Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sci on american idol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgEOGLMgaI
    Last edited by trekker6; 14 Mar 2018, 12:05 PM.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

From the pre-interview: "I'm going to reintegrate myself into real life."

Apparently the last 33yrs have been fake for me ... lol ... ahhh youth.
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

This is emblematic of one of the biggest problems we face: being pitied and infantilized for just doing what normal people do: Falling in love. Having a talent. Sharing that talent. Sorry, but not "inspiring" at all. He's just a guy, with a voice and a girlfriend, but his "mild" SCI makes this "inspirational?!. Nope.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Not that good.
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Wow,
            I'm happy for the guy, how damaged does he have to be for us to accept him, we should celebrate every recovery, oh well, my wife says I'm too emotional, and that's ok with me.
            "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

Actually I thought he was good .. but no need to tear down the rest of us.
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by trekker6 View Post
                  Wow,
                  I'm happy for the guy, how damaged does he have to be for us to accept him, we should celebrate every recovery, oh well, my wife says I'm too emotional, and that's ok with me.

Who isn't accepting him? I think it was awesome he got on the show, however, Should we be patronizing on account of his injury?

I dunno whose comment youre referring too, but mine was about how he was treated by the ABs, not him, for doing something normal, and not particularly fantastic, which struck me as being overblown and patronizing by the ABs on account of his disability.

I bet he managed to leave the house with matching socks too! How inspiring!!!

Is it so crazy I'd rather he (and all of us) be judged solely on his (our) talent on a talent show and not be patronized on account of an SCI, or a lucky recovery?

Maybe that isn't what happened, which is why I said "emblematic" of something we face as PWD that isn't that good for us IMO.
                  "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                    This is emblematic of one of the biggest problems we face: being pitied and infantilized for just doing what normal people do: Falling in love. Having a talent. Sharing that talent. Sorry, but not "inspiring" at all. He's just a guy, with a voice and a girlfriend, but his "mild" SCI makes this "inspirational?!. Nope.
                    I'm with you bro, agree 100%... it's quite patronizing and degrading.

The proper trick is to take advantage of that patronizing attitude and capitalize on it. His crutches got him on to the next stage of the competition, good for him. I'm quite sure the simple fact of being in a chair opened a couple doors in my career that would not have otherwise been opened to me, just because people felt pity... now if I can just figure out those damn stairs.

Comment

Personally, I would have been far more impressed if he had come out and sung with no explanation of the crutches. However, I don't think he would have made it that far without the tear-jerking explanation. Frankly, I think his 15 minutes are over. Still, I wish him lots of luck, but now he needs to write his own songs. Stevie Wonder owns that one.

Comment

The problem I have with these stories is: sure, they seem soooo inspirational to the average AB, but in the world of SCI, you are damn lucky if you can get acutely injured, rehab, and then carry on with your life with minimal complications and chase your dreams.

Boy, it sure would be nice to not have to 100% of the time have a pressure sore of some sort, amputate more and more of your body due to osteo, feel crummy for reasons unknown, have uncontrollable pain, etc, etc. After awhile the complications wear you down, and it gets harder to smile and "power through."

The wheelchair is not an issue, it's EVERYTHING else.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
                          So f'ing true.
                          T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
                            So f'ing true.
                            What they said ^ ^ ^ ^

Comment

Originally posted by paraparajumper View Post
                              The wheelchair is not an issue, it's EVERYTHING else.
                              This is what so few people realize. Sure, occasionally life is slightly more difficult because I can't do stairs. But quad life has a lot more challenges than the inability to walk.

Comment

Working...
                              X