Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUPID Things Stupid People SAY to Wheelchair Users VENT HERE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Well the good thing is that you don't have to be standing all day long"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky831 View Post
      "Well the good thing is that you don't have to be standing all day long"
      My non-disabled sister once told me....if you encounter a non-disabled person, wherever it is, immediately suggest to them a place to sit down. She informed me that walker folks are ALWAYS looking for a place to sit down. Me, paralyzed at age 7 never knew this "fact" and now I have to laugh about it, and yes, I have practiced this since.

Another response when you're told 'it's nice to see you out': "yes, the gay civil rights movement has helped a lot with that!"

Comment

My sister, for many years, would suggest I get my legs cut off and with prosthetics, would be able to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
          Similar- I was in a bar one night with a bunch of friends having a good time and this older lady came up to me and said "I know you don't know me and I don't know you, but can I tell you something?" I said sure.. "It's just sooo nice to see you out." I bit my tongue and said thanks but I really wanted to say "as opposed to what, being locked in the closet? I also work 40 hours a week, change your perception of handicapped beotch."
          I do that regularly... If people are ignorant, I see no reason to let it slide anymore. I just dont care. You do or say something stupid I'm pointing it out and calling you out for it.

Everyone who knows me, knows where I'm coming from. And will probably substantiate the fact that it's not a good idea to say somthing like that...

I had a guy who thought it was a good idea to unload his emotional vomit on me saying he didnt get accepted to the airforce because of a heart condition he knew he had from birth. I was brutal. I was like "Dude! You knew you had this condition (it was fairly severe) from birth? What the hell made you think you'd be accepted. You've had since birth to come to terms. Why are you unloading this shit on me? Im just trynna have a relaxing night after a long week at work, I'm not a psychologist, this isnt an office and you're not paying me$150 an hour to listen to this and sort your shit out. Bugger off!"

Brutal I know. But I cant give a damn anymore. I've been doing it too long.
          Last edited by Mutley; 14 Jul 2017, 5:21 AM.
          Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
          "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
          (1930- )

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
            I do that regularly... without the name calling (most of the time), but I get the sentiment. If people are ignorant, I see no reason to let it slide anymore. I just dont care. You do or say something stupid I'm pointing it out and calling you out for it.

Everyone who knows me, knows where I'm coming from. And will probably substantiate the fact that it's not a good idea to say somthing like that...

I had a guy who thought it was a good idea to unload his emotional vomit on me saying he didnt get accepted to the airforce because of a heart condition he knew he had from birth. I was brutal. I was like "Dude! You knew you had this condition (it was fairly severe) from birth? What the hell made you think you'd be accepted. You've had since birth to come to terms. Why are you unloading this shit on me? Im just trynna have a relaxing night after a long week at work, I'm not a psychologist, this isnt an office and you're not paying me$150 an hour to listen to this and sort your shit out. Bugger off!"

Brutal I know. But I cant give a damn anymore. I've been doing it too long.
            Damn Mutley, I thought I didn't give a fuck, but you really, really don't.

From now on my main goal in life is to decrease the amount of shits I give until I reach your zen-like state.

Comment

"Whoops! Sorry."

Can anybody guess when that is said? I bet we've all experienced it.
              Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Get my wheelchair, wheels, cushion and backpack from the backseat of the car. Appropriately set it all up. Transfer from drivers seat to said wheelchair. Waitress from cafe I've parked in front of, who's been watching the whole time comes over and asks " you need help?". I'm looking around and confused and reply "What with?"

"The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
                (1930- )

Comment

Completely ramdom Stranger: "Can I ask you a personal question?"

Me: "No"

Professor Bill Johnston
                  (1930- )

Comment

Don't forget the classic "don't run me over". I always follow up with a "don't run ME over".
                    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                      Don't forget the classic "don't run me over". I always follow up with a "don't run ME over".
                      I always reply with "I can't run you over, you're too big. But I can break your ankles like twinkie bars" with an evil grin...

Professor Bill Johnston
                      (1930- )

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                        "Whoops! Sorry."

Can anybody guess when that is said? I bet we've all experienced it.
                        Any encounter within a 5 foot radius of someone else. Or the other:

"Excuse me."

Comment

What happened to you?

I tell them "I got shot" then wait a few seconds to see the expression.
                          Then I add "by a cop" and wait a few more seconds to see the expression worsen.
                          Then I add "on Christmas" and wait a few more seconds to see the expression get even worse. Now I can tell they wish they didn't ask.
                          Then the final touch is "in church".

Then to drive the point home, I ask them what happened to them. Most people understand that I'm telling them that it was an inappropriate question. But it's great fun to do it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                            What happened to you?

I tell them "I got shot" then wait a few seconds to see the expression.
                            Then I add "by a cop" and wait a few more seconds to see the expression worsen.
                            Then I add "on Christmas" and wait a few more seconds to see the expression get even worse. Now I can tell they wish they didn't ask.
                            Then the final touch is "in church".

Then to drive the point home, I ask them what happened to them. Most people understand that I'm telling them that it was an inappropriate question. But it's great fun to do it this way.
                            Wow dude you're freaking genius. I got to use this one. funny af
                            I usually say I fell off a sex swing
                            C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Working...
                            X