Do you get offended by...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you get offended by...

...people use phrases of speech like "hit the ground running" or "stand up for yourself" around/to you? Or when people ask if you want to "walk" around the mall or to the coffee shop or whatever.

Just curious as someone said something to me regarding this today, but I will withhold my personal opinion for the moment.
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    97.50%
    Yes, if they catch and correct themselves
    2.50%
    No, as long as they catch and correct themselves
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by funklab; 06-07-2017, 09:13 PM. Reason: Poll is private no one can see your response

My husband asks if I want to run to the store with him, I normally sarcastically say I'd love to walk anywhere let alone run!!!

Comment

Personally, I think that such use of language shows that the person is not totally focused on your disability and is seeing you as a "regular" person.

I think it is similar to a blind friend of mine, who always says "see you soon" and whom I have teased when saying "Joe, can't you see the point I am trying to make?"!!! Of course I am AB, so it will be interesting to see what others here think.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Personally, I think that such use of language shows that the person is not totally focused on your disability and is seeing you as a "regular" person.

I think it is similar to a blind friend of mine, who always says "see you soon" and whom I have teased when saying "Joe, can't you see the point I am trying to make?"!!! Of course I am AB, so it will be interesting to see what others here think.

(KLD)
        "Regular person," how pejorative is that on your part!!!!

Comment

Not at all. I think it indicates that the person is not just seeing you as a person with a disability...but as a human being. If all they are thinking about is using what they think is PC language, and avoiding the use of the words like "walk", "run", "stand", (or "see" for someone who is blind), I think it is an indication that they can't get past seeing the disability more than the person.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Not at all. I think it indicates that the person is not just seeing you as a person with a disability...but as a human being. If all they are thinking about is using what they think is PC language, and avoiding the use of the words like "walk", "run", "stand", (or "see" for someone who is blind), I think it is an indication that they can't get past seeing the disability more than the person.

(KLD)
            Don't get me wrong, I understand that you have many years as a nurse caring for people with spinal cord injuries and you have many years dealing with your parents who have had disabilities of their own. All of that acknowledged, YOU don't have a disability and can not walk in the moccasins of those of us who tread this road every day.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              Don't get me wrong, I understand that you have many years as a nurse caring for people with spinal cord injuries and you have many years dealing with your parents who have had disabilities of their own. All of that acknowledged, YOU don't have a disability and can not walk in the moccasins of those of us who tread this road every day.
              If you will actually read my post, you will see that I already said this (and I do have a disability which I have not shared with you).

(KLD)

Comment

KLD and Wise have dedicated the better part of their lives to those of us with disabilities. Of course they don't know exactly what it is like, but they have directly experienced the pain and suffering 1000 times more than any of us. They get it.

Comment

If you will actually read my post, you will see that I already said this (and I do have a disability which I have not shared with you).

(KLD)
                  Then share, please share.

Comment

Removed by author as inappropriate to this topic.
                    Last edited by gjnl; 06-08-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Then share, please share.
                      Why should I? You would probably use it against me. Don't know what I ever did to you, but you need to deal with your hostility!!!

(KLD)

Comment

Removed by author as inappropriate to this topic.

Comment

Post removed by author as unnecessary once other posts removed.

Comment

In future, I will try very hard not to engage in any way with you. It just isn't worth my time.
                            I can only hope that you keep that promise.

(KLD)

Comment

If you think I need to deal with my hostility, then I think you need to deal with your lack of empathy and understanding of what it means to live a life with a spinal cord injury and not just pack it up after your shift and go home and live a normal life.
                              Wow! And by "Wow!" I mean WOW!! And by WOW!! I mean what a bunch of bunk!!

You're more than OK with me, KLD! I know that you get it.
                              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                              X