Mark Smith kicked off airplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Smith kicked off airplane

Mark Smith was apparently kicked off an American Airlines flight recently because he used a wheelchair: https://powerchairdiaries.com/2017/0...y-at-the-gate/ .

For those who don't know him, Smith runs a widely-read blog and message board about power chairs, and has written quite a good book, Wheels of Change, http://a.co/atGQ33C about disability.

I saw this on Facebook. Outrageous! I think American will find they messed with the wrong person with a disability on this one. I hope he pursues all legal recourse/files all appropriate complaints, and should get not only a free ticket from American but a formal apology as well. Have been trying to find out what happened since the incident (3/27/17) but without success so far.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 30 Mar 2017, 3:31 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Money talks...I sure hope there is some sort of litigation as a result of this. Unless these airlines start getting hit financially, they will not change their ways.

Comment

Although Mark can be a royal PITA, I hope he at least gets an apology. This same thing happened to me several years ago by Eastern and stranded me in the Philadelphia airport for several hours until Delta stepped in.
        Last edited by Davey; 31 Mar 2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

He should get a whole lot more than a free ride out of this. What happened is unacceptable. I would never fly on AA, and hopefully, others won't either. If you've ever been dragged around on an isle chair, you can imagine his humiliation.

Comment

Yikes, I'm going to Philadelphia in a few weeks and have no choice in airlines, I hope they do not choose AA.
            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

You can get a good sense of Mark by looking at his site wheelchairjunkie.com

Comment

Here's a little more of the story.
                http://wnep.com/2017/03/30/was-passe...to-disability/

and this one

https://hme-business.com/articles/20...garea=mag+&m=2
                Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

What was the reasoning to exiling him? Do we know?
                  I've always felt like we're dehumanized in some ways; this is just more proof of that.
                  Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

I'm with Crappler. There must be a reason (probably a really bad reason), but there has to be some reason. Why would the pilot go out of his way to take him off the plane after they already went through all the trouble to get him on the plane?

As someone who has had to board after all of the other passengers were already on the plane in an aisle chair, I can only imagine the chaos and humiliation of being dragged off the plane on an aisle chair when the plane is full of people. I really wonder what that pilot was thinking... this isn't going to turn out good for him or AA.

Comment

Exactly, an isle chair is a humiliating experience enough, and it's typically done with no other passengers on the plane. There needs to be an explanation as to why this occurred.

Comment

This is how I feel when I have to use an aisle chair. Especially when if I get to be a show.
                        There's simply NO way this happened just because he uses a "wheelchair".

Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
                          I really wonder what that pilot was thinking... this isn't going to turn out good for him or AA.
                          If I had to guess, probably "power" chair...and recent stories of batteries self-combusting. Of course not knowing one battery technology from another...

I see a local TV station aired the story...maybe time for us to pepper national outlet tip lines with the story for better coverage? Seems a better story than that stupid story with outrage that United Airlines wanted its employees to appear 'professional' when taking free flights IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                            If I had to guess, probably "power" chair..
                            My guess too, someone must have freaked about the batteries. Maybe he had some tape on them or something. I cannot imagine the level of discrimination it would take to kick someone off a plane because of paralysis.
                            I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Yep. To go from saying the airline 'gave no indication why I was removed' to deciding to claim 'it was because I'm disabled' sounds more like a martyr looking for a cross to hang himself on than what really probably happened.
                              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
                              X