Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic Straw Ban

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Plastic Straw Ban

    Many cities and towns across the United States have or are considering banning plastic straws. Restaurants, fast food outlets, and coffee shops and employees could be fined and/or jailed for providing plastic straws with beverages. In the city of Santa Barbara in California, a restaurant employee or owner could be fined $1000 after an initial warning to stop providing plastic straws and serve a 6 month jail term for multiple infractions of the plastic straw ban ordinance. Supposedly these ordinances have provisions that would exempt providing plastic straws to people with disabilities.

    San Francisco has passed a similar ordinance to the one in Santa Barbara. The plastic straw ban will go into effect next year. Read more here: http://eastbaytimes.ca.newsmemory.com

    Disabled Often Forgotten in the Effort to Ban Plastic Straws

    Mercury News (East Bay Times)
    July 30,2018

    San Francisco has decided to ban them in restaurants, cafes and other businesses.

    The Disney Company will do so in the happiest places on Earth.

    The global campaign to do away with plastic drinking straws is gaining momentum as environmentalistscontinue to try to reduce plastic waste polluting beaches, parks and oceans and filling landfills. Berkeley, Oakland and Alameda are among the growing list of cities that restrict or ban them in many businesses.

    But there are also unintended victims of the campaign. People such as 44-year-old San Francisco resident Alice Wong, who has a progressive neuromuscular disability that affects her ability to lift and hold things, tilt her head, swallow and breathe. For Wong, plastic straws aren?t a convenience, they are a necessity of life, and she says the ban feels like a personal attack on her. Straws allow her to drink hot liquids and bend forward to sip a drink, and the alternatives to them often fall apart too easily, fail to bend, or pose injury risks.

    Given the wide range of disabilities and needs, activists say campaigns painting straws as nonessential ignore those who depend on them. It is, they say, an issue of equality.

    #2
    Originally posted by gjnl View Post
    Many cities and towns across the United States have or are considering banning plastic straws. Restaurants, fast food outlets, and coffee shops and employees could be fined and/or jailed for providing plastic straws with beverages. In the city of Santa Barbara in California, a restaurant employee or owner could be fined $1000 after an initial warning to stop providing plastic straws and serve a 6 month jail term for multiple infractions of the plastic straw ban ordinance. Supposedly these ordinances have provisions that would exempt providing plastic straws to people with disabilities.

    San Francisco has passed a similar ordinance to the one in Santa Barbara. The plastic straw ban will go into effect next year. Read more here: http://eastbaytimes.ca.newsmemory.com

    Disabled Often Forgotten in the Effort to Ban Plastic Straws

    Mercury News (East Bay Times)
    July 30,2018

    San Francisco has decided to ban them in restaurants, cafes and other businesses.

    The Disney Company will do so in the happiest places on Earth.

    The global campaign to do away with plastic drinking straws is gaining momentum as environmentalistscontinue to try to reduce plastic waste polluting beaches, parks and oceans and filling landfills. Berkeley, Oakland and Alameda are among the growing list of cities that restrict or ban them in many businesses.

    But there are also unintended victims of the campaign. People such as 44-year-old San Francisco resident Alice Wong, who has a progressive neuromuscular disability that affects her ability to lift and hold things, tilt her head, swallow and breathe. For Wong, plastic straws aren?t a convenience, they are a necessity of life, and she says the ban feels like a personal attack on her. Straws allow her to drink hot liquids and bend forward to sip a drink, and the alternatives to them often fall apart too easily, fail to bend, or pose injury risks.

    Given the wide range of disabilities and needs, activists say campaigns painting straws as nonessential ignore those who depend on them. It is, they say, an issue of equality.
    Exactly!

    Comment


      #3
      Maybe San Francisco should focus more on tidying up the heroin needles and human fecal matter permeating their streets? Seems like a more value-added proposition

      Comment


        #4
        I seem to remember paper straws from my youth-long before plastic took over, there were perfectly useful paper straws although perhaps not with the corrugated bend thing.
        How did we EVER MANAGE without plastic!
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

        Comment


          #5
          Companies and Cities Who Have Banned Plastic Straws


          Alaska Airlines
          American Airlines
          Bon Appetit (large food service company with 1000 cafes across 33 states, including
          AT&T Park (San Francisco)
          Getty Museum (Los Angeles)_
          Vassar College (New York state)
          Washington University in St. Louis
          University of Portland (Oregon)
          Disney parks, hotels, cruises
          Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt (world-wide by 2019)
          Starbucks (phasing out plastic straws)
          SeaWorld Entertainment
          Royal Caribbean
          Vancouver, BC
          Scotland (by 2019)
          Taiwan (banning all single use plastic items, straws, cups, bags by 2030)
          United Kingdom royal estates, cafes, gift shops
          Britain-wide ban on plastic stirrers, straws, and plastic cotton swabs (proposal pending)
          Waitrose (Britain)
          London City Airport
          Costa Coffee (Britain)
          McDonalds UK
          Ryanair (plastic free by 2023)
          New York City (pending)
          Hawaii (pending)
          California (pending Assembly Bill #1884)
          Alameda, CA
          Carmel, CA
          San Luis Obispo, CA
          Davis, CA
          Malibu, CA
          Manhattan Beach, CA
          Oakland, CA
          Richmond, CA
          Santa Cruz, CA
          Berkeley, CA,
          Santa Barbara, CA
          Seattle, WA
          Edmonds, WA
          Monmouth Beach, NJ
          Miami Beach, FL
          Fort Myers Beach, FL
          Various restaurants and parks in almost every state in the United States have banned plastic straws

          Comment


            #6
            Disabled Often Forgotten in the Effort to Ban Plastic Straws

            Mercury News (East Bay Times)
            July 30,2018

            San Francisco has decided to ban them in restaurants, cafes and other businesses.

            The Disney Company will do so in the happiest places on Earth.

            The global campaign to do away with plastic drinking straws is gaining momentum as environmentalistscontinue to try to reduce plastic waste polluting beaches, parks and oceans and filling landfills. Berkeley, Oakland and Alameda are among the growing list of cities that restrict or ban them in many businesses.

            "But there are also unintended victims of the campaign. People such as 44-year-old San Francisco resident Alice Wong, who has a progressive neuromuscular disability that affects her ability to lift and hold things, tilt her head, swallow and breathe. For Wong, plastic straws aren?t a convenience, they are a necessity of life, and she says the ban feels like a personal attack on her. Straws allow her to drink hot liquids and bend forward to sip a drink, and the alternatives to them often fall apart too easily, fail to bend, or pose injury risks.

            Given the wide range of disabilities and needs, activists say campaigns painting straws as nonessential ignore those who depend on them. It is, they say, an issue of equality."



            Fairly easy to solve. Bring your own plastic straw with you; wash and reuse as necessary.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
              Disabled Often Forgotten in the Effort to Ban Plastic Straws

              Mercury News (East Bay Times)
              July 30,2018

              San Francisco has decided to ban them in restaurants, cafes and other businesses.

              The Disney Company will do so in the happiest places on Earth.

              The global campaign to do away with plastic drinking straws is gaining momentum as environmentalistscontinue to try to reduce plastic waste polluting beaches, parks and oceans and filling landfills. Berkeley, Oakland and Alameda are among the growing list of cities that restrict or ban them in many businesses.

              "But there are also unintended victims of the campaign. People such as 44-year-old San Francisco resident Alice Wong, who has a progressive neuromuscular disability that affects her ability to lift and hold things, tilt her head, swallow and breathe. For Wong, plastic straws aren?t a convenience, they are a necessity of life, and she says the ban feels like a personal attack on her. Straws allow her to drink hot liquids and bend forward to sip a drink, and the alternatives to them often fall apart too easily, fail to bend, or pose injury risks.

              Given the wide range of disabilities and needs, activists say campaigns painting straws as nonessential ignore those who depend on them. It is, they say, an issue of equality."



              Fairly easy to solve. Bring your own plastic straw with you; wash and reuse as necessary.
              Right now that is the right option, but I'm wondering if this may go further and the retail sales of plastic straws will be banned as time goes by.

              Maybe metal straws should become part of the flatware setting or at least available upon request. Metal straws come straight or have a slight angle bend in them, they can be washed in dishwashers, just like spoons and forks and reused. Obviously not a good option for take away restaurants.

              Comment


                #8
                I've been ordering paper straws on Amazon for a year-since this info came out last year. I don't need one but I love drinking out of one and these do great. I sip on water all day long and they have never fallen apart. I don't know how they would handle hot drinks though.

                https://www.amazon.com/Charmed-Rainb...EFK8GC3T8CKBQY

                Comment


                  #9
                  I also recommend that those who need them stock up on plastic bendy straws now if you need one. While I doubt that manufacture will be banned, if restaurants that have ordered them in large amounts in the past stop, they will cease to be a profitable product for manufacturers, and they may stop making them.

                  (KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    I also recommend that those who need them stock up on plastic bendy straws now if you need one. While I doubt that manufacture will be banned, if restaurants that have ordered them in large amounts in the past stop, they will cease to be a profitable product for manufacturers, and they may stop making them.

                    (KLD)
                    Stocking up on plastic "bendy" straws is a short term fix, kind of like stocking up on incandescent light bulbs. At some point in time you are going to have to make the adjustment to some other device.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I won't miss them. Next thing to go is plastic water bottles. Or at least raise the deposit price so people have to recycle. Be smart.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The UK has been going through this for a while. I've recently been to 2 restaurants and been told that they don't have plastic straws and don't have an alternative! Ask how someone like me, paralysed from the neck down is meant to drink during a meal given that I have a trache and struggle to swallow at times is meant to do to be met by a blank expression. I just tell them it'll not put other diners off if I choke on food. We do always take a metal straw but it can be difficult to get it properly cleaned if you have a few coffees whilst out.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by mrb View Post
                          The UK has been going through this for a while. I've recently been to 2 restaurants and been told that they don't have plastic straws and don't have an alternative! Ask how someone like me, paralysed from the neck down is meant to drink during a meal given that I have a trache and struggle to swallow at times is meant to do to be met by a blank expression. I just tell them it'll not put other diners off if I choke on food. We do always take a metal straw but it can be difficult to get it properly cleaned if you have a few coffees whilst out.
                          A straw cleaner brush may help.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                            #14


                            These new lids apparently use more plastic than the previous lid/straw combo due to thickness. My local recycling center put out a request to stop sending plastic grocery bags because they were jamming the machines. So we use the cloth bags as much as possible. I have those metal straws and the cleaning brushes. You have to be thorough rinsing any soap residue out (you'll taste it) and they conduct heat really well if using with hot liquid so keep that in mind.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Many people with certain disabilities (MS, Parkinson's, TBI, and CP come to mind immediately) cannot use the hard metal or glass straws as they risk damage to their mouth or teeth due to jaw clenching/tremor/spasm. Paper straws often collapse and fall apart, especially in hot liquids. Not everyone with a disability has the same issues (or lack of them) that someone with a SCI has.

                              (KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X