Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many cut the back pockets off their jeans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many cut the back pockets off their jeans?

I was warned years ago about the back pockets on jeans and their potential to cause pressure sores. But I had still always just left them on. Although a pair I got recently, the corners of the back pockets just seemed a little thinker than my other jeans. So I had the pockets removed. Anyone else have their back pockets removed? If not, what kind of jeans do you wear?

My wife removes the back pockets and sews them on the side of the legs just below the knee. I keep my wallet in one of the pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by tprewitt View Post
      My wife removes the back pockets and sews them on the side of the legs just below the knee. I keep my wallet in one of the pockets.
      What a great idea, thanks.
      I always take the back pockets off, just to be on the safe side.
      T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

I don't wear jeans, but NL has always cut the back pockets off of dress slacks and sewed the pocket placket shut.

Comment

I buy wheelchair jeans. I have tried a lot of different ones and in my opinion the best are the ones by Endless Ability: https://www.endlessability.com/, am wearing a pair now (I am not associated with the company in any way, just like their products)

Comment

I buy made to measure jeans without back pockets (they're actually quite reasonably priced for my unreasonably tall/skinny ass), but when I had old jeans that fit me I didn't care about pockets. My ischiums aren't sitting on the rivets or seams so I don't see it making a big difference.

I do cut the buttons off of the back pockets of dress pants, but otherwise leave the rest of the pocket intact.

Comment

I don't wear jeans. I leave the pockets in but cut the buttons off other pants. For me it's a pain issue. Sitting on a button can feel like sitting on a nail.

Comment

I suspect the pockets and jeans pressure sore thing is an old wive's tale. If your cushion has sufficient floatation, what is between you and the seat pan should be irrelevant. Based on some 15 years of Levi's and a J2 cushion causing no issues.

Comment

Every year, the Friday before Houston Livestock and Rodeo begins is "Go Texan Day". We're allowed and encouraged to wear blue jeans to work that day.

I bought my husband a pair of wheelchair jeans from USA Jeans http://www.wheelchairjeans.com/ for the occasion.

I think they're well made in the sitter style of wheelchair pants. The denim is the same quality as good commercial brands.

Other than fitting in for the annual office photo, he doesn't wear them very often.

Comment

Originally posted by tprewitt View Post
                    I have a couple like this, too. I usually take off the pockets, or buy "wheelchair" jeans. It's easy and one less potential complication. Although, it has shortened the life of my jeans considerably. They invariably rip where the pocket corners were originally sewn.
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      I suspect the pockets and jeans pressure sore thing is an old wive's tale. If your cushion has sufficient floatation, what is between you and the seat pan should be irrelevant. Based on some 15 years of Levi's and a J2 cushion causing no issues.
                      You have been lucky. I have seen some pretty gnarly pressure ulcers caused by both rear pockets and rivets in jeans.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

My aunt cuts the bottom half off, then makes a new flat hem which makes a big loop. It's something good to grab onto for transfers, dressing and undressing, but still gets me off the bottom of the pocket

Comment

Sewing pockets below the knees, that is a great idea.

I don't wear jeans often. but as a female, I saw a great youtube video suggestion on wearing maternity jeans. At the thriftstore I found a pair. and they work great. There are no back pockets. There are no buttons or zippers to deal with. and the elastic waistband is very wide and soft. so it does not dig in. the legs themselves are also relax fit, and stretchy . Soft denim. oh, and my top covers so no one would ever know what kind of jeans they are.
                          so, now I have two pairs. and I wear jeans now not often but some.

I love the pocket idea. I am going to use that. functional and a cute detail on clothing.

Thanks, C
                          Non-traumatic SCI. Art, Poetry, and the Great Outdoors; these are my passions. My motto: Paint much love, always ~ Connie

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                            You have been lucky. I have seen some pretty gnarly pressure ulcers caused by both rear pockets and rivets in jeans.

(KLD)
                            45 years post and I've never cut off the pockets of any of my pants. Wore Levis regularly until about 10 years ago and for me personally, it's never been a problem. But I've also never had a pressure sore, period.
                            "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X