this. I am fortunate to have had a cap on. At least they did not get my balding head. I am always watching where I park outside because of the fireants down here.They are pretty easy to spot because their hills stand out in the red clay. The bees nest was hidden by somewhat taller grass right along the park fence. The city park manager sent over an exterminator. He sprayed a can of something in the nest hole and said that should take care of them. I noted that he said "should", not "will" lol
                    Yellow Jackets are nasty. I am so sorry you got into them. I was not aware that they build hives in the ground, or maybe here in the NW part of the county they don't bother. Ours like house eaves, parked cars, low shrubs. But do you know what they really like? Chicken, fry, broil, bake it don't matter you better beware the Yellow Jackets want it whether it's outside or inside, so be sure the screens are up.
                    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                      Yellow Jackets are nasty. I am so sorry you got into them. I was not aware that they build hives in the ground, or maybe here in the NW part of the county they don't bother. Ours like house eaves, parked cars, low shrubs. But do you know what they really like? Chicken, fry, broil, bake it don't matter you better beware the Yellow Jackets want it whether it's outside or inside, so be sure the screens are up.
                      Yes, I was surprised to learn that they are carnivores and compete with the vultures for road kill. My doc has advised me to watch for infections for a few days because they may be carrying some pretty nasty bacteria.
                      You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                      http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                      See my personal webpage @
                      http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Yellow jackets protect their ground nests up to a quarter mile radius.
                        When one of their own are killed others are signaled to attack.
                        They can sustain a flight speed up to 8-9 mph.
                        A single yellow jacket can sting you more than once.
                        The vibration of lawn mowers can stir up their ground nests. Buy a lawnmower that goes faster than 10 mph.
                        They make their nests once a year early in the season.
                        Their nests are pretty easy to locate as they tend to patrol within a short perimeter and go in and out of their nests pretty frequently during the day. They are generally inactive after dark.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Just discovered a nest in a landscaping timber at the edge of my driveway...10 feet from the end of my lift. They will die a sudden death one evening soon.
                          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X